THE BROWNS BOARD

Heisman Watch

The Gipper

So, as of today, 11/14 the 2013 Heisman Trophy race is far up for grabs. Who could win? It seems the favorites all have certain flaws:

Jamis Winston....potential sexual assault allegations will turn off many if not most voters.

Johnny Manziel...his off season antics have alienated a number of people...who think he got away with getting paid. Plus he had a couple of bad throws vs. Alabama that could cost him.

Marcus Mariota...poor performance vs. Stanford hurt his chances.

AJ McCarron...had done nothing wrong....just isn't "sexy" enough of a name or personality

Tajh Boyd...his team getting thumped by Fla St. derailed his chances quite a bit.

Derek Carr....level of his competition is put into question

Bryce Petty...QB from Baylor....not sure voters would go for another Baylor QB so soon after RG3

Teddy Twatwater....preseason favorite. Not sure why his stock dropped.

Braxton Miller...missing some games hurt...especially when OSU didn't miss a beat without him

Hundley...UCLA QB. Seems to evoke just a ho hum from people

Jordan Lynch...probably played as well as anyone, but being in the MAC won't help him.

Ka'Deem Carrey RB from Ariz. What? A running back win the Heisman? Who came up with such an outrageous concept?

Mike Evans...WR Texas A&M Well, it is Johnny Football that makes him look good. (or is it the other way around?)

Who gets the nod?

So, as of today, 11/14 the 2013 Heisman Trophy race is far up for grabs. Who could win? It seems the favorites all have certain flaws:

Jamis Winston....potential sexual assault allegations will turn off many if not most voters.

He really is the next Roethlisberer!

I think it's between McCarron and Manziel.

In Winston's case, his selection depends upon "voters" & whether innocent or guilty, "perception is reality", so I certainly wouldn't bet on his winning. Time will tell.

I have no clue who might win it. A solid case could be made for several, but even coming up with the finalists is tough this year.

Mike

In Winston's case, his selection depends upon "voters" & whether innocent or guilty, "perception is reality", so I certainly wouldn't bet on his winning. Time will tell.

I have no clue who might win it. A solid case could be made for several, but even coming up with the finalists is tough this year.

Mike

If I were a voter I would not currently touch Winston because:

A. What happens if you give him the award, and there is definitely some fire that sticks where this smoke is. You don't want that embarrassment for the most prestigious award in the US Sports world.

B. He is after all, only a freshman....and if his name gets cleared he would have at least 2 or 3 more opportunities to show that he may be worthy of the award.

C. Others are performing just as capably as he is, and may be just as worthy to win. It would not be like we would be denying the award to the clear cut favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

even a sniff of someone involved in a sexual 'misconduct' charge will turn the voters away.

manziel with his off the field bullshit and back to back bad performances is out.............

i would have said mccarron before the loss today, but now i'm looking dead ass at mariota or carr.

just my take.

BTW, it is bullshit how a couple of weeks before the trophy is given some reporter comes out with the story of winston. BUT DNA don't lie, and believe me there is money exchanging hands as we speak for the 'victim' to change her mind.

when is a school ever going to put pertinent evidence and facts about a crime committted by one of their own over the fact of winning games? tressel would have kicked him off the team by now (if the dude was guilty by a pube).

when is a school ever going to put pertinent evidence and facts about a crime committted by one of their own over the fact of winning games?

If it were the 75th guy on the bench then he'd be gone. But when it's the QB, who is the entire FSU team, and without him they would be 7-4, he's staying

Turns out he was cleared. Maybe that's why they didn't throw him under the bus.

Johnny Football had a better season this year then he did last year, but so did Tebow the year after he won the award. It's going to be a squeaker....lots of politics involved.

The year Tebow didn't win a 2nd Heisman, the west coast boycotted him and he didn't even pick up 3rd place votes from them....and he needed abour 9 more 3rd place votes to win....it's the way it goes....so it may come down to the guy who gets the most 3rd place votes.

Turns out he was cleared. Maybe that's why they didn't throw him under the bus.

Johnny Football had a better season this year then he did last year, but so did Tebow the year after he won the award. It's going to be a squeaker....lots of politics involved.

The year Tebow didn't win a 2nd Heisman, the west coast boycotted him and he didn't even pick up 3rd place votes from them....and he needed abour 9 more 3rd place votes to win....it's the way it goes....so it may come down to the guy who gets the most 3rd place votes.

I think it was really a case of Sam Bradford having a much better season.

Beyond that, I see where ESPN has Andre Williams of BC as being in their Top 3 candidates. That is not a name anyone has put forth before....not that he may not be a legit candidate.

Archived