THE BROWNS BOARD

The Counselor Review

The Counselor

20th Century Fox

R

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some disagreements with a lot of movies fans over this one.

As a matter of fact after I'd made up my mind I looked at a very general survey that stated that viewers really didn't like THE COUNSELOR, a Ridley Scott Cormac McCarthy collaboration. Also one of our regular readers went with me and he hated it. So don’t blame me if you do too.

I believe Scott is a very talented director even though I don't love everything he's done. McCarthy, on the other hand, is one of my favorite authors and I've read many of his novels including Blood Meridian, All the Pretty Horses, No Country for Old Men and The Road.

If you are familiar with any of these I think it's safe to assume you agree with me that the tone across the board could easily be described as bleak.

I mean there are times that McCarthy makes Schopenhauer seem like Walt Disney.

The title character here, the counselor himself,(Michael Fassbinder) is an attorney who is taking the first couple shaky steps over the ethics line.

He's gotten involved, albeit in a minor role, in a big money drug scheme that involves some foolish, some bad and some truly evil people. When I say truly evil I mean it.

In the grand philosophy it occurs to me that his inability to fully comprehend that evil is part of the message, if there is a message, of this film.

I'm also reminded of Billy Pilgrim and the Vonnegut idea that we are all victims of a series of circumstances. But these circumstances are horrible.

One little series of events takes the counselors life and fate in an entirely unforeseen direction and regardless of his intentions or involvement there is no turning back, no explanations and no second chances.

Another slightly less literary philosophical statement comes to mind, one that we've all heard before; shit happens.

I thought the acting was first class with Javier Bardem as an irresponsible playboy, Brad Pitt as the ice cold and pragmatic go between who tries to warn the counselor that he may be in over his head, Cameron Diaz as the ice queen, and Penelope Cruz as the innocent.

I warn you in advance that this film is not for everyone but if you are already Cormac McCarthy aficionado I'm going to guess you will be intrigued with this one. If not you will probably think I'm out of my mind.

A

WSS

I guess my main objection to it is not its grotesque depressing nature.....but the fact that the "dialog" was not so much a conversation between people so much, but merely a long series of pontifications.

It was like reading "Quotes from Boring or Depressing Philosophers".

Maybe the guy just wants to be a Modern Day Shakespeare.

It didn't work as entertainment, for me. But maybe that is because I am getting to old for having movies try to remit "life lessons" to me.

Only Cameron Diaz provided some entertainment.

At least she did well in her part as the fucking cunt....and I do mean that as a double entendre.

haven't seen it, but now knowing the people involved (scott and mccarthy) i'll be sure to check it out.

i think the trailer gives away too much as i could prob easily spell out what happens in this movie just knowing what i've seen and what i expect from mccarthy. shit they literally show the brad pitt throat slit scene in that trailer. so i take it the couselor takes care of biz and he and cruz knew what they were doing all along?

but javier bardem as an 'irresitible' playboy is a far stretch on a visual sense. he's one guy that doesn't 'clean up' that well. (see 007 skyfall).

Archived