THE BROWNS BOARD

Last Vegas Review

Last Vegas

CBS films

pg 13 105 MIN

Okay gang, look, if you went to see me THE COUNSELOR on my recommendation and are now completely and utterly depressed I've got one that should boost your spirits, kind of like a chaser after a really rough shot of booze. To be honest I didn't quite know what to expect from LAST VEGAS. I knew that the cast is carrying more gold then Fort Knox with all the Oscars they've won. What you can easily guess is that it's going to be a four or five person buddy picture and probably revolves around a trip to Sin City.

Outside of that I was wondering whether it would be more like THE HANGOVER; the seniors tour, or an urban version of the OVER THE HILL GANG RIDES AGAIN.

As it turns out it's neither. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think this is anything new and groundbreaking but it is a pleasant and well done tale of friendship redemption and romance for some decent people who, thanks to the passing of time, are, shall we say, out of warranty.

The Flatbush four were a bunch of kids, not brothers by birth but best friends who, even so fate has carried them to the four corners of the United States, have shared that bond for many decades.

Billy (Michael Douglas) a rich but aging Peter Pan is about to marry a sweet young woman less than half his age.

Archie (Morgan Freeman) is miserable and living with a son who treats him like a feeble child.

Sam (Kevin Kline) loves his wife but is bored to death with old age and would really like to stray if only for a weekend.

Paddy (Robert De Niro) is a bitter old widower who seems content to spend the rest of his life in his bathrobe gazing at pictures of his departed wife, all the while nursing a grudge against Billy which, as you will find out, is the key to the film.

With the aid of a little skullduggery, the boys convince Paddy to take a trip with them to Las Vegas without letting him know the reason is actually to throw Billy a bachelor party.

Along with an array of amusing little situations in which the boys party, gamble and make passes at young women there is one situation that opens up an old wound.

On top of their other problems both Billy and Paddy have been smitten by the charms of a sweet natured though past her prime lounge singer. (Mary Steenburgen)

LAST VEGAS manages to conduct itself in an adult manner, to coin a phrase, serving up a lot of fun and a lot of empathy while never crossing the line into vulgarity.

And unlike THE COUNSELOR, the audience is rewarded with no less than five happy endings, one for each of the all star characters.

Nothing fancy here, just some good old feel good entertainment.

B +

WSS

Last Vegas

CBS films

pg 13 105 MIN

Okay gang, look, if you went to see me THE COUNSELOR on my recommendation and are now completely and utterly depressed I've got one that should boost your spirits, kind of like a chaser after a really rough shot of booze. To be honest I didn't quite know what to expect from LAST VEGAS. I knew that the cast is carrying more gold then Fort Knox with all the Oscars they've won. What you can easily guess is that it's going to be a four or five person buddy picture and probably revolves around a trip to Sin City.

Outside of that I was wondering whether it would be more like THE HANGOVER; the seniors tour, or an urban version of the OVER THE HILL GANG RIDES AGAIN.

As it turns out it's neither. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think this is anything new and groundbreaking but it is a pleasant and well done tale of friendship redemption and romance for some decent people who, thanks to the passing of time, are, shall we say, out of warranty.

The Flatbush four were a bunch of kids, not brothers by birth but best friends who, even so fate has carried them to the four corners of the United States, have shared that bond for many decades.

Billy (Michael Douglas) a rich but aging Peter Pan is about to marry a sweet young woman less than half his age.

Archie (Morgan Freeman) is miserable and living with a son who treats him like a feeble child.

Sam (Kevin Kline) loves his wife but is bored to death with old age and would really like to stray if only for a weekend.

Paddy (Robert De Niro) is a bitter old widower who seems content to spend the rest of his life in his bathrobe gazing at pictures of his departed wife, all the while nursing a grudge against Billy which, as you will find out, is the key to the film.

With the aid of a little skullduggery, the boys convince Paddy to take a trip with them to Las Vegas without letting him know the reason is actually to throw Billy a bachelor party.

Along with an array of amusing little situations in which the boys party, gamble and make passes at young women there is one situation that opens up an old wound.

On top of their other problems both Billy and Paddy have been smitten by the charms of a sweet natured though past her prime lounge singer. (Mary Steenburgen)

LAST VEGAS manages to conduct itself in an adult manner, to coin a phrase, serving up a lot of fun and a lot of empathy while never crossing the line into vulgarity.

And unlike THE COUNSELOR, the audience is rewarded with no less than five happy endings, one for each of the all star characters.

Nothing fancy here, just some good old feel good entertainment.

B +

WSS

I'd like to thank you for using the large print and bold. My vision isn't getting any better.

• 2 months later...

Another one I watched recently. Not bad, it had some quite funny moments, but generally quite vanilla. If it hadn't been acted by the guys that were in it I wouldn't have given it a second glance and would have missed nothing. I think it's more the novelty of seeing people like morgan freeman playing an even older guy and messing around with strippers - the scene where he's escaping his bedroom window was very funny, but was already included in the trailers...

Archived