THE BROWNS BOARD

Movies

Westside Steve

Top five is tough but ill give it a whirl:

5., Toy Story.: an amazing achievement that changed animation forever. Possibly the first animated movie that parents could enjoy as much as their children

4. Aliens: the rare sequel that surpasses the original (which was also great) scary as hell to me and really gives you a hopeless isolated with no help coming feeling. The final showdown between Ripley and the queen alien is just awesome.

3. Silence of the lambs: The two best human antagonists of all time in a single film. Anybody not scared by buffalo bill? Bullshit. It puts the lotion on its skin.

2. Jaws: in my opinion the scariest movie of all time. Scarier than Texas chainsaw massacre. Scarier than exorcist. Bruce the shark is a ruthless antagonist that can't be reasoned with, can't be understood. An inhuman eating machine. Due to Spielbergs less is more approach the few scenes the shark actually appears instead of being corny are terrifying. Tell me you can watch jaws then feel comfortable swimming in the ocean. Go ahead, tell me.

1: Forrest Gump. My favorite movie of all time. I'll always watch Forrest Gump when its on. Great great movie. Possibly the most endearing character ever. You root for Gump. You know it.

Honorable mentions:

American Psycho

Shawshank redemption

Terminator 2

Do you think Toy Story is the greatest trilogy of all time? Its a valid argument

Jaws is Spielbergs best film, and alot of critics argue it to be one of the greatest films ever made. I actually prefer Alien to Aliens but i see why other people like the opposite. The 2nd has more action and is easier to watch. I also adore The Shining by Kubrick. Bale in American Psycho is awesome.

The only one i am sketchy with is Foress Gump. It is good, but it is overrated IMO. It beat Pulp Fiction for best picture so Thats prolly why i think so lol

Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.

I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.

No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.

Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.

Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.

Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.

Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"

Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.

I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.

Boogie Nights isn't horrible but when you start talking about the greatest movies of all times it isn't in the discussion.

Forrest Gump is far and away the best movie of all time. Let's do a check list of all of the major story line/cinematic/social issue types it hits.

Coming of Age? Check

Drama? Check

Romance? Check

Comedy? Check

Action? Check

War? Check

History? Check

Sports? Check

Family? Check

College? Check

Strip Club? Check

Race Relations? Check

Substance Abuse? Check

Politics? Check

Industry/Business? Check

All this with Tom Hanks playing a mentally challenged character. The only thing it's missing is fantasy (which a case could be made for) and animation. I highly doubt there is any other single movie which contains that many major cinematic themes while also being extremely enjoyable to watch.

As for foreign movies check out City of God from Brazil. A bit violent but an amazing movie nonetheless.

Boogie Nights isn't horrible but when you start talking about the greatest movies of all times it isn't in the discussion.

I believe with time (it already has helped) Boogie Nights will get more love. I think its craft is just unmatched. I like style with a director and PTA has insane style. The opening shot of the film shows every single character in one take. Its stuff like that i love about it

We're the millers looks awesome. I love Sudakis.

Yeah, he's hilarious. Was great on SNL too. If you rent it (which you should!), definitely watch the extra footage at the end.

I actually loaned Princess Bride to someone at work. They didn't like it. Guess you have to have a certain type of humor to enjoy that one.

Past casts? The 70s were overrated. Most if the eighties stunk. The early to mid nineties were classic. Will ferrells contemporaries were horrible. I literally think the hader/sudakis led casts of the last few years have been the best since the early nineties. Bone up on the old casts on netflix before you start in on how great it USED to be.

but even though it's impossible to pick only five and this list might sway on a daily basis here are five from me.

A Clockwork Orange

Casablanca

The Wizard of Oz

Annie Hall

Rocky

WSS

Not bad....except for Annie Hall....which I would probably put on my list of the Top 5 movies that I never want to see again.

I don't know how anyone can just say "these are my top 5". But I can fairly well come up with a Top 25....and in some of these I incluse a compilation of movies. In alphabetical order, here are 25 that Top my list:

Animal House

Back to the Future Trilogy

The Big Lebowski

Casablana

Chicago

(A) Clockwork Orange

Die Hard 1&2, not beyond those

The Godfather Trilogy

Ground Hog Day

Hitchcock Trilogy of Rear Window/Vertigo/North by Northwest

The Holy Grail (Monty Python's)

Jurassic Park

Lawrence of Arabia

The Lord of the Ring Trilogy (plus add The Hobbit to this)

Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs (same "universe")

Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones Series (except the second one)

Rocky (I particularly...but may include some of the others as well...but not all)

Shawshank Redemption

Some Like It Hot

Stalag 17

Star Trek Series (only some: Wrath of Kahn/Voyage Home...with the whales/Undiscovered Country

Star Wars Series

The Sting

Dr. Strangelove

Toy Story, particularly #3

The Wizard of Oz

(even cutting down to this many was difficult for me. there are probably a couple of dozen more that I would like to list)

If anyone has ever seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Roberf Ford? Just viewed it the other day and its a very very underrated western and one of the most beautiful and well acted films ive ever seen

I agree, this one nearly made my top 5. It definitely makes my top 10.

Archived