THE BROWNS BOARD

Different angle of Mike Tomlin moving onto the field of play

Richiswhere

Yes, it looks like he saw the thing on the screen, the took a somewhat sneaky step toward the field, seeing where the guy was, then made a quick jump out of the way....conveniently timed late.

I guess I would like to know what the precedent is for taking away a draft choice.

Yes, it looks like he saw the thing on the screen, the took a somewhat sneaky step toward the field, seeing where the guy was, then made a quick jump out of the way....conveniently timed late.

I guess I would like to know what the precedent is for taking away a draft choice.

Well the NFL did take New England 1st round pick for taping the Jets signals and fined BB $500K.

There was the Jets Strength who tripped the Dolphins player on the sideline. He was suspended for the whole season without pay.

Kraft likely drops half a million on a weekend trip to Vegas. No big shakes. Now losing a 1st is a horse of a different color.

The Steelers have a 1, 2, 4,5,6,7. Recall they traded their #3 to the Browns for their #4 last year.

I personally don't think the league would make them give up a first rounder for this situation. Now, if he made contact with the runner and had clearly impeded him? Perhaps.

But for purely selfish reasons it would be nice to see the Squibs further diminished by losing some kind of pick. Maybe the 2 or the 4?

Interesting article from the apparent "Steeler" point of view.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/12/2/5163426/steelers-mike-tomlin-kick-return-fine-penalty-suspension-draft-pick

What makes me laugh about this article is that this writer seems to think that the "Steeler way" was all about some above board righteous way that that team does things. BOLLIX. The Steelers have always been one of the dirtiest teams in the NFL, from Mean Joe Greene.....to Hines Ward to James Harrison to many others.

The Steelers taking the high road? This guy exhibits all the delusions of the typical Steeler fan.

New angle clearly shows "intent" IMO.

But what it also shows is that there was a trailing official that easily could have thrown a flag. I'm curious as to why he did not.

Tomlin will be fined, but I doubt a pick will be taken.

Different take on the article here, Gip. I read it as a fairly scathing rebuke of Tomlin.

Different take on the article here, Gip. I read it as a fairly scathing rebuke of Tomlin.

Seconded. The guy is saying that Tomlin has brought shame on the Steelers. You know I'm relatively new to the sport, so I don't know much about the 'Steeler Way' - but it sounds like it's basically what everyone should be anyway. The legal way, the moral way. So I don't see why it's so connected with them in this guy's mind.

New angle clearly shows "intent" IMO.

But what it also shows is that there was a trailing official that easily could have thrown a flag. I'm curious as to why he did not.

Tomlin will be fined, but I doubt a pick will be taken.

Oh, I agree that it was a scathing rebuke on Tomlin. My point was that this guy's rebuke on Tomlin was for his violation of "The Steeler Way" which this writer seems to think means that this organization is always above board, always does things with integrity, always plays by the rules, always wins fairly, always takes the high road.....to which I say HORSESHIT!!

Now, I would not disparage the Rooneys and the way they have conducted their business....but as for their on field play, the Steelers are and have been one of the dirtiest teams in history from their players being cheapshot artists to their coaches not being above performing dirty tricks.

My point being that what Tomlin did is PRECISELY "the Steeler Way".

I still can't figure out why the official didn't throw a flag on Tomlin.

Seriously.

Except that, it's the old "squeelers get calls and no calls because they went to a superbowl before".

It's a black eye for pukesburg (they don't care), and for that NFL ref.

Oh, I agree that it was a scathing rebuke on Tomlin. My point was that this guy's rebuke on Tomlin was for his violation of "The Steeler Way" which this writer seems to think means that this organization is always above board, always does things with integrity, always plays by the rules, always wins fairly, always takes the high road.....to which I say HORSESHIT!!

Now, I would not disparage the Rooneys and the way they have conducted their business....but as for their on field play, the Steelers are and have been one of the dirtiest teams in history from their players being cheapshot artists to their coaches not being above performing dirty tricks.

My point being that what Tomlin did is PRECISELY "the Steeler Way".

In all of my years of watching football and I go all the way back to the mid 70's, the dirtiest football play that I ever saw was Turkey Jones on Bradshaw. Pot, meet kettle!

The "Steeler Way" is to deny the NFL existed before 1972.

It is also to deny they lucked out on the Immaculate Reception, to deny Renfro was in, to deny the refs robbed the Seahawks in the Superbowl, to deny Big Ben is an ass, to exalt praise on headhunter Harrison, etc.

The "Steeler Way" is also a combo of luck & skill. I have hated them since 1970, and it will never change.

In all of my years of watching football and I go all the way back to the mid 70's, the dirtiest football play that I ever saw was Turkey Jones on Bradshaw. Pot, meet kettle!

Yea, OK, that was one dirty play......40 years ago. But for the previous 10 or so years and for the last 40 the Steelers have engaged in innumerable dirty plays.....and have pretty much held reign for having the "dirtiest player in football" for that whole time.

Listening to his presser now. He sounds like he got properly bollocked by the Rooneys. He's talking shit, like "I'm sorry, I've jeapordised the image of the game, it was my fault, I should have been aware" etc. all the stuff you'd expect to hear from the PR department.

It is also to deny they lucked out on the Immaculate Reception, to deny Renfro was in, to deny the refs robbed the Seahawks in the Superbowl, to deny Big Ben is an ass, to exalt praise on headhunter Harrison, etc.

The "Steeler Way" is also a combo of luck & skill. I have hated them since 1970, and it will never change.

You didn't mention steroids. :P

I heard that. There is a neighbor near me with Steeler stickers on the bumper, guy wears a Steeler Jersey. Frigging bandwagon idiot.

The NFL came down hard on Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who was fined $100,000 Wednesday and may still cost his organization the modification or forfeiture of draft choices for interfering with Baltimore Ravens kick returner Jacoby Jones on Thanksgiving night.

The sanctions were imposed by NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson.The potential impact on Pittsburgh's draft choices "will be considered after the final order of the 2014 draft has been determined," the league announced in a statement

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2013/12/04/mike-tomlin-fined-100000-sideline-interference-ravens-jacoby-jones/3868569/

NFL mobile app just said Tomlin was fined 100k

c'mon. enough is enough. let the fine stand and then leave it at that.

talking about fucking with their draft picks is insane on the level of what the NCAA did to OSU for some kids selling gear to buy some cheeseburgers.

c'mon. enough is enough. let the fine stand and then leave it at that.

talking about fucking with their draft picks is insane on the level of what the NCAA did to OSU for some kids selling gear to buy some cheeseburgers.

I agree in principle that they should probably not be messing around with a team's draft picks for something like this....after all, the Ravens still won the game.

But....WTF.....when it comes to the Steelers, hell, hammer their ass.....just because they are the Steelers. :excl:

The NFL came down hard on Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who was fined $100,000 Wednesday and may still cost his organization the modification or forfeiture of draft choices for interfering with Baltimore Ravens kick returner Jacoby Jones on Thanksgiving night.

The sanctions were imposed by NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson.The potential impact on Pittsburgh's draft choices "will be considered after the final order of the 2014 draft has been determined," the league announced in a statement

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2013/12/04/mike-tomlin-fined-100000-sideline-interference-ravens-jacoby-jones/3868569/

What I bolded is what I don't quite understand. Are they basically saying that, if they do better and win more games, that they will take away a higher pick? How will the order of the draft affect the pick? Will they force Baltimore and Pittsburgh to swap firsts if the Steeler's have a higher choice?

That all sounds pretty sketchy from the NFL's standpoint.

What I bolded is what I don't quite understand. Are they basically saying that, if they do better and win more games, that they will take away a higher pick? How will the order of the draft affect the pick? Will they force Baltimore and Pittsburgh to swap firsts if the Steeler's have a higher choice?

That all sounds pretty sketchy from the NFL's standpoint.

Yea, bottom line, I don't expect them to do anything really about taking away a draft choice or anything.....nor do I in my heart of hearts believe it is warranted. But.....if they do stick it to them, I ain't gonna cry....or even sing the blues.

Archived