THE BROWNS BOARD

City schools to have 2-hour delay day after Super Bowl

TRU STatus

City schools to have 2-hour delay day after Super Bowl

Thursday, January 29, 2009

By Joe Smydo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh Public Schools will operate on a two-hour delay Monday because of the Super Bowl, Superintendent Mark Roosevelt said today.

Noting that Sunday's big game means a "late night," Mr. Roosevelt said the delay should cut down on student and staff absenteeism.

He said the district operated on a two-hour delay the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl three years ago.

What a joke.

You wouldn't understand the concept of even being in the Super Bowl, but I will explain to you how a city reacts after their team is in one.

Few, if any, people actually show up to work or school the next day. If a school gives a 2 hour delay then it often encourages more kids to go to school becuase they can sleep in. Parents make their kids go to school since they were alloted time to sleep in. It is an effective way to increase attendence. How exactly does calling a two hour delay to increase attendance make a school less educated?

I love how there are fans on here bashing Pittsburgh for calling a two hour delay and others bashing Pittsburgh for not closing schools all together..

Also, up to 14 inches of snow is expected in Pittsburgh between Sunday and Monday. If the forecast is right schools will be closed for a few days.

I love how you people insist Pittsburgh is a redneck city despite it being an urban city.

If Pukesburgh really supported their team, they wouldn't bother with school at all on Monday. We all know that when our Browns finally win...or even get to the Super Bowl, the entire city will burn down...err...shut down the day after!

Nice take 'clone'

Living in Pa, it really does sicken me how much this state revolves around the Steelers...I cant even watch the news anymore. 3 minutes of real news, then all steelers BS.

"A pittsburgh man was carjacked and killed leaving work downtown this afternoon...we're gonna go live to the strip were theres a new Big Ben sandwich!"

Living in Pa, it really does sicken me how much this state revolves around the Steelers...I cant even watch the news anymore. 3 minutes of real news, then all steelers BS.

"A pittsburgh man was carjacked and killed leaving work downtown this afternoon...we're gonna go live to the strip were theres a new Big Ben sandwich!"

We are supposed to take your sorry azz serious ??? With the Video Of one of your Heroes Punching a Chick in the Crotch. What the FREAK -ever you wack-job !!! !

We are supposed to take your sorry azz serious ??? With the Video Of one of your Heroes Punching a Chick in the Crotch. What the FREAK -ever you wack-job !!! !

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say.

Is that L337 speak or something?

English please.

The reactions here are hilarious. It's not only a Pittsburgh thing dumb asses but rather a nationwide fact. The day after the Super Bowl is one of the most called off days of the year which is why some are proposing the Super Bowl be moved to Saturday. The school system figures if they implement a two hour delay they'll increase their chances of having a better percentage of the student body show up the day after. I GUARANTEE if Cleveland EVER makes it to the Super Bowl the city will do the same. My suggestion....... Keep talking mock drafts.

As opposed to non-stop "doom and gloom" bullshit. I rarely watch the news for that reason alone and rely on the internet for most of my information. I don't want or need to hear about the 47 burglaries/fires that transpire each week in any given city across the United States. If you were a Pittsburgh fan you'd welcome the exposure as I'm sure you would if they did the same in Cleveland. Get over it or move away. :rolleyes:

I'd honestly rather hear about sports teams every 5 minutes than the normal bs the news gives.

You know what's sad?

Look at how well the Cavs are doing right now and all we hear is how our new NFL coach is a dick because he fired the leak.

The press in Ohio flat out sucks.

If we had a decent sports reporter he's look at what we've got, how it compares to the systems the Jets ran and say who was most likely to stay and go. Then they would break down what we needed and what spots in the draft we'd most likely be able to find those. Instead we keep hearing how Eric is a douche and asshole and how we're in for 4 more years of the same BS just because the press doesn't like our new head coach.

And no one here kid yourselves, if the Browns were in the Superbowl all you would hear on every news segment of every station is Browns this or Browns that.

Pittsburgh gives me hope that not every championship or good franchise has to come from L.A. , New York or Boston. While I hate the Steelers with all my heart and I think their city is a filthy hole....

I still appreciate their success.

With that said,

Go Cardinals.

Agreed

C-A-R-D-I-N-A-L-S!!!!!!!!!

CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived