THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayor of Phoenix uses the Terrible Towel as a snot rag

ClevelandFanForLife

Almost Cleveland's Man of the Year... but then he apologized

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,137585

Everyone in the Cardinals organization, from the head coach down to the practice squad players, has been very careful not to give the Steelers any bulletin-board material this week. If they've mentioned the Steelers at all, it's been only to talk about their great respect for them.

That's not by accident, either. They're being deliberately careful not to provoke the Steelers, and so far, they haven't. And that's why I'm guessing that Ken Whisenhunt would like to strangle Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon today.

Mayor Gordon and Big Red, the Cardinals mascot, held up a Terrible Towel at a rally yesterday, and Big Red used it to wipe his armpits. He then gave the towel to the mayor, who pretended to blow his nose on it, and then threw it on the ground. You can see footage of the towel desecreation here.

If you think the Steelers are above getting mad over such a petty little thing, you'd be mistaken. After the Titans beat the Steelers earlier in the season, a few Titans players stomped on a Terrible Towel. And even later in the playoffs, after the Titans lost a game that would've set up a rematch with the Steelers, linebacker Larry Foote was still harping on it.

"That's what they get for trying to humiliate us and rub it in, for not showing any class," Pittsburgh linebacker Larry Foote said. "We wanted to play them again, but they couldn't hold up their end of the bargain. That's what they get for stomping on the towel. We're stepping on them right now."

As dumb as this stuff might seem to you or me, it really does make a difference to some players. Being "disrespected" makes players angry. Anger, even if it stems from something trivial and childish, can motivate a guy in a way that even winning can't. Anger works.

For his part, the mayor has apologized, saying, "At no time did anyone intend, in any way, to offend the Steelers organization and their many fans, supporters and traditions." So I guess the mayor sees it as an honor for an object to be bathed in his snot. I'll be honest with you: I'd vote for a guy with such holy snot.

Keep checking Shutdown Corner throughout the week, and we'll keep you apprised of any further developments with Mayor Gordon's snot.

Gracias, Awful Announcing.

Almost Cleveland's Man of the Year... but then he apologized

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,137585

Everyone in the Cardinals organization, from the head coach down to the practice squad players, has been very careful not to give the Steelers any bulletin-board material this week. If they've mentioned the Steelers at all, it's been only to talk about their great respect for them.

That's not by accident, either. They're being deliberately careful not to provoke the Steelers, and so far, they haven't. And that's why I'm guessing that Ken Whisenhunt would like to strangle Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon today.

Mayor Gordon and Big Red, the Cardinals mascot, held up a Terrible Towel at a rally yesterday, and Big Red used it to wipe his armpits. He then gave the towel to the mayor, who pretended to blow his nose on it, and then threw it on the ground. You can see footage of the towel desecreation here.

If you think the Steelers are above getting mad over such a petty little thing, you'd be mistaken. After the Titans beat the Steelers earlier in the season, a few Titans players stomped on a Terrible Towel. And even later in the playoffs, after the Titans lost a game that would've set up a rematch with the Steelers, linebacker Larry Foote was still harping on it.

"That's what they get for trying to humiliate us and rub it in, for not showing any class," Pittsburgh linebacker Larry Foote said. "We wanted to play them again, but they couldn't hold up their end of the bargain. That's what they get for stomping on the towel. We're stepping on them right now."

As dumb as this stuff might seem to you or me, it really does make a difference to some players. Being "disrespected" makes players angry. Anger, even if it stems from something trivial and childish, can motivate a guy in a way that even winning can't. Anger works.

For his part, the mayor has apologized, saying, "At no time did anyone intend, in any way, to offend the Steelers organization and their many fans, supporters and traditions." So I guess the mayor sees it as an honor for an object to be bathed in his snot. I'll be honest with you: I'd vote for a guy with such holy snot.

Keep checking Shutdown Corner throughout the week, and we'll keep you apprised of any further developments with Mayor Gordon's snot.

Gracias, Awful Announcing.

It's worse now that Myron Cope has passed, bone head move for sure.

it is bad that myron cope has passed. the terrible towel, no matter how much we hate to admit it, is a good thing- not for sports, but for children with autism. the purpose for the terrible towel started as a way to help autism research and 100% of the proceeds still go to that. it is a very admirable thing, i just wish there was another way to raise the funds.

it is bad that myron cope has passed. the terrible towel, no matter how much we hate to admit it, is a good thing- not for sports, but for children with autism. the purpose for the terrible towel started as a way to help autism research and 100% of the proceeds still go to that. it is a very admirable thing, i just wish there was another way to raise the funds.

es

Mryon Copes son attends the school the towel directly benefits and why do you wish there was another way to raise the funds? The terrible towel is a piece of Pittsburgh and something that sells in droves on a yearly basis. Yes it's a part of Steeler history but also a part of a man everyone loved Pittsburgh native or not. He was a hell of a sports reporter and SI recently recognized his achievements. Many in S.I consider him on of the greatest of all time and specifically reflect on his work in S.I in the past. Browns fan or not it's worth reading about Myron Cope. He never intended for the Towel to take off like it did and there is a pretty funny story behind it. Either way it is what is and I have a few terrible towels I call my own and keep close by on game day.

It's still so gay.

Steeler fans have the option of saying "here's 20 bucks for the kids, keep the little yellow towel, I'm going to go to the stadium and root for my team like a man, I don't need a gimmicky femmy yellow towel to wave, in fact I wouldn't be caught dead waving one of those things on TV ... I have some dignity."

Zombo

It's still so gay.

Steeler fans have the option of saying "here's 20 bucks for the kids, keep the little yellow towel, I'm going to go to the stadium and root for my team like a man, I don't need a gimmicky femmy yellow towel to wave, in fact I wouldn't be caught dead waving one of those things on TV ... I have some dignity."

Zombo

It's an icon because the Pittsburgh Steelers made it one, starting with Lynn Swann. Myron Cope himself at one time said he wasn't a "gimmick guy" in a interview which is when Ed Bouchette whom I can't stand said "You know your contract is coming up" and Cope's response was "looks like I'm a gimmick guy!" It took off because it was a part of Myron and a part of the Steelers take it or leave it. A good number of teams in the NFL have tried to emulate it INCLUDING the Cleveland Browns and whether you want to admit it or not the Stadium explodes when the towels are swinging because as I said it's a part of Myron, a part of the Steelers and a part of Steeler nation. It's Pittsburgh in towel form.

Guest ATENEARS

Yeah, the terrible towel is gay. You might be supporting children with autism, but you are also supporting homosexuality and cheaping this great sport.

Stop waving the gay towels, donate anonymously.

It's an icon because the Pittsburgh Steelers made it one, starting with Lynn Swann.

Yeah, well he was a ballerina too, I'm not surprised he took to the towel waving.

A good number of teams in the NFL have tried to emulate it INCLUDING the Cleveland Browns

Yep, and it didn't take ... because it's gay.

It's Pittsburgh in towel form.

So I take it that it smells like stale Iron City, urine and pierogi farts.

Zombo

Yeah, well he was a ballerina too, I'm not surprised he took to the towel waving.

Yep, and it didn't take ... because it's gay.

So I take it that it smells like stale Iron City, urine and pierogi farts.

Zombo

I wouldn't be surprised, people carry them everywhere game day. Go watch the NFL Films "Steeler nation" video they talk about it. It also didn't take because it's a Pittsburgh thing and will forever be a Pittsburgh thing. It's not just some towel people wave around, it's a part of Pittsburgh, it's a part of Mryon, it's a part of Super Bowl history. It's a symbol of a franchise and didn't take off anywhere else because everywhere else it's a meaningless towel. I suppose the towel is worse than all the Retards that wear dog collars and dog bone necklaces and bark in one of the Cleveland end zones?

I suppose the towel is worse than all the Retards that wear dog collars and dog bone necklaces and bark in one of the Cleveland end zones?

Oh yeah, way worse. Those guys may eat milkbones, but they wouldn't get caught dead waving a femmy hand towel at a football game.

Zombo

--I guess Pittsburgh supports the autistic but mocks the "Retards"

es

Mryon Copes son attends the school the towel directly benefits and why do you wish there was another way to raise the funds? The terrible towel is a piece of Pittsburgh and something that sells in droves on a yearly basis. Yes it's a part of Steeler history but also a part of a man everyone loved Pittsburgh native or not. He was a hell of a sports reporter and SI recently recognized his achievements. Many in S.I consider him on of the greatest of all time and specifically reflect on his work in S.I in the past. Browns fan or not it's worth reading about Myron Cope. He never intended for the Towel to take off like it did and there is a pretty funny story behind it. Either way it is what is and I have a few terrible towels I call my own and keep close by on game day.

i say that because i am tired of seeing them, not because they they benefit a good cause

Oh yeah, way worse. Those guys may eat milkbones, but they wouldn't get caught dead waving a femmy hand towel at a football game.

Zombo

The NFL is launching a line of what the call "trophy towels" this offseason. I suppose not a single fan will buy one becuase its not tough enough? Maybe Quinn can wrap his little hurt finger in one while he sits on IR.

I wouldn't be surprised, people carry them everywhere game day. Go watch the NFL Films "Steeler nation" video they talk about it. It also didn't take because it's a Pittsburgh thing and will forever be a Pittsburgh thing. It's not just some towel people wave around, it's a part of Pittsburgh, it's a part of Mryon, it's a part of Super Bowl history. It's a symbol of a franchise and didn't take off anywhere else because everywhere else it's a meaningless towel. I suppose the towel is worse than all the Retards that wear dog collars and dog bone necklaces and bark in one of the Cleveland end zones?

Holding dog bones makes you tough....

Thats why most Steeler fans get upset when it disrespected. Poeple's ignorance of what they are actually doing is upsetting. Thanks for understanding its more then just a way to say "Go Steelers". It helps care for those with mental disablilties.

Zombo

Poor word choice on my behalf. Hey at least Browns fans are good at digging where digging isn't necessary. Shall we try and snow ball this debate in another direction? What would you like me to say so we can get things off track and take things another way. Your choice. OH I see I've already done that let's talk about how the Steeler fan base is inconsiderate of the plight of the mentally challenged.

What would you like me to say...

How about something along the lines of:

"Yeah, the towels are gay. No reason why we can't support autism without looking like fools. Actually, I wish we were tougher and thicker-skinned like Browns fans. You guys are the best fans out there. That is why I am on your board on the eve of my team playing in the Super Bowl. I have a man-crush on each and every one of you. Sometimes I just read the posts and pretend I am a Browns fan and I can feel my self worth rising. Steeler fans are such punk-asses, it's embarrassing. Oh well ... I wish you guys were rooting for us ... but I know you're not ... but that's Ok ... because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"

Zombo

Guest ATENEARS
The NFL is launching a line of what the call "trophy towels" this offseason. I suppose not a single fan will buy one becuase its not tough enough?

Oh great, now Pittsburgh has infested gayness into the entire league. Don't people know that most Steeler fans are female? I mean, there can't be too many pansy ass males waving them gay things, can there be?

Guest ATENEARS
It's not just some towel people wave around, it's a part of Pittsburgh, it's a part of Mryon, it's a part of Super Bowl history. It's a symbol of a franchise and didn't take off anywhere else because everywhere else it's a meaningless towel.

I think I'm starting to understand. When my daughter was about 18-months old she use to cling to her favorite 'blankie'. I just don't understand what that has to do with football?

How about something along the lines of:

"Yeah, the towels are gay. No reason why we can't support autism without looking like fools. Actually, I wish we were tougher and thicker-skinned like Browns fans. You guys are the best fans out there. That is why I am on your boad on the eve of my team playing in the Super Bowl. I have a man-crush on each and every one of you. Sometimes I just read the posts and pretend I am a Browns fan and I can feel my self worth rising. Steeler fans are such punk-asses, it's embarrassing. Oh well ... I wish you guys were rooting for us ... but I know you're not ... but that's Ok ... because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"

Zombo

Here is my suggestion. Go back and read my previous posts, I believe you can sort by poster and read what I contribute. You'll quickly find out that I'm not a troll and that I've said countless times I stop by for a different perspective. If thinking I have some sort of man crush on the Browns and it's fan base appeases your mind, wonderful and I'm happy to help. I've already read and posted what needed to be posted on my primary Steelers board and I drop in here every once in a while. Lately it's been because of the mock draft coverage that we aren't discussing on my steelers board because we're getting ready to go to something called the Super Bowl, maybe you've heard of it. I enjoy the arguing and love it when people get butt hurt or just don't know what else to say so they post shit like you did above. I think the man crush is the other way around otherwise the Cleveland fan base wouldn't hate the Steelers and it's organization quite so much.

My hope is that the Browns become relevant again. The division will be stronger in the process and the Steelers will be better as a direct result, competition breeds evolution. The Steelers are still very relevant in Cleveland and unfortunately the Browns aren't NEARLY as relevant in Pittsburgh maybe because we've been stomped that ass for the last decade. The Ravens have effectively taken your relevance and threw it out the window. Here is to hoping a new coaching staff and maybe a better draft than your last get you where you need to be....Corey Williams and Dante Stallworth sure as hell aren't. Thankfully Rogers panned out.

You'll quickly find out that I'm not a troll and that I've said countless times I stop by for a different perspective.

Never accused you of being a troll. I commented on a Browns fan's post about the Terrible Towel and you felt it was necessary to give your perspective. And I find your perspective amusing.

I'm sorry, the whole towel thing is just gay, there is nothing you can say to change my mind. And you can come up with all kinds of excuses as to why you are here but it all comes down to m-a-n-c-r-u-s-h.

It's Super Bowl eve, and you want to spend the night with us.

It would be flattering if weren't so creepy.

Apparently this mock draft thing is your "beard". I can tell you this ... If the Browns were playing in the Super Bowl tomorrow and I was jonesing for draft information (yeah right) the LAST place I would look for it would be on a Steeler board of any kind.

You like us ... you want to be us ... your snatch is brown and orange tonight.

Zombo

Never accused you of being a troll. I commented on a Browns fan's post about the Terrible Towel and you felt it was necessary to give your perspective. And I find your perspective amusing.

I'm sorry, the whole towel thing is just gay, there is nothing you can say to change my mind. And you can come up with all kinds of excuses as to why you are here but it all comes down to m-a-n-c-r-u-s-h.

It's Super Bowl eve, and you want to spend the night with us.

It would be flattering if weren't so creepy.

Apparently this mock draft thing is your "beard". I can tell you this ... If the Browns were playing in the Super Bowl tomorrow and I was jonesing for draft information (yeah right) the LAST place I would look for it would be on a Steeler board of any kind.

You like us ... you want to be us ... your snatch is brown and orange tonight.

Zombo

Why would i go digging for mock drafts on my own when a good number of the prominent ones are being posted and discussed here daily? I don't have to do any leg work because someone here is doing it for me. As I've said several times before as well I also appreciate the opinions of a few on this message board. I don't see what the big deal is....when you jump on your PC or lap top do you ONLY come to the browns board or do you visit several? In my case I visit several and the Browns board happens to be one of my stops. Is that a problem for you? Also what should I be doing on Super Bowl eve? Currently I'm watching Casino Royal on my new LCD, surfing the internet and occasionally posting. Should I be running around the house in a Steelers loin cloth yelling some Indian war chant?

Should I be running around the house in a Steelers loin cloth yelling some Indian war chant?

LMAO. I don't know what it'll do for the Steelers, but it might spice things up with the little lady of the house.

Zombo

Archived