THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets Game Impressions

TypicalBrowns

Boy do the Browns ever suck. All the excitement that Hoyer engendered in the team has completely dissipated. This is one of the most pathetic browns teams that I can remember for years and years. At least with McCoy they won a few big games. Campbell is a bum. Weeden is a bum. Everyone is a bum. I don't know if I'll bother to watch the Steelers spank us next week. Why bother taking that sight with me into the off-season?

Blah blah blah, us complainers don't love the Browns enough. Whatever. They suck and even the biggest homer can't say otherwise without being a bald-faced liar.

A couple of things really stand out for me from that game.

1. We had about 6 or 7 attempts in a row, plus 3 later, to convert from short yardage to the goal, and couldn't do it. We are supposedly one of the better teams at converting 3rd and less than 3, so the struggles here are even more confusing. 4 red zone trips and one TD is not winning football.

2. We again let a decent lead slip right before half-time - we gave them a TD with a minute-something to go, got the ball back, punted, and let them get another 3 points to tie the game at the half. This is extremely frustrating - I don't know whether it's bad plays or bad design, but the alarming frequency leads me to believe it's more scheme than individual mistakes. Also there's the psych thing, as if the players are expecting to give up 7-10 points in the last 2 minutes of a half.

3. When are we going to start calling out Josh Gordon on dropped passes? Oh, right, when he's not having a record breaking season. Greg Little on the other hand - buh-bye. Everyone said this was your year, now that there's a number one to take the coverage/pressure off of you, you could step in to the number 2 role you seem best suited to. The nearest you come to being a number 2 is the stinking turd you leave on the pitch most weeks.

4. Josh Cooper isn't terrible. He had one drop that I saw, but that was on Campbell, not being able to hit him anywhere near the chest from about 8 yards away. Whether this performance is good enough to keep him around next year or not I don't know - one more game, which he'll probably get Sunday, and he's not eligible for the PS I think - that'll bring him up to 8 games?

5. Our DBs are just too short to cover anyone with height. We've seen it with that random TE from the lions, last week against Jeffrey/Marshall and this week against David fucking Nelson, as he's now known in my flat. Seriously, his first TD of the season, in week 16, against us. Of course. Followed by his second TD of the season! Shocker. Point is, anyway, that through nobody's fault but genetics, we cannot cover tall receivers. We need to get that fixed. Skrine doesn't fill me with confidence, which, while it's a step up from filling me with dread last year, isn't going to cut it.

6. Jason Campbell isn't the answer. He is who he's always been, an inconsistent QB, capable of having great games and equally capable of laying a giant Greg Little on the field, and you're never sure which you're going to get from him. The good thing with him I think is that he must be able to make all the throws, and all the decisions in practise time - so he could be a good mentor for whichever hotshot QB we get to replace him.

7. Edwin Baker now has more rushing TDs that anyone on the team. One per game. Be honest now, if we'd traded for a big name RB, who's come in and over two games gone 25 carries for 100 yards and 2 TDs we'd probably all be getting a bit excited. He's done it against the Bears and Jets, very different run Ds in terms of ability, so that probably evens it out.

8. Bonus point - our special teams weren't awful today. Very solid return game from poyer and whittaker. But remember Benjamin has to come back - I can't see all three of them being on the active roster next year.

A couple of things really stand out for me from that game.

2. We again let a decent lead slip right before half-time - we gave them a TD with a minute-something to go, got the ball back, punted, and let them get another 3 points to tie the game at the half. This is extremely frustrating - I don't know whether it's bad plays or bad design, but the alarming frequency leads me to believe it's more scheme than individual mistakes. Also there's the psych thing, as if the players are expecting to give up 7-10 points in the last 2 minutes of a half.

I think it is the play-calling, which seams to get stupid whenever we have the lead with a few minutes before the half or the end of the game. The coaches need to learn how to manage the clock better. That Jets field-goal before the half doesn't happen if the Browns had taken more time off the clock on the prior drive, and given they got stuffed or covered on three plays in a row on that empty red zone drive, they should've taken the field goal. Two plays are the difference between 13-7 and 10-10 scores.

Chuds biggest weakness IMO is his inability to realize when NOT to be aggressive, and Hortons is his inability to dial up the right defense when protecting a lead. He gets too predictable with 2minutes to go. He needs to mix blitzes with bluffs and standard coverage instead of just playing prevent defense.

Boy do the Browns ever suck. All the excitement that Hoyer engendered in the team has completely dissipated.

You are coming through loud and clear regarding the Hoyer fueled optimism that rallied the troops. Since his injury, the coaching staff has been utterly useless in building on

that momentum . Special teams suck canal water, the defense regressed and the running game has been an absolute soup sandwich. Gordon has been the only ray of sunshine

in an otherwise colossal fuck up. So it goes

I was not impressed one bit...And not to say I "told ya so" .But I did state that Campbell was garbage...He's exactly what I thought he was...Caca!!

Archived