THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Media FINALLY Hardballed Banner/Haslem

Soju

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Haslam-and-Banner-Address-Coaching-Change/2b393ab0-7b32-4126-9115-b818b4dec86b

Haslem went through 2 bottles of water during the media questioning. They actually asked some tough questions and put them on the spot. It was great to see. Maybe the Cleveland media is growing some balls?

Watch it if you have the time, it's pretty good.

First, thank you for posting this. I hadn't watched it yet.

If nothing else, agree with it or not, Jimmy and Banner gave their reason for firing Chud. People weren't really receptive to it, and the question was asked over again in slightly different terms about a half a dozen times, but the answer remained the same: Chud didn't improve the team this year to the satisfaction of the FO.

Now, there is going to be some debate, of course, about whether their expectation was reasonable, but that's not really a resolvable discussion. What ends up mattering is that they had expectations for improvement that were not met. Personally, I can agree a little with both sides: I don't think that Chud improved the team in 2013, and I think a new coach is responsible for demonstrating at least a trend toward improvement. That being said, I agree with the statement by one of the reporters that earlier in the year, the FO seemed to be supporting the plan to not improve at all until after the 2014 Draft, and then at the end of the season, they crucified Chud for going along with that plan.

My major problem with the responses by Banner and Haslam in this presser was the rather arrogant refusal to apologize for the mistakes that resulted in wasting yet another season with no forward progress. To me, this ties into the honesty thing I've spoken about in other threads. I don't want unjustified arrogance or false confidence from the FO. What I want is realism, honesty, and a willingness to accept responsibility, even when it is inconvenient. If things are a mess during the season, admit that they are a mess. Don't tell me everything is fine and I need to just have trust in the decisions you already know were poor ones. That way I know that you (the FO members) know that something is wrong and you're not oblivious to it. The false confidence act just makes it seem like the FO isn't seeing what's happening and, to me, that's much more alarming then hearing them say part-way through the season, "This isn't going the way we expected; we've made a mistake here."

I agree with you, although I think at one point Banner did acknowledge (not apologize) that they made a mistake this year I think (referencing to hiring Chud). I can't remember where in the 1/2 hour presser he said that though.

I agree with you, although I think at one point Banner did acknowledge (not apologize) that they made a mistake this year I think (referencing to hiring Chud). I can't remember where in the 1/2 hour presser he said that though.

Right at the 3 stooges comment.

He interrupted haslam sort of and said he just wanted to add that if even the fans are skeptical it that it shows they are in it to win now and not sit around waiting or something or other.

Happy new years fans.

Right at the 3 stooges comment.

He interrupted haslam sort of and said he just wanted to add that if even the fans are skeptical it that it shows they are in it to win now and not sit around waiting or something or other.

Happy new years fans.

They really think doing yet another coaching churn is going to magically right the ship? Rebuilding for 2015? Pay attention my friend. Rams fans came here and told us Shur-loss was a dud. Now we got Eagles fans coming here and dissing Banner- I don't need anyone telling me Lombardi was a piss-poor hire.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Haslam-and-Banner-Address-Coaching-Change/2b393ab0-7b32-4126-9115-b818b4dec86b

Haslem went through 2 bottles of water during the media questioning. They actually asked some tough questions and put them on the spot. It was great to see. Maybe the Cleveland media is growing some balls?

Watch it if you have the time, it's pretty good.

It will be must view when I get back home-

I listened to the presser on the radio, and I thought the media did a great job of asking tough questions. The 2 were back peddling and tripping over themselves. I like the fact that Jimmy seemed in charge and the Banner kinda was knocked down a peg.

Anyone else notice Banner seemed pretty nervous? Or does he always come off like that? I REALLY wanted someone to skewer him when he mentioned Andy Reid going 5-11 his first year and ask him why Banner retained him then and not Chud now. That was an opening that none of the reporters picked up on.

Anyone else listen to Cleveland Browns Daily? Seems like they were Banner's cheerleaders with all the justifying they did in the show?

Anyone else notice Banner seemed pretty nervous? Or does he always come off like that? I REALLY wanted someone to skewer him when he mentioned Andy Reid going 5-11 his first year and ask him why Banner retained him then and not Chud now. That was an opening that none of the reporters picked up on.

Anyone else listen to Cleveland Browns Daily? Seems like they were Banner's cheerleaders with all the justifying they did in the show?

That show is broadcast from the Browns training facility. SO they can't really bad mouth them

In response to the responses to my complaint about the two of them not apologizing: Yes, they did admit to making a mistake, but I think you have to admit that the hiring was a mistake when you fire the guy in the same year; it's sort of implied, at that point. There's a difference, though, between admitting that you made a mistake and apologizing, and when specifically asked if they would like to apologize, they scoffed and implicitly refused.

As for the question about why Banner retained Reid then and not Chud now, I'm assuming Banner would have given the same answer he gave for the entire press conference: When Reid went 5-11, Banner felt like the team was making progress toward improvement; this year with Chud, he didn't. Like I said earlier in the thread, you may not agree with his assessment, but that's his answer. It's not that he's not answering, it's that you don't agree with his answer.

In response to the responses to my complaint about the two of them not apologizing: Yes, they did admit to making a mistake, but I think you have to admit that the hiring was a mistake when you fire the guy in the same year; it's sort of implied, at that point. There's a difference, though, between admitting that you made a mistake and apologizing, and when specifically asked if they would like to apologize, they scoffed and implicitly refused.

As for the question about why Banner retained Reid then and not Chud now, I'm assuming Banner would have given the same answer he gave for the entire press conference: When Reid went 5-11, Banner felt like the team was making progress toward improvement; this year with Chud, he didn't. Like I said earlier in the thread, you may not agree with his assessment, but that's his answer. It's not that he's not answering, it's that you don't agree with his answer.

It's not that "we" don't agree with his answer, just about everyone including the Browns players & others in the NFL don't agree with it either. Banner essentially made 2014 a throw away year too. The assistant coaches are free to walk, and I'd bet the majority of them do, So if results oriented Jimmy doesn't see drastic improvement this year, it's bye-bye Banner and Lombardi. They put all their eggs in the 2014 basket., and they had better be right.

Anyone else notice Banner seemed pretty nervous? Or does he always come off like that?

you mean like a rat wondering to itself if it's the right decision to go after that piece of cheese with a guilotine hanging over it's head?

I dont buy that they fired Chud, becaus the team didn't improve. I told you'll after the Trich debacle that Banner and Lombardi were trash and hated by the players. Remember Dimitri Pattersons words when the Browns hired Banner? Other players asked about Banner and he told them, "he's a snake don't trust him" If your a free agent would you wan't to play for this organization? or if your a top coaching candidate would you take the job? Especially if you can't hire your own coordinators even.

I dont buy that they fired Chud, becaus the team didn't improve. I told you'll after the Trich debacle that Banner and Lombardi were trash and hated by the players. Remember Dimitri Pattersons words when the Browns hired Banner? Other players asked about Banner and he told them, "he's a snake don't trust him" If your a free agent would you want to play for this organization? or if your a top coaching candidate would you take the job? Especially if you can't hire your own coordinators even.

Nope, no stability regarding the players. I thought at the time the Lombardi hire was a bad move, and now I'm near certain of it. Especially if he brings in McDaniels. There's zero possibility the Browns will be able to land a top coaching candidate, after how the shit-canned Chud after one year.

The next HC probably will get to at least hire his own OC & DC, Read between the lines- Turner is POed beyond belief, and he can easily pick up another coordinator gig somewhere- all he has to do is tell his agent to let other teams know he's available. Horton is probably gone too- if not for a HC gig, another DC position.

I told Canton Mike that Lombardi was a crappy little stab in the back weasel when

they hired him.

They didn't just mess with Chud's career, they messed with all the other coaches' careers.

I would have thought, that with Haslam's relationship with the Steelers, that he'd know that

a coach must have more than a year to implement the changes needed.

But no, he's a knee jerking weasel. And Banner? Lobardi? Who is ever going to trust

these three potatoheads in the future? Have a comfortable, dependable career with a GOOD

organization? Why in the hell would you trust these three dumbasses and make a change?

No, the hc they know and want, is the guy they fired Chud for. And they want him to have those 10

draft picks next draft. Then they can say, and they will, that more wins next season shows they

were right to change coaches.

To the guy they wanted all along.

Yes, the Browns fo is now shown to be the worst, most untrustworthy fo in the NFL.

I believe dry mouth is a tell... LOL... after two bottles of water I think Haslam's bladder was full. He spent the last 5 minutes squirming like he was being interviewed by the FBI. Notice his hand shaking on sip #1?

Love his close with "we're in it for the long haul." Chud's mistake was believing that.

Appreciate the post of the link.

If Haslam wants to build his legacy with the Browns as refusing to accept poor performance he fell short in his knee jerk reaction. He should have fired Banner for selecting Chud if he truly believes Chud couldn't move this team forward. TCPO likely has it right in the thread where he says they intended for Chud to be a one year fill in all along. It is obvious through their actions and even Norv threw it in their face in his exit interview they were clearly gearing everything for 2014. If there are no other reason given other than "lack of improvement" I have to think he was doomed all along unless he pulled a miracle and had a winning season with this team.

Archived