THE BROWNS BOARD

Off-Season/PreSeason Preparation

Spectralcow

You know what I would really like to see from the Browns in 2014 that I've rarely (if ever seen) in the past 10+ years? A team that shows up in Week 1 of the regular season ready to compete. I'm not saying that they have to be in midseason form, but maybe something comparable to other teams. Take last year's QB situation, for instance. In hindsight, everyone wants to claim that the Browns woes were partially due to Hoyer's injury, and to some extent, they probably were. But why did it take two regular season losses and an injury to Weeden to get Hoyer in if he was the best option? People have replied that the staff knew enough to leapfrog him into the starting position for Week 3, but why was he 3rd on the depth chart up to that point anyway? Where was the training camp and preseason evaluation that should have told the staff that Weeden wasn't going to work out?

It wasn't just last year and the QB situation. My biggest issue (of many) with Romeo Crennel was that his Browns teams showed up every season looking like they hadn't even been out of bed since the season before.

For the start of 2014, it would be nice if, by Week 1, the team was in shape and settled into an effective starting point. It doesn't have to be mid-season form, but it shouldn't take two regular season weeks of looking ridiculously bad before they are ready to compete with other teams.

Archived