THE BROWNS BOARD

Bob Stoops

RoyceRolls

I've wanted him for years, I think the first time his name came up was when we took Butch.

He could bring his brother with him and we could build a real AFC North defense.

However ... it seems that Banner and Lombardi are obsessed with the offensive side of the ball ... so this sensible hire would shock me.

Zombo

I had a scary moment where I couldn't remember which OK college Weeden played at, and thought maybe if Stoops got the job he'd want to keep him around.

Panic over.

I had the exact same reaction.

Regardless, i still think whoever the new HC is, they're going to want to take a look at Weeden . . .

I'd currently like us to go Stoops or Malzahn from what I've read so far - McDaniels just reeks too much of cronyism to me with the Lombardi & same Agent connections.

I really don't know much about college football, but I'd take a guy like stoops, with over a decade of coaching at a top level to a guy in Malzahn who has only been a HC for 2 years, and, assuming he joined us, would have left 2 different teams in consecutive years - it doesn't strike me as someone looking to build a dynasty.

I had the exact same reaction.

Regardless, i still think whoever the new HC is, they're going to want to take a look at Weeden . . .

I'd currently like us to go Stoops or Malzahn from what I've read so far - McDaniels just reeks too much of cronyism to me with the Lombardi & same Agent connections.

Oklahoma State guys, relax. I think whoever comes in will take one look at the Weeden tapes and send him packing. There was a reason Chud started Campbell over Weeden the end of the year- Jason isn't much, but he's got more to offer than Wee-Done.

Oh and cronyism? That's exactly the reason I'm afraid McDaniels is #1A AND #1B on their coaching search. Belichick disciples as a general rule have fared extremely poorly when promoted to head coaches.

Not specifically aimed at Stoops, but I fear for any NCAA head coach coming here. For every Chip Kelly, there are far more Steve Spurriers. I would rather see a HC with some NFL head coaching experience or the hot coordinator of the week, before a college HC with no NFL experience.

Not specifically aimed at Stoops, but I fear for any NCAA head coach coming here. For every Chip Kelly, there are far more Steve Spurriers. I would rather see both a HC with some NFL HCing experience, then the hot coordinator of the week, before a college HC with no NFL experience.

That's the one knock on him. But then, we've tried the new hot coordinators in Chud and Shurmur and the rest and it's not worked out, so I would be ok with them going somewhere different.

That's the one knock on him. But then, we've tried the new hot coordinators in Chud and Shurmur and the rest and it's not worked out, so I would be ok with them going somewhere different.

Agreed. That's why while I'm not drooling over Josh McDaniels, I do like the fact that he's been there and done that. I know it wasn't great, but hopefully he learned from his mistakes and that coupled with not having GM personal duties like he did in Denver, might make for a better HC. The coordinator de jour, with no HC experience, usually results in RAC, Shurmur or Chud.

Archived