THE BROWNS BOARD

2013 Draft

LondonBrown

I think it depends on the player. You know when you take a guy like Mingo who, while he's an athlete, hasn't played a lot of football, you're going to have to develop him a bit, in the hopes that after a year or two he comes good. If, instead, you take a 'plug and play' guy like Luke joeckel, you want him to be a player right away. So:

Mingo - better start looking pretty good towards the second half of this season

McFadden - needs to start contributing more towards the end of the season

Slaughter - better hope he can get off the PS or he's a wasted pick

Bryant - already a good player, great value in 7th round

Gilkey - looks like he was getting playing time towards the end of the season, and looked like the big, 7th rounder he was. Standard.

How long do you give rookies to come good? Or is it already a bust for the Browns?

At a minimum nearly every player drafted is expected to be "good" in some capacity. How good (all the way to "great") and in what capacity depends upon where the player is selected in the draft...

First Round selections are generally expected to be good enough to start and contribute to an offense or defense Year 1 - Game 1. From there expectations tail off to 7th Rounders, who, if they make the final cut, may only be expected to contribute to Special Teams. There are exceptions, however, and you named one of the two on our roster that come to mind.

Mingo was drafted as a "designated pass rusher". He was a first rounder who was not expected to start immediately, but was expected to have a significant impact on the course of any game through his pass rush ability. Down the road he'll be expected to develop the skills and physicality to be an every down player. Unfortunately the bruised lung he suffered early on set his rookie development back some.

Garrett Gilkey was drafted as a purely developmental player. Gilkey was from a small college (Chadron State) so he could not be judged against his competition, but he had size (6'6, 320) and raw talent. In him the Browns saw a player that they felt could develop skills to be a starter down the road (one or two years) so they took him in the 7th Round. As a rookie he was asked to be a good learner and a good practice player acting as part of squad that impersonates the upcoming opponent. If you noticed, he started a couple late season games... primarily due to injury, but in part to assess his progress.

At a minimum nearly every player drafted is expected to be "good" in some capacity. How good (all the way to "great") and in what capacity depends upon where the player is selected in the draft...

First Round selections are generally expected to be good enough to start and contribute to an offense or defense Year 1 - Game 1. From there expectations tail off to 7th Rounders, who, if they make the final cut, may only be expected to contribute to Special Teams. There are exceptions, however, and you named one of the two on our roster that come to mind.

Mingo was drafted as a "designated pass rusher". He was a first rounder who was not expected to start immediately, but was expected to have a significant impact on the course of any game through his pass rush ability. Down the road he'll be expected to develop the skills and physicality to be an every down player. Unfortunately the bruised lung he suffered early on set his rookie development back some.

Garrett Gilkey was drafted as a purely developmental player. Gilkey was from a small college (Chadron State) so he could not be judged against his competition, but he had size (6'6, 320) and raw talent. In him the Browns saw a player that they felt could develop skills to be a starter down the road (one or two years) so they took him in the 7th Round. As a rookie he was asked to be a good learner and a good practice player acting as part of squad that impersonates the upcoming opponent. If you noticed, he started a couple late season games... primarily due to injury, but in part to assess his progress.

Thanks for that, informative for a relative newbie like me.

2013 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Offense

QB Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

RB Giovani Bernard, Cincinnati Bengals; Eddie Lacy, Green Bay Packers

WR Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers; DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans

TE Jordan Reed, Washington Redskins

C Travis Frederick, Dallas Cowboys

G Kyle Long, Chicago Bears; Larry Warford, Detroit Lions

T D.J. Fluker, San Diego Chargers; Justin Pugh, New York Giants

Defense

DL Ziggy Ansah, Detroit Lions; Star Lotulelei, Carolina Panthers; Sheldon Richardson, New York Jets; Kawann Short, Carolina Panthers

LB Kiko Alonso, Buffalo Bills; Sio Moore, Oakland Raiders; Alec Ogletree, St. Louis Rams

CB Tyrann Mathieu, Arizona Cardinals; Desmond Trufant, Atlanta Falcons

S Eric Reid, San Francisco 49ers; Kenny Vaccaro, New Orleans Saints

Special Teams

PK Caleb Sturgis, Miami Dolphins

P Sam Martin, Detroit Lions

KR Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota Vikings

PR Tavon Austin, St. Louis Rams

ST Don Jones, Miami Dolphins

The Browns drafted McFadden one pick before the Honeybadger. Was thought to have character issues. We got Bess in FA for a song.lol

Bess came as a trade....not as a FA....though you are right, we thought we got him for a song. We just didn't know that the song was this:

And not a single Brownie... sigh...

A lot of value in that 3rd round...

Out of 11 Offensive: 5 were 1sts; 2 were 2nds; and 4 were 3rds.

Out of 11 Defensive: 7 were 1sts; 2 were 2nds; and 2 were 3rds.

Out of 5 Others : 2 were 1sts; 2 were 6ths and 1 was a 7th.

2013 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Offense
3 Pick 73 - QB Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2 Pick 37 - RB Giovani Bernard, Cincinnati Bengals;

2 Pick 61 - RB Eddie Lacy, Green Bay Packers
3 Pick 76 - WR Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers;

1 Pick 27 - Pick DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans
3 Pick 85 - TE Jordan Reed, Washington Redskins
1 Pick 31 - C Travis Frederick, Dallas Cowboys
1 Pick 20 - OG Kyle Long, Chicago Bears;

3 Pick 65 - OG Larry Warford, Detroit Lions
1 Pick 11 - OT D.J. Fluker, San Diego Chargers;

1 Pick 19 - OT Justin Pugh, New York Giants

Defense
1 Pick 05 - DL Ziggy Ansah, Detroit Lions;

1 Pick 14 - DL Star Lotulelei, Carolina Panthers;

1 Pick 13 - DL Sheldon Richardson, New York Jets;

2 Pick 44 - DL Kawann Short, Carolina Panthers
2 Pick 46 - LB Kiko Alonso, Buffalo Bills;

3 Pick 66 - LB Sio Moore, Oakland Raiders;

1 Pick 30 - LB Alec Ogletree, St. Louis Rams
3 Pick 69 - CB Tyrann Mathieu, Arizona Cardinals;

1 Pick 22 - CB Desmond Trufant, Atlanta Falcons
1 Pick 18 - S Eric Reid, San Francisco 49ers;

1 Pick 15 - Kenny Vaccaro, New Orleans Saints

Special Teams
6 Pick 166 - PK Caleb Sturgis, Miami Dolphins
6 Pick 165 - P Sam Martin, Detroit Lions
1 Pick 29 - KR Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota Vikings
1 Pick 8 - PR Tavon Austin, St. Louis Rams
7 Pick 250 - ST Don Jones, Miami Dolphins

And not a single Brownie... sigh...

A lot of value in that 3rd round...

Out of 11 Offensive: 5 were 1sts; 2 were 2nds; and 4 were 3rds.

Out of 11 Defensive: 7 were 1sts; 2 were 2nds; and 2 were 3rds.

Out of 5 Others : 2 were 1sts; 2 were 6ths and 1 was a 7th.

Well, as has been said time and time and time again: No one here has any confidence in Mike Lombardi's ability as a talent evaluator.

This last draft was just a poker chip that has gone on to the pile of evidence proving that fact since he was taking the likes of Craig Powell and Tommy Vardell in the first round.

I say Mingo was drafted too high based on performance...he was never even in the running for rookie honors...Lametardi muffed it again...and while your hoping he bulks up...theres also the possibly his body type wont let him bulk up.

I practically begged for us to trade down and take Vaccaro and then scoop up Tyrann Mathieu. Man, I even called it on Vontaze Burfict. Makes me fucking sick.

Rubin, Taylor, Byrant, Sheard, DQ, Burfict, Kruger, Haden, Mathieu, Vaccaro and Ward. Oh, what could have been. Then I never would have taken Weeden either, I would have kept McCoy and had Hoyer too, Vickers and Richardson running behind Thomas, Pinkston, Mack, Warmack and Schwartz.

I should be the GM. I'm available Jimmy Haslam. I could do this better than Lombardi, trust me. I would have had us in the playoffs last year, contending in conference championship this year and winning the superbowl this year/ next year at the latest.

I practically begged for us to trade down and take Vaccaro and then scoop up Tyrann Mathieu. Man, I even called it on Vontaze Burfict. Makes me fucking sick.

Rubin, Taylor, Byrant, Sheard, DQ, Burfict, Kruger, Haden, Mathieu, Vaccaro and Ward. Oh, what could have been. Then I never would have taken Weeden either, I would have kept McCoy and had Hoyer too, Vickers and Richardson running behind Thomas, Pinkston, Mack, Warmack and Schwartz.

I should be the GM. I'm available Jimmy Haslam. I could do this better than Lombardi, trust me. I would have had us in the playoffs last year, contending in conference championship this year and winning the superbowl this year/ next year at the latest.

No...We would still be watching Trich run to darkness and finish 2-14

No, we wouldn't. T-Rich broke Jim Browns rookie record. He was only getting better here in Cleveland, nobody but a select few haters had any issues with Trent. A lot of hate now as of late though, I guess whatever helps you sleep at night, ya know?

No, we wouldn't. T-Rich broke Jim Browns rookie record. He was only getting better here in Cleveland, nobody but a select few haters had any issues with Trent. A lot of hate now as of late though, I guess whatever helps you sleep at night, ya know?

I think you have serious problems stemming from delusion,young man...seek counseling...Trich is done.

Ok, you just compared Trent to Jim Brown - one of, if not, the greatest of all time.

Give Jim Brown a 16 game season his rookie year and he would have had 1000+ easily.

overrating a cheap roookie records and celebrating mediocre talent is stupid. By your arguments Brandon Weeden broke a lot of rookie records but I don't see u jumping on his cock.

TBITCH was 3rd pick overall in 2012 and at best he's a top 5.rb from that draft class.

Quit being stupid.

Honey Codger wound up on IR, remember? Burfict was so great every other team in the NFL (except prison central AKA the Bungles) decided he was too big a character risk.

And give it a rest about T-(run to darkness) Richardson, and Colt (Career backup) MCcoy. Go watch some LeSean McCoy & Aaron Rodgers Youtube, and if you're not smoking something you may get the idea your faves don't quite measure up to these guys ,

Yeah.... we passed on Burfict and signed Bess... LOL...

Give Po credit... he was on Burfict.

But Po, seriously, Dude... you need to give the TR love a rest...

Archived