Her

The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years a Slave

Philomena

Nebraska

Best Actor:

Christian Bale...American Hustle

Bruce Dern...Nebraska

Leonardo DiCaprio...The Wolf of Wall St.

Matthew McConaughy...Dallas Buyers Club

Chiwetal Ejiofor...12 Years a Slave

Best Actress:

Amy Adams...American Hustle

Cate Blanchett...Blue Jasmine

Sandra Bullock...Gravity

Judi Dench...Philomena

Meryl Streep...August: Osage County

Best Supporting Actor:

Barkhad Abdi...Captain Phillips

Bradley Cooper...American Hustle

Michael Fassbender..12 years a Slave

Jonah Hill...The Wolf of Wall Street

Jared Leto...Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress:

Sally Hawkins...Blue Jasmine

Jennifer Lawrence...American Hustle

Lupita Nyongo...12 Years a Slave

Julia Roberts...August: Osage County

June Squibb...Nebraska

Best Director:

David Russell...American Hustle

Alfonso Cauron...Gravity

Alexander Payne...Nebraska

Steve McQueen...12 Years a Slave

Martin Scorsese...The Wolf of Wall Street

Note: The ones in Italics are the only things I have seen.

What strikes me here with this list....and what disappoints me is the narrow focus of these nominations. Everything comes from just a small handful of Films.

My first impression is that this just was not a great year in film or performances.....but then I have seen so few of these. If I go to see them I may change my mind.

On the ones I did see:

Gravity: I thought there were major directorial flaws....and while I like Sandra Bullock I have to think to myself "this cannot be one of the 5 best performances, can it?"

It should win technical awards for its cinemetography and effects....but not for acting or directing.

Captain Phillips: I guess the Academy Awards must have wanted to stick it to Tom Hanks. He probably should have been nominated for this...and many expected him to be the frontrunner. Apparently not. The other guy, the pirate was good. It would not bother me if he won. I don't know about best picture, though I would choose over the only other one I saw: Gravity.

Here are the Oscar Nominations just out:

Best Picture:

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Her

The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years a Slave - win

Philomena

Nebraska

Best Actor:

Bruce Dern...Nebraska

Matthew McConaughy...Dallas Buyers Club - this one OR

Chiwetal Ejiofor...12 Years a Slave - this one

Best Actress:

Sandra Bullock...Gravity - win

Judi Dench...Philomena

Best Supporting Actor:

Best Supporting Actress:

June Squibb...Nebraska

Best Director:

Alfonso Cauron...Gravity

Alexander Payne...Nebraska - win

just my guesses. haven't seen any of them. but i do keep my ear to the ground. the supporting actor and actresses categories i didn't even want to guess.

Best Picture:

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Her

The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years a Slave

Philomena

Nebraska

So far I have seen and reviewed the first 4 but not the second 5. The Studios love to wait until the last minute to release anything with a shot at Oscar. Or they release them so far away and two or three theaters it makes it impossible to go there. I was hoping the BrownsBoard with sport me some plane tickets and passes for the Los Angeles openings but....

Frankly I didn't see anything spectacular in the ones I saw. I I think that American hustle was probably a little bit over hyped and I also hated Gravity.

Speaking of disappointment it was unfortunate that Inside Llewyn Davis didn't at least get a nomination. That one has been my favorite so far. Maybe that's due to the Coen brothers being sort of outsiders or that the film opened with very little fanfare and advertisement.

I will be dragging the Gipper out of his office this week to catch up.

WSS

What strikes me here with this list....and what disappoints me is the narrow focus of these nominations. Everything comes from just a small handful of Films.

My first impression is that this just was not a great year in film or performances.....but then I have seen so few of these. If I go to see them I may change my mind.

On the ones I did see:

Gravity: I thought there were major directorial flaws....and while I like Sandra Bullock I have to think to myself "this cannot be one of the 5 best performances, can it?"

It should win technical awards for its cinemetography and effects....but not for acting or directing.

Captain Phillips: I guess the Academy Awards must have wanted to stick it to Tom Hanks. He probably should have been nominated for this...and many expected him to be the frontrunner. Apparently not. The other guy, the pirate was good. It would not bother me if he won. I don't know about best picture, though I would choose over the only other one I saw: Gravity.

Well I like Sandra Bullock too but I've never thought she was a great actress. As far as Tom Hanks being the target some sort of retribution I disagree. You can't nominate the guy for Best Actor year after year after year for playing basically the same role. Not that he was bad in Captain Phillips, I think he is pretty good, but not the level of the other actors I've seen so far.

I mean it isn't like he's Meryl Streep who creates pretty much a completely new character every time she's on screen.

So does Christian Bale.

WSS

So far I have seen and reviewed the first 4 but not the second 5. The Studios love to wait until the last minute to release anything with a shot at Oscar. Or they release them so far away and two or three theaters it makes it impossible to go there. I was hoping the BrownsBoard with sport me some plane tickets and passes for the Los Angeles openings but....

Frankly I didn't see anything spectacular in the ones I saw. I I think that American hustle was probably a little bit over hyped and I also hated Gravity.

Speaking of disappointment it was unfortunate that Inside Llewyn Davis didn't at least get a nomination. That one has been my favorite so far. Maybe that's due to the Coen brothers being sort of outsiders or that the film opened with very little fanfare and advertisement.

I will be dragging the Gipper out of his office this week to catch up.

WSS

Or, one other possibility is that the Oscar Academy ONLY considers movies that are released toward the end of the year pretty much. They seem to completely ignore the movies that come out the first 11 months of the year, and only consider those released in December.

And we also know that they will almost never consider the big summer box office movies....even though they are the most popular.

Perhaps the only exception to this was Return of the King.

They will far prefer a cutely artsy/fartsy movie like the one we saw yesterday: Nebraska, to The Desolation of Smaug.

(While I enjoyed that movie, I don't believe the aspects of movie making: performing/directing/cinematography etc. were by any means superior in it over The Hobbit)

I don't think Lou and Davis came out early in the season. I'm not exactly sure but it seems I saw it had been released a couple months ago early but just never made it here to the hinterlands until a couple weeks back. I think the Academy had room for one oddball road trip filmed and decided to go with Bruce Dern. He's been around for awhile...

But yes, like they say, out of sight, out of mind. We tend to forget the stuff we saw in January.

WSS

IMHO Tom Hanks really was snubbed big time! He was awesome in the movie Captain Phillips! Academy Awards really do not know quality these days!

how many of the best actor parts have you seen this year, and which ones do you think were inferior to Tom Hanks performance? I think he was very good but not better than any of the others I've seen so far. I still need to see Philomena the wolf of Wall Street and twelve years a slave.

WSS

how many of the best actor parts have you seen this year, and which ones do you think were inferior to Tom Hanks performance? I think he was very good but not better than any of the others I've seen so far. I still need to see Philomena the wolf of Wall Street and twelve years a slave.

WSS

We have seen Dern and DiCaprio and I would say that neither of those performances were any better than Hanks. They were OK, but not better. Have to see the other 3 yet.

We have seen Dern and DiCaprio and I would say that neither of those performances were any better than Hanks. They were OK, but not better. Have to see the other 3 yet.

After seeing HER last night I need to see twelve years a slave and Philomena which will wrap up the best picture category.

The only performance I have yet to see in Best Actor is Ejifore.

I haven't seen one of the other 4 that should be eliminated in favor of Tom Hanks.

(Plus aren't you the guy who was pulling for the Seahawks because you got tired of the same people always in the championship? ;). )

WSS

After seeing HER last night I need to see twelve years a slave and Philomena which will wrap up the best picture category.

The only performance I have yet to see in Best Actor is Ejifore.

I haven't seen one of the other 4 that should be eliminated in favor of Tom Hanks.

(Plus aren't you the guy who was pulling for the Seahawks because you got tired of the same people always in the championship? ;). )

WSS

I think the use of that Boston accent actually took away from the performance that Hanks gave. But as noted....I have seen no performance really any better than Hanks....but the ones I have seen were no worse.

While I haven't seen it, you say that the guy from Llewen Davis may have deserved a nod. I will take your word.

Oscar Isaac did a nice job but I don't think it was Best Actor caliber. I liked the movie inside Llewyn Davis. I did not like Tom Hanks Boston accent first because it didn't sound natural and second he went in and out in my opinion. Hanks has one character he can play well and it doesn't involve an accent.

I really liked DiCaprio's role. Frenetic over the top and on screen 95 percent of the time through a 3 hour film.

WSS

just my guesses. haven't seen any of them. but i do keep my ear to the ground. the supporting actor and actresses categories i didn't even want to guess.

Was the character Jared Leto played in Dallas buyers club based on you?

Oscar Isaac did a nice job but I don't think it was Best Actor caliber. I liked the movie inside Llewyn Davis. I did not like Tom Hanks Boston accent first because it didn't sound natural and second he went in and out in my opinion. Hanks has one character he can play well and it doesn't involve an accent.

I really liked DiCaprio's role. Frenetic over the top and on screen 95 percent of the time through a 3 hour film.

WSS

I guess what bothered me a bit was that it was a bit TOO frenetic and over the top.

Here is an update on the movies and performances I have seen, highlighted.

Best Picture:

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Her

The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years a Slave

Philomena

Nebraska

Best Actor:

Bruce Dern...Nebraska

Matthew McConaughy...Dallas Buyers Club

Chiwetal Ejiofor...12 Years a Slave

Best Actress:

Sandra Bullock...Gravity

Judi Dench...Philomena

Best Supporting Actor:

Best Supporting Actress:

June Squibb...Nebraska

Best Director:

Alfonso Cauron...Gravity

Alexander Payne...Nebraska

All I can say is that that hope that there are better movies/performances in those I have not seen that what I have seen so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now seen all the movies except Her and Dallas Buyers Club

I have seen all the actors except Matthew McConaghy

I have seen all the actresses except Blanchett and Streep, but I was able to rent Blue Jasmine and will watch it tonight

I have seen all the supporting actors but Jared Leto

I have seen all the supporting actresses but Sally Hawkins and Julia Roberts. (Hawkins in Blue Jasmine which I will see)

Maybe after I see the movie tonight I will give my choices.

Yeah mud was good too. A little depressing but good. Mcconaghy has proven his acting chops lately but buyers club was a fucking great performance. Literally transformative. He is nearly unrecogniZable. Think bale in the machinist but a better movie.

I never thought I'd say the academy couldn't ignore mcconaghy forever, but really he may deserve it this year

Yeah mud was good too. A little depressing but good. Mcconaghy has proven his acting chops lately but buyers club was a fucking great performance. Literally transformative. He is nearly unrecogniZable. Think bale in the machinist but a better movie.

I never thought I'd say the academy couldn't ignore mcconaghy forever, but really he may deserve it this year

Having not seen that movie, based on what you and Steve say, I would think that it should come down to him or Christian Bale.

I know that movie is now out on video so I am going to try to pick it up in the next day or two.

I agree McConaughey has taken a couple roles now that he's been well suited for. I do believe he came into the business with a lot of hype and under performed. Or took some bad parts which can hurt you.

I think the example is if you'd never seen more than 1 marlon brando movie and it was a streetcar named desire or the island of dr. Moreau... You'd have a different opinion depending.

WSS

IMO Tom Cruise and Actor in the same sentence is a non sequitur.

So much of the success of an act or relies on whether or not he fits the roles he plays. I don't believe Robert De Niro would be a huge star unless you'd seen him in taxi driver The Godfather etc and only got to see his later comedic roles. I just think there are places the Tom Cruise shines. People like to rag on him because he's good looking eccentric and a Scientologist. Did you see Magnolia?

as far as Tom Hanks maybe someone could list places where he is actually shafted. Meaning that the other four or five performances were significantly weaker than his.

WSS

So much of the success of an act or relies on whether or not he fits the roles he plays. I don't believe Robert De Niro would be a huge star unless you'd seen him in taxi driver The Godfather etc and only got to see his later comedic roles. I just think there are places the Tom Cruise shines. People like to rag on him because he's good looking eccentric and a Scientologist. Did you see Magnolia?

as far as Tom Hanks maybe someone could list places where he is actually shafted. Meaning that the other four or five performances were significantly weaker than his.

WSS

The three most often stated that he coulda/shoulda won are for Saving Private Ryan (over Roberto Benigni who won..Nick Nolte, Edward Norton, Ian McKellen) and Castaway (over Russell Crowe for Gladiator, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Geoffrey Rush) and Big (Dustin Hoffman won for Rainman, Gene Hackman,

Also some say perhaps Apollo 13, Green Mile, League of their Own, Road to Perdition

Archived