THE BROWNS BOARD

Fire Lombardi

Zombo

You can still want him fired, but not over the Bess incident. The story is now out, and Miami is the one with egg on their face. There was no way we could have found out using normal means.

It's Lametardi's fault for trading for the asshole...He didnt do his homework.

You can still want him fired, but not over the Bess incident. The story is now out, and Miami is the one with egg on their face. There was no way we could have found out using normal means.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "normal". It doesn't take a lot of work to find out about arrests/hospitalization etc... Wouldn't have happened in the Lerner era when Lew Merletti was here.

Z

I guess it depends on what you mean by "normal". It doesn't take a lot of work to find out about arrests/hospitalization etc... Wouldn't have happened in the Lerner era when Lew Merletti was here.

Z

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2014/01/when-dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-released-a-statement-telling-the-world-what-kind-of-person-he-wants-as-the-teams-next-genera.html

In shadow of Bess trade, Dolphins looking for integrity

When Dolphins owner Stephen Ross released a statement telling the world what kind of person he wants as the team's next general manager he included this sentence: "This individual also must be a person with integrity who is open-minded and creative."

"Integrity" is a word that should not be ignored here. Ross, I'm told, wanted that in there because right now the Dolphins don't have a very good reputation within the NFL personnel community for, among other things, the manner they traded Davone Bess.

Bess, as has been widely reported this week, is troubled. And as The Herald reported this week, he was troubled before the Dolphins traded him in April 2013 to the Cleveland Browns. Less than one month before shipping Bess out, the Dolphins learned Bess's family had him Marchman Acted so he could be evaluated and receive treatment for the emotional or psychological issues that seemed to be troubling him.

But while the Dolphins knew Bess was troubled, sources confirm they took a don't-ask-don't-tell approach on the matter when shopping and trading Bess. The Dolphins did not offer information on Bess's apparent personal instability, according to multiple sources.

[update: Another source confirms the Dolphins did not offer information but did tell the Browns to "do their homework."]

Now, an aqua-and-orange bleeding Dolphins fan might smile and consider this a coup. They might think the Dolphins pulled the wool over the Browns. Ha-ha, yeah too bad. Buyer beware.

That is not how most NFL teams conduct business.

Most would have simply cut Bess rather than run the risk of seemingly serving up a potential lemon without some sort of disclosure to another team. Why is this?

Well, because even though players come and players go, and front office people come and front office people go, teams remain. And personal reputations remain.

And having a reputation as a team or individual that cannot be a trusted trade partner is a bad thing. You can be certain the people who made the trade for Cleveland will never trust former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland again. You can also be certain the Browns will likely be distrustful of the Dolphins in the future unless fences are mended.

Credibility and respect are currency in the NFL and no one wants to be bankrupt.

You have no idea how many NFL people I talk to tell me about the respect they have for one another despite the fact they want to bash each other's heads in on game day.

Once upon a time the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys fought for NFC East dominance year in and out. And yet Tom Landry served up advice to young Bill Parcells. The Oakland Raiders roster was known an NFL rogue's gallery and yet Al Davis offered advice to practically any young coach or personnel man who called.

There was an honor code among these men and although the times have changed, much of that code remains. Not all of it, but much of it.

The Dolphins broke that code by not disclosing Bess's problems to the Browns. Indeed, if they'd decided they didn't want to break confidence with the Bess family because their son had been a valued member of the organization for four years, the right move would have been to simply cut Bess and walk away.

That message, I'm told has reached Dolphins ownership.

And that's one reason the word "integrity" was used in the statement Steve Ross released when he began searching for a new GM.

Bess wasn't arrested. He was picked up by the police and taken for evaluation at the families request.The Marchman Act allows this. The family pays for this.. Since this was a move by the family, it had every reason to be protected under HIPAA. No way the browns could find out unless they hire a private investigator. Miami probably found out by a hush hush comment on a tip from somebody close to the situation. Something we wouldn't get because whoever tipped had no way of knowing the Phins would trade bess in under a month.

Ireland claims he couldn't say anything for the same reason, violating the families rights, and he probably couldn't. That said, he lost his job over this move and Miami has the egg on their face.....not us. Miami should have simply cut the guy rather than pawn him off on a team who had no reasonable way to find out.

The league has as many resources as do teams. They didn't know.

Fire Lombardi if you wish. Just don't make this the calling card. It's way off base.

I couldn't see drafting Manziel at 26. I will be sick if we trade 4 & 26 for him...

However, I am for drafting Bortles, Bridgewater, or Carr. Not sure where I am as far as trading up for either just yet...

I've been doing my homework, and I'm starting to drop Johnny Hype down my list of "hopeful future Browns QBs"

Bess wasn't arrested. He was picked up by the police and taken for evaluation at the families request.The Marchman Act allows this. The family pays for this.. Since this was a move by the family, it had every reason to be protected under HIPAA. No way the browns could find out unless they hire a private investigator. Miami probably found out by a hush hush comment on a tip from somebody close to the situation. Something we wouldn't get because whoever tipped had no way of knowing the Phins would trade bess in under a month.

Ireland claims he couldn't say anything for the same reason, violating the families rights, and he probably couldn't. That said, he lost his job over this move and Miami has the egg on their face.....not us. Miami should have simply cut the guy rather than pawn him off on a team who had no reasonable way to find out.

Fire Lombardi if you wish. Just don't make this the calling card. It's way off base.

Lombardi and Banner should be fired for a multiple list of reasons.

And like I said, Lew Merletti would have found this out, he is probably the most connected security person in the USA. Like you said, a common PI could have found out ... Merletti would have found out.

This shit didn't happen under Lerner because he had Lew.

Jimmy has Stooges.

Z

Yeah, it might be coincidence, And whoopee shit, Alabama isn't the Seahawks defense. This is the NFL, not trying to get a date with the Prom Queen. They would be seriously guilty of not doing due diligence investigating investigating every quarterback option, if they fell that much in love with Manziel a year early- they're even dumber than I though they were. Where's the interviews, the private workout(s) huh? If true, shooting your mouth off prematurely like that means the Texans can hold The Stooges to a RGIII sell the ranch deal, and Lobotomy might just be dumb enough to do it.

Unfortunately, A&M didn't play the Seattle Seahawks this year. As a matter of fact, no college team did.

So you have to look at the next best thing, and Manziel absolutely gutted the #1 Alabama defense.

Haslam has already shown he's a shoot first, ask questions second kind of guy. He made his mind up on Manziel, went to Banner and said "I want Manziel, ensure we get him". A few days later, Richardson is gone and we have a shiny, new first round pick for ammunition.

It's certainly not a hard leap at all. The question is, why let it leak this early? The only thing I can think of (outside of the obvious answer that they are stupid fucking imbeciles) is that we're trying to con the Texans into taking Manziel or, at the very least, spend their time on the clock waiting on a trade from us.

By saying we want him now, the Texans go into this preparing to trade back to four and take their guy, so they plan for that scenario. Then, draft day comes and they expect us to trade with them and we don't, so they panic and take Bridgewater or something. The St. Louis says "we're taking Manziel unless you trade with us". So we call their bluff, because they're probably still too invested in Bradford to take a QB at #2. So they take Clowney. Then we're sitting at 4, with 2 top QB's still on the board.

This would not be the calling card. It would only be a small denomination chip in a big poker pot.

And like I said, Lew Merletti would have found this out, he is probably the most connected security person in the USA. Like you said, a common PI could have found out ... Merletti would have found out.

Jimmy has Stooges.

Z

Jimmy is probably a little leary about having guys around that have former FBI connections, like Lew Merlitti. Fair to say? :blush:

I want Banner and Lobotomy fired because of the Trent Richardson trade. That's fucked up. Regardless of how you feel about the guy, or whether he has yet lived up to a top 3 runningback or not, the fans in Cleveland loved him, he played hard and brought passion, something the fans fed off of. Lots of people bought Richardson jerseys, as they had planned on him being here for quite some time.

I don't care if they didn't pick him, he was Cleveland's runningback. Then they replace him with a senior citizen at RB in Gayhee and a handful of no-name practice squad players. This FO has no contingency plans WHAT-SO-EVER; not in player positions like Mack and Ward, not in Coaching Staff like Chudzinski. They just cut and trade players with no real plan in place. What the fuck is this, just fucking walk in and wing the motherfucker. Get the fuck out of Cleveland Banner and Lombardi... before the Cleveland fans start issuing death threats again!

I want Banner and Lobotomy fired because of the Trent Richardson trade. That's fucked up. Regardless of how you feel about the guy, or whether he has yet lived up to a top 3 runningback or not, the fans in Cleveland loved him, he played hard and brought passion, something the fans fed off of. Lots of people bought Richardson jerseys, as they had planned on him being here for quite some time.

I don't care if they didn't pick him, he was Cleveland's runningback. Then they replace him with a senior citizen at RB in Gayhee and a handful of no-name practice squad players. This FO has no contingency plans WHAT-SO-EVER; not in player positions like Mack and Ward, not in Coaching Staff like Chudzinski. They just cut and trade players with no real plan in place. What the fuck is this, just fucking walk in and wing the motherfucker. Get the fuck out of Cleveland Banner and Lombardi... before the Cleveland fans start issuing death threats again!

Correction: you loved him. Most everybody else was simply "meh" about him.

Which, coincidentally, is a perfect description of his skills and production.

Finally, some laughter. I can always count on your posts to give me instant comic relief, and once again, you didn't disappoint.

PG I love your passion and loyalty but you are way out there on this one. I hate the current FO regime but this one thing they did very well. I mean hell they should get a medal for getting a first round pick out of T-Rich. I wanted him to be great, I had the jerseys and autograph cards. Its time to face the facts though, this guy is and will always be average to below average at best. Honestly whoever pulled the trigger on this in Indy should be kicked in the balls by each and every Colts fan there is.

The other thing that strikes me about T-rich is the never really sounded like a competitor to me. I never heard any fire out of the guy in interviews. He handled himself with slurred half English and the air of someone who thought they were a legend. It was annoying.

Jimmy has Stooges.

Z

Whatever my friend. I am just trying to reason here....I doubt any team runs intensive background checks on players.. At least to the degree necessary to unearth this. Just saying

Whatever my friend. I am just trying to reason here....I doubt any team runs intensive background checks on players.. At least to the degree necessary to unearth this. Just saying

Not trying to be disagreeable ... and no it is not a reason for firing Lombardi on its own.

But a Billion Dollar corporation should do a a little due diligence before handing a 28-year old 11 Million dollars.

The sharp ones do ... Belcichick does, and I know we did when Merletti was here.

Front office calls Security office: "Hey we're thinking of trading for Davone Bess and giving him an extension, any red flags?"

Security office looks up his address, calls the local police authority "hey, have you had any calls out to 1313 Mockingbird Lane? Really? When? What happened?Thanks."

Ten minutes tops? Just saved the team the $6 million they are about to eat.

Zombo

I don't think it is that easy Zombo....not to mention he may not have been picked up at his address.

This was a family action, so the protocol changes.

I know my point is fair. I'll leave it at that.

I don't think it is that easy Zombo....not to mention he may not have been picked up at his address.

This was a family action, so the protocol changes.

I know my point is fair. I'll leave it at that.

It was at his house. And there is a police record:

"No surprise, then, that the Dolphins had no comment when asked Saturday if they were aware of Bess’ incident at his Cooper City home when it happened 10 months ago. Six Broward sheriff’s deputies were needed to restrain an incoherent Bess that night, according to police records. Cops also witnessed the then-Dolphins receiver screaming, “Hide the guns!” “Where is my weed?” and “I want to get in the end zone; throw me the football!'"

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/19/3879712/actions-of-former-miami-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

"Regardless of whether they knew of Bess’ issues prior to making the draft-weekend trade, they are open to criticism. If they did, why go through with the deal? If not, how could they miss it? It’s not as if the March 2013 incident was hidden. Within two hours of a standard records request by the Miami Herald on Friday, BSO provided the incident report."

Zombo

Archived