THE BROWNS BOARD

Sochi Olympics Kiev Riots

Legacy Fan

What is our state dept doing to ensure the safety of our athletes and their families?

I mean, how attuned to the potential of terrorist activity can Russia really be if their attention is currently occupied by continuing to fuck over the Ukraine?

Fortunately I'm not, nor is anyone I know headed there as an athlete or spectator, but if I were, I'd be unloading those tickets and upgrading my surround sound / theatre and watch it at home.

Chechen suicide bombers are the big problem. Ukraine protesters don't seem all that interested in martyrdom.

I was set to work a pipeline contract with GAZPROM. Myself and the other analysts were told we wouldn't have security off of the site. The gripe started over gas. The locals would be delighted to send an angry mob after some foreigners helping the "bad guys". We opted out.

What is our state dept doing to ensure the safety of our athletes and their families?

I mean, how attuned to the potential of terrorist activity can Russia really be if their attention is currently occupied by continuing to fuck over the Ukraine?

Fortunately I'm not, nor is anyone I know headed there as an athlete or spectator, but if I were, I'd be unloading those tickets and upgrading my surround sound / theatre and watch it at home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/world/europe/us-offers-russia-high-tech-aid-to-thwart-sochi-terror.html?_r=0

Any international event, specially one as large as the Olympics face both internal terrorists and external terrorists threats, while there is always a chance that something would happen, it is something that the host country and the international community try to prevent.

Archived