THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns almost traded for Jim Harbaugh?

BadNewsBrowns

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/ Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh
Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
jimharbaugh.jpg?w=233Getty Images

The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

Email

Ahh, the smell of desperation...

Glad things worked out like they did.

Now keep the coach, keep the GM, re-sign the productive veterans and use those draft picks to stockpile talent... it ...might ...just ...work!

Zombo

SCREW the dumbass media! They're nothing but a bunch of gossip mongers. Go cry somewhere else. I don't give a damn what MAY have happened. I know what DID happen and that's the reality of the situation, so why not try accepting what we have for once?

We HAVE a HEAD COACH, his name is MIKE PETTINE, so support HIM & the hell with with all this past "what if" bullshit. We also didn't give a bunch of much needed picks away.

Mike

SCREW the dumbass media! They're nothing but a bunch of gossip mongers. Go cry somewhere else. I don't give a damn what MAY have happened. I know what DID happen and that's the reality of the situation, so why not try accepting what we have for once?

We HAVE a HEAD COACH, his name is MIKE PETTINE, so support HIM & the hell with with all this past "what if" bullshit. We also didn't give a bunch of much needed picks away.

Mike

I agree. I'd bet any trade for Harbaugh was a long shot - if true.

I find Harbaugh annoying anyway. Maybe a good coach, but for some reason he just annoys me.

Per high ranking sources, that know how Ian Rapoport likes to makes shit up.................

bs%20meter.gif

Sounds like an April Fools prank doesn't it??!! :P

Come on, already. I don't care, the team is structured now in

a very, very upbeat, positive way now.

Harbaugh has gotten into situations where he had serious bigtime talent to

run with.

Big deal.

I'd glad things are the way they are now.

I thought this was an article about Harbaughs playing days...like back in the day we almost traded for him. What in the all fuck? We almost traded for him as a coach? First, I didn't even know that was possible. 2nd....what in the all fuck? If this has even the remote smacking of being true...like if one of those FO stooleys sat up at night in bed jerking off to the "thought" of getting Harbaugh in Cleveland by blowing up our draft.....I wouldn't know what to say really. Maybe one of those b holes swung that past Haslam and he privately was like "ok, once you guys do get someone...you're gone". Just for suggesting that rubbish. I understand players get traded around, that's the nature of the game...but in no way shape or form would I condone getting a coach like that. You're asking these guys to setup an entire staff, they should go where they plan on. It just shouldn't work the same way with the coaches as it does players...sucks to say but it's true. And any half brained cunt face FO type should intuitively know that. God what a disaster if this is even quarter true.

God thinking about this, I was saying which one of the FO boys tried to wing this.....but now logically thinking, if this is true and they were close to pulling this off....obviously Haslem was on board with this. That's really fucking scary. That is mind numbingly frightening that our owner could be this big of a dipshit.

I mean this is the kind of idea that gets passed by the bowse and he looks at the person blankly for a minute without saying a word....than slowly his faces contorts into a raging scowl while he slurrs out "yoooouuurrrree fiiiiirrrrreeedddd"" like Vince McMahon. Like almost coming across the table and strangling the person for the audacity to collect a paycheck from him. If it was me I'd politely ask if this was a troll, than I'd throw my shoe at him and come across the desk.

Or, if it was true, it's that Farmer had a private, honest meeting with Haslam,

and explained that the Browns need talent, that trading important draft picks

was going to hurt the Browns...AGAIN...for years to come.

..that Scumbardi and Banner

didn't understand team building with the right talent for the NFL.

So, Haslam dumped them both.

Makes sense to me.

I still don't care. Future is ahead ! I see wins.

The niners deny it, say it's ridiculous. I'm guessing that Scumbardi was going for it,

and maybe Banner too.. perhaps that led to Farmer looking for a job

that wasn't in a zoo....

so the zoo got fired.

It's actually embarrassing to even be discussing it, it's so stupid of an idea. lol

Let's all be honest. Assuming there is any truth to this, if it would have happened, we would all be creaming in our collective shorts over having Harbaugh as our coach. Just keeping it real here.

uhhh, wut? if those picks were in rounds 4 or 5 and later...than yeah maybe. Do you really think the 49'ers would have parted ways with Harbaugh for anything less than our first 3 or 4 rounds? If u would be onboard with that deal please turn in all your browns gear you're fired. Who cares what coach we would have if there's no fucking draft for him in his first year. I can see from the 49'ers perspective why they would have been all over this. That team can bring in any top tier coach at this point anyway....but then give that coach the current 49'ers roster plus the Browns draft? Vince Lombardi would have walked right out of his fucking grave for that deal. The 49'ers would have been absolutely ridiculous for the next couple years.

just for mental faps.....let's all contemplate for a moment what SF could have done with our draft. They would probably want to draft a LB to replace Bowman, but not sure they would go there with our 1st. Since they already have Kaepernick they wouldn't take a qb. Watkins would probably be their priority. If he was gone, they would probably take Clowney. God, Clowney backing up Aldon Smith for a year or two....fuck. God that team would have been unreal.

Archived