THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Robinson

Flyin J

Take a guard at 4? Seriously? I mean, I know Farmer was talking curveballs, but, really?

yes, really. Id say finding an impact guard who can move out to tackle (he may start at RT moving Schwartz inside) would improve this team more than any position outside of QB. This is assuming we dont add a G in FA of course.

Combine performances rarely "put someone back into Top 15 consideration."

Especially 40-yard dash times for OL.

Haha, well I dont think he had really dropped out of the first round. And its not just the 40, hes grading out great in most categories. And go ask Lane Johnson if a 40 time helped him.

That's not my point. My point is Lane Johnson was already ranked highly by GMs and their scouts.

The media draft enterprise bumped him after the combine, and not just for his 40 time. Mayock, Rang, Miller, etc., are good, but their assessments, especially pre-combine aren't actually reality...

and Lewan isnt? I never saw any rankings with Johnson top 15 pre-combine.

Not true. The ten yard is what most people want to see, but overall speed is never a bad thing.

It's absolutely true.

There is not a single comparable game situation for an offensive lineman to run 40 yards unhindered. If a lineman is running 40 yards in a straight line without touching anyone, he isn't doing his job.

Overall speed is never a bad thing, but the 40 yard dash doesn't measure what you need it to as far as OL speed. These are 330 LB guys. They take a full head of steam to get going. They won't get that in a game.

Come frills, shuttle runs, those are what matters.

It

It's absolutely true.

There is not a single comparable game situation for an offensive lineman to run 40 yards unhindered. If a lineman is running 40 yards in a straight line without touching anyone, he isn't doing his job.

Overall speed is never a bad thing, but the 40 yard dash doesn't measure what you need it to as far as OL speed. These are 330 LB guys. They take a full head of steam to get going. They won't get that in a game.

Come frills, shuttle runs, those are what matters.

It

Like I stated above, the important number in an OLinemans 40 is the ten yard split. But overall speed is also a minor plus as it gives a glimpse into a players overall athleticism, coordination and flexibility.

Archived