THE BROWNS BOARD

Logan Thomas

LondonBrown

Funny that you should post this. Farmer made a comment at the Senior Bowl about how Thomas related to teammates between plays & Haslam got on his cell phone today right after Thomas ran. He has a high upside, but needs time & coaching. I had called Cal to tell him I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas was the QB Farmer likes & Cal told me this thread was started, so I figured I would post. If you think about it, if the Browns think Hoyer can carry us for awhile (more ideal than starting a rookie), this could be a way they might go. Maybe to have him as a developmental 3rd string QB behind Hoyer & ???.

We'll see.

Mike

Got the hand size for Cleveland weather and the build to take NFL hits. Quickest QB at combine.

Can those that watch college football more than me tell me anything about his ability?

yeah he's quick but did you see him throw? no thanks.

I'm from the same area as this guy and have seen him play for four years in college and our high schools used to play every year. He's a combine freak for sure. He's scary athletic, but on the field he's way too inconsistent. I think his best bet would be to enter the NFL as a tight end which is what he was originally recruited as. He has a cannon, but he has no accuracy. I personally think he needs to thank Can Newton for all the hype he never lived up to. If we had a proven starter to hold the fort down for 4 or 5 years that could teach him I'd be singing a different tune about the guy, but we just aren't in that position.

Got the hand size for Cleveland weather and the build to take NFL hits. Quickest QB at combine.

Can those that watch college football more than me tell me anything about his ability?

HIt NFL.com and do a search. Yeah, athletic as hell. but a project at best. As others have mentioned- accuracy is suspect, and according to reports, his footwork is a mess- shades of Tebow.

He seems like a stretch to me even as a project but I am definitely far from an expert. I did hear them talking about him on Sirrius NFL this afternoon and they firmly believed he was wasting time at the Combine trying out as a QB. The feeling is he should be a TE. If memory serves though that is exactly what was said about Rich Gannon years ago?

Funny that you should post this. Farmer made a comment at the Senior Bowl about how Thomas related to teammates between plays & Haslam got on his cell phone today right after Thomas ran. He has a high upside, but needs time & coaching. I had called Cal to tell him I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas was the QB Farmer likes & Cal told me this thread was started, so I figured I would post. If you think about it, if the Browns think Hoyer can carry us for awhile (more ideal than starting a rookie), this could be a way they might go. Maybe to have him as a developmental 3rd string QB behind Hoyer & ???.

We'll see.

Mike

Haslem is at the combine?

This is getting Jerry Jonesish.

Zombo

Haslem is at the combine?

This is getting Jerry Jonesish.

Zombo

Yeah, but he appeared to be in a Loge while Farmer & Pettine were seated down close to the field.

I also feel compelled to say I am not endorsing a Logan Thomas pick, BUT staying with Hoyer & selecting a "project" in later rounds is not an impossibility. After all, none of us know what will happen in May, so let's wait & see.

Mike

ye

Yeah, but he appeared to be in a Loge while Farmer & Pettine were seated down close to the field.

I also feel compelled to say I am not endorsing a Logan Thomas pick, BUT staying with Hoyer & selecting a "project" in later rounds is not an impossibility. After all, none of us know what will happen in May, so let's wait & see.

Mike

they had haslam and farmer both in the box yesterday. haslam was talking to him while the OL were doing their combine field skill tests.

i can see them going with a project guy but i would hope they make a better choice like a fales or garoppollo who i can see falling to us easily at 26 or even in the third.

Mike

Man, this guy isnt a project, its a complete overhaul. The only thing this guy has are measurables. 5th or later, whatever, as long as he isnt the 1st QB taken by us.

I have liked Garappolo for quite awhile and, while I don't view him as an immediate starter, I don't look at him as a project. Just a QB to play behind Hoyer for awhile. To me a project is someone who has the physical tools but needs a LOT of fundamental coaching (like Thomas) to be a viable NFL QB.

I would look at Garappolo as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick & Thomas no earlier than 5th round.

Mike

I have liked Garappolo for quite awhile and, while I don't view him as an immediate starter, I don't look at him as a project. Just a QB to play behind Hoyer for awhile. To me a project is someone who has the physical tools but needs a LOT of fundamental coaching (like Thomas) to be a viable NFL QB.

I would look at Garappolo as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick & Thomas no earlier than 5th round.

Mike

Every rookie QB is a project. Just a matter of what needs fixed. With his tools, hes gotta master the mental side of the game. Thomas doesnt need to be as good mentally because running opens things up, but fixing the way he throws the ball naturally will be more of a challenge. I promise you, Thomas will never amount to shit as a QB.

I am a huge Hokie fan and this guy was pretty darn good his first year starting but he had a future 1st round running back in the backfield with him and the #1 and #2 leading receivers in school history. After that year he went on to be pretty painful to watch. He has all the skills to be a freak QB but was remarkably inconsistent. There were times list season where watching him Saturday and then Weeden on Sunday led to pretty terrible hangovers Monday. As a late round project he'd be a fine pick but I don't see him lasting til the late rounds. Some team is going to draft him higher than he should be drafted based soley on his athleticism.

Meanwhile, Manziel is not throwing at the combine because, per George Whitfield, his

combine coach, from NE Ohio...says, Manziel is working on his mechanics and footwork

that is more NFL efficient.

Why he wouldn't have been workin on that in advance of the combine, who knows. Manziel

only ran a 4.6 whatever.... that won't get him success in the NFL like he had in college.

I'm really hoping the Browns go Bortles, or A. J.; McCarron now. They both are impressing

at the combine. Manziel needs good weather, and a dome, I think. I also wonder if Manziel

is an adrenaline junkie. lol. Going to some party ... I'll vote him "most likely to get injured

racing a motorcycle, speed boat, or car" in an off-season. Or, he may grow up, and be

a winning NFL qb and everybody will be proud of him on and off the field.

Meanwhile, Manziel is not throwing at the combine because, per George Whitfield, his

combine coach, from NE Ohio...says, Manziel is working on his mechanics and footwork

that is more NFL efficient.

Why he wouldn't have been workin on that in advance of the combine, who knows. Manziel

only ran a 4.6 whatever.... that won't get him success in the NFL like he had in college.

Manziel has been in southern California with Whitfield for at least the last month, maybe longer working with Whitfield on all aspects of the game.

http://whitfieldqb.com/

Archived