THE BROWNS BOARD

WSS Oscar Predictions 2014

New Oscars 2014

Okay. You only have a few days to bet the farm. I’d caution against it though…

Best Supporting Actress

I think Jennifer Lawrence will probably win for AMERICAN HUSTLE since it looks to get snubbed in a few other categories. However I think the best performance by far was Sally Hawkins in Woody Allen’s BLUE JASMINE.

Best Supporting Actor

The front runner is Jared Leto from DALLAS BUYERS CLUB and I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Best Actress

I think Judy Dench did a tremendous job in PHILOMENA and Meryl Streep is the best actress alive. Still this year I think Cate Blanchett has the Mojo for BLUE JASMINE. Sandra Bullock might possibly pull off a dark horse win for GRAVITY but I wouldn't bet on it

Best Actor

Chiwetel Ejiafore of 12 YEARS A SLAVE should ride the PC express to the gold this year even though I think there were better performances. I was impressed by Leonardo DiCaprio for the effort he put in WOLF OF WALL STREET, DALLAS BUYERS CLUB’S Matthew McConaughey for losing all that weight and a great performance and to Bruce Dern in NEBRASKA just because it seems like his time.

Best Director

Alfonso Cuaron is the odds on favorite for GRAVITY. I hated it but apparently I'm in the minority. Yes I was impressed by the special effects for about 20 minutes until they got boring. My best director pick would have been, well, anybody else.

Best Picture

TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE is not my least favorite of the nominations (GRAVITY is) but it’s close. Manipulative and strewn with cartoonish characters that are either saints or monsters I think this year politics trumps art and it wins. My personal favorite movie of the year, although admittedly probably appealing more to me than most, was INSIDE LLEWIN DAVIS but it wasn't nominated.

Feel free to berate me if I’m wrong.

If you’re funny enough I’ll print it.

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

Just for the record Soon Yi Previn was not his adopted daughter and she was 20 years old at the time of the affair. Then he married her and they stayed married for at least 15 years. Mia Farrow has battled psychosis most of her life and don't particularly believe the accusations all these years later.

WSS

If you think, correctly, thaf the academy will go pc in lauding the slave film its unfathomable to me that they will risk the controversy of awarding Allen at this time. Whether or not they are true they're out there again as much as ever. I tend to think where there is smoke there's fire, whether its big Ben or woody Allen.

Could be. I just lean toward the side that the molestation charges are sour grapes. As far as the Academy I just figure blue Jasmine wasn't one of their favorites.

Speaking of politically correct don't forget Andrew Dice Clay was also in that film. Women hate him too.

But as far as his films I think Annie Hall is probably one of the five best, or at least my 5 best, ever.

WSS

My personal favorites from what I have seen so far:

Best Picture: American Hustle (note: haven't seen Her/Dallas) runnerup: Philomena

Best Actor: Christian Bale runnerup: DiCaprio (haven't seen McConaghy)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett runnerup: Judi Dench (haven't seen Streep)

Best Supporting Actor: Barkhad Abdi (haven't seen Leto)

Best Supporting Actress: June Squibb runnerup Lawrence

Best Director: If you go by the premise that the Best Picture Director should get this award, then give it to David Russell.

Jared Leto imo is kinda overrated... a guy that looks like a total queer to begin with gets kudos for playing a transvestite? ..he did play a good role but I think it is a bit overrated.

I like the old woman from Nebraska and the slave owner guy from 12 years a slave.

Best actor is a toss up and hard to say who should get it.

I liked Wolf of Wall Street and 12years a slave probably the most for best picture, but I don't see Wolf winning.

If the girl from 12 years wins best supporting actress it'll be a total joke because she barely had any lines in the movie except for one scene..which was good but imo doesn't warrant a best supporting actress award.

New Oscars 2014

Okay. You only have a few days to bet the farm. I’d caution against it though…

Best Supporting Actress

I think Jennifer Lawrence will probably win for AMERICAN HUSTLE since it looks to get snubbed in a few other categories. However I think the best performance by far was Sally Hawkins in Woody Allen’s BLUE JASMINE.

Best Supporting Actor

The front runner is Jared Leto from DALLAS BUYERS CLUB and I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Best Actress

I think Judy Dench did a tremendous job in PHILOMENA and Meryl Streep is the best actress alive. Still this year I think Cate Blanchett has the Mojo for BLUE JASMINE. Sandra Bullock might possibly pull off a dark horse win for GRAVITY but I wouldn't bet on it

Best Actor

Chiwetel Ejiafore of 12 YEARS A SLAVE should ride the PC express to the gold this year even though I think there were better performances. I was impressed by Leonardo DiCaprio for the effort he put in WOLF OF WALL STREET, DALLAS BUYERS CLUB’S Matthew McConaughey for losing all that weight and a great performance and to Bruce Dern in NEBRASKA just because it seems like his time.

Best Director

Alfonso Cuaron is the odds on favorite for GRAVITY. I hated it but apparently I'm in the minority. Yes I was impressed by the special effects for about 20 minutes until they got boring. My best director pick would have been, well, anybody else.

Best Picture

TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE is not my least favorite of the nominations (GRAVITY is) but it’s close. Manipulative and strewn with cartoonish characters that are either saints or monsters I think this year politics trumps art and it wins. My personal favorite movie of the year, although admittedly probably appealing more to me than most, was INSIDE LLEWIN DAVIS but it wasn't nominated.

Feel free to berate me if I’m wrong.

If you’re funny enough I’ll print it.

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

Can we berate you because you were right? You only missed on best Supporting actress and Best Actor....but your theory was correct. They gave it to the 12 years girl rather than the 12 years guy.

Well .66 isn't particularly great. They threw me a curveball. I understood this was going to be a politically correct ceremony and Matthew McConaughey did a find job.

Best Supporting Actress kind of came out of the blue though. I didn't think her role was very demanding or anything special.

4 of 6 went to minorities though.

WSS

I was listening to Jarrod Cherry on WKNR just a bit ago in my car and he was talking about 12 years a Slave. He said he had no interest in seeing, or in viewing the graphic violence of slavery that was depicted in and he said: "if we were not in hyper politically correct times this movie would never have been nominated likely".

Jarrod is African-American...and his cohort, Emmit something completely agreed with him.

Archived