THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is the Sleeper

The Gipper

In 2012 the likes of Nick Foles and Russell Wilson slipped in the draft to the 2d/3rd round. Colin Kaepernick did the same in 2011. These guys are possibly turning out to be better than guys drafted high in the first round. (and going back in history: Joe Montana was a 3rd round draft pick)

So who will be the Nick Foles/Russell Wilson/Colin Kaepernick of this years draft. That QB that is taken in the 2d, 3rd, 4th round etc. that could turn out to actually be the best of the bunch. (maybe even throw Andy Dalton in there).

In other words, who besides Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater could actuall step to the top of this year's QB class down the road?

While researching QBs in the draft, I came across this decription of the weaknesses of one candidate:

Could stand to hasten his setup and polish his footwork (deteriorates under duress). Could stand to shorten his release -- wraps the ball slightly at the beginning of his windup. Too much effort in his delivery to generate slightly above-average arm strength. Operated in an offense where he made a lot of one-look reads. Does not spin spirals consistently -- too many throws come out with loose wobble (could struggle to cut the wind in blustery conditions). Ordinary deep-ball thrower. Tends to throw off his back foot when pressured (affects accuracy). Works heavily out of the gun -- will have to adapt to snaps under center and deep drops. Operates a dink-and-dunk offense which inflates his completion percentage. Fumbled nine times as a junior and could improve ball handling/security. Play dropped off against better competition and will require time to adjust to the closing speed of NFL defensive backs. Is just a two-year starter and can improve his understanding of the game.

Scary stuff! That QB's name...Blake Bortles.

While researching QBs in the draft, I came across this decription of the weaknesses of one candidate:

Scary stuff! That QB's name...Blake Bortles.

I wasn't really impressed with him in the combine when he was throwing.

Kaep, Wilson and Foles all went to teams that are solid offensively, that have top ten rushing attacks, solid WR's and, in two of the cases, have top ten defenses.

They were picked just as value picks, not to be the starter instantly. Each team had either a first round pick or a high priced FA in position as the quarterback. In Kaep's case, the offense was very much tailored to his skillset.

They each walked into perfect scenarios for them. It's not as if they were taken by teams that had nothing on offense nor were strongly in search of a quarterback.

The situation is not like here, or Jacksonville, or Tennessee, or Oakland. If any of the aforementioned guys had gone to one of those places. I don't think we'd be talking about them right now.

Wilson and Foles were taken in the Luck draft so, while being good, they're clearly not the best quarterbacks of the bunch. Further, I don't think you can really say "which QB is best". I believe EJ Manuel to be a better quarterback than all three of the aforementioned sleepers because he has the tools of all of them in one, 6'5 body..

Jeff Mathews

6'4" 225lbs

Good height, big hands and a well-built frame to shake off defenders. Very good arm strength and velocity and can make deep throws with ease. Knows how to change arm angles and still deliver lasers. Improved ball placement and overall accuracy despite shaky mechanics.

Not much of a rush threat, but a better athlete than expected with mobility to pick up tough yards and throw on the run. Smart and processes information quickly. Confident and won't play hesitant. Obvious by his play that he puts in the time during the week. Hard worker with strong preparation skills and a team-first attitude. Improved pocked mobility to step up with his eyes downfield.

He impressed at the Shrine game so he's got that going for him

I see alot of Matt Stafford without the bad decision making. Have heard others compare him to Phillip Rivers

Kaep, Wilson and Foles all went to teams that are solid offensively, that have top ten rushing attacks, solid WR's and, in two of the cases, have top ten defenses.

They were picked just as value picks, not to be the starter instantly. Each team had either a first round pick or a high priced FA in position as the quarterback. In Kaep's case, the offense was very much tailored to his skillset.

They each walked into perfect scenarios for them. It's not as if they were taken by teams that had nothing on offense nor were strongly in search of a quarterback.

The situation is not like here, or Jacksonville, or Tennessee, or Oakland. If any of the aforementioned guys had gone to one of those places. I don't think we'd be talking about them right now.

Wilson and Foles were taken in the Luck draft so, while being good, they're clearly not the best quarterbacks of the bunch. Further, I don't think you can really say "which QB is best". I believe EJ Manuel to be a better quarterback than all three of the aforementioned sleepers because he has the tools of all of them in one, 6'5 body..

You said all that....and as fine as it all was, you still didn't answer the question: which of the QBs in this draft that will be likely be taken in a lower round will break out and be a potential playoff team starter?

Jeff Mathews

6'4" 225lbs

Good height, big hands and a well-built frame to shake off defenders. Very good arm strength and velocity and can make deep throws with ease. Knows how to change arm angles and still deliver lasers. Improved ball placement and overall accuracy despite shaky mechanics.

Not much of a rush threat, but a better athlete than expected with mobility to pick up tough yards and throw on the run. Smart and processes information quickly. Confident and won't play hesitant. Obvious by his play that he puts in the time during the week. Hard worker with strong preparation skills and a team-first attitude. Improved pocked mobility to step up with his eyes downfield.

He impressed at the Shrine game so he's got that going for him

I see alot of Matt Stafford without the bad decision making. Have heard others compare him to Phillip Rivers

He is one that I had in mind.

You said all that....and as fine as it all was, you still didn't answer the question: which of the QBs in this draft that will be likely be taken in a lower round will break out and be a potential playoff team starter?

I wasn't answering your question because I don't think it's valid. I don't think Kaep, Wilson or Foles are sleepers.

Sleepers aren't quartebacks that are thrown into perfect situations. They're not quarterbacks that have a lot of hype during the draft and combine. They're not quartebacks who are, by all accounts, first round picks if not for one certain quality (size, conference affiliation).

Sleepers are quarterbacks who are never expected to contribute and then do. I don't believe the aforementioned QB's ever fit in that category.

I wasn't answering your question because I don't think it's valid. I don't think Kaep, Wilson or Foles are sleepers.

Sleepers aren't quartebacks that are thrown into perfect situations. They're not quarterbacks that have a lot of hype during the draft and combine. They're not quartebacks who are, by all accounts, first round picks if not for one certain quality (size, conference affiliation).

Sleepers are quarterbacks who are never expected to contribute and then do. I don't believe the aforementioned QB's ever fit in that category.

OK, I was only using those guys as examples of people drafted in lower rounds. Maybe ignore the term "sleeper". Which QBs that are projected to go in a lower round whose play you think will exceed their draft status?

Are those semantics better for you?

A good Football fans question. Not one that needs broken down or have someones spin put on it to rank whether a question is valid or not. I woulda rather went on to the next topic rather than spew some opinionated bs that doesn't even answer a simple question.

My sleeper Qbs (IMO)

Boyd and Savage.

A couple guys I like real late are Keith Wenning and Tom Savage. Savage started at Rutgers as a freshman and set big east passing records for freshman. His sophmore season he got banged up early and lost the job. He transferred to Arizona, then straight to Pitt before he ever played a down. He started for Pitt this year, and he had a decent year. 61% , 21TD, 9 INT. He has a huge arm and hes 6'4" 230 lb. He has a real smooth release from the highlight video I saw. He was a top rated recruit out of high school and turned down offers from some big boys down south to go to Rutgers.

Derek Carr will be the most successful QB from this draft class...

Wilson was Drafted after a team lands one if the bigger Free Agent's of the year. Not ideal to start from the 3rd round let alone to win a superbowl a year later.

And was said to be a first round quarterback if not for his small stature.

Not exactly a guy who never had a chance.

In 2012 the likes of Nick Foles and Russell Wilson slipped in the draft to the 2d/3rd round. Colin Kaepernick did the same in 2011. These guys are possibly turning out to be better than guys drafted high in the first round. (and going back in history: Joe Montana was a 3rd round draft pick)

So who will be the Nick Foles/Russell Wilson/Colin Kaepernick of this years draft. That QB that is taken in the 2d, 3rd, 4th round etc. that could turn out to actually be the best of the bunch. (maybe even throw Andy Dalton in there).

In other words, who besides Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater could actuall step to the top of this year's QB class down the road?

It will be the guy drafted by the team that has underperformed last season and is actually better then they seem on paper. The team that has the building blocks of success in place. Not the team that sucks and expect a quarterback to make all the difference. Whoever gets drafted by the afore mentioned team will be the next surprising superstar.

I think quite possibly that team, the first one, could easily be the Cleveland Browns within the next couple seasons. Unless of course everybody flips out and start over at the end of this coming season...

WSS

Aaron Murray will be available in round 4&5. He's played in a pro style offense and has excelled in calling audibles for four great years. He is also a master of the back shoulder pass. Don't let the Bengals grab him to be their franchise QB.

i'm hoping if we DO take a QB this year they will wait until those rounds you just mentioned. i kinda like fales a little more cuz he's got the run ability but eitherr one in those rounds would not kill me.

also we can't look at a running back until those same rounds. i'm hoping for storm johnson. wants to play in cleveland and if we have lewis and him as our 1-3 down backs and use obi as our fullback we'll be good there. just gotta shore up the right side of the OL before any RB can have success.

Archived