THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Off-Season 2.0

Dan K

Last time I did one of these was when we were in the very early stages of our coaching search. Assuming no more drastic changes, though you never know anymore, this is just what I would realistically try to do this off-season if I were head of the front office based on what has already happened.

Cut/Don’t Re-sign

Brandon Weeden ~ How hasn’t this happened yet is the real question.

Jason Campbell ~ Given what he was thrown into, he could have done worse, however, do to all the snaps he took last year, his contract is too high to be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart.

Alex Tanney ~ Emergency signing but doesn’t actually deserve a roster spot.

Davone Bess ~ What used to be a sure handed slot receiver has turned to a useless player and the subject of a bad trade.

Willis McGahee ~ Proved to be nothing substantial and should just retire.

Billy Cundiff ~ Did a decent job replacing Phil Dawson this year but it’s time to find a young, long-term kicking solution.

Oniel Cousins ~ Not sure how he found his way on the roster this year.

Shaun Lauvao ~ Solid back-up guard, but if he wants anything close to starter money, no thank you.

Craig Robertson ~ Had a solid rookie season, but was simply a victim of the scheme change this past year and it’s not gonna change next year.

Re-Sign

TJ Ward ~ As one of the best run safeties and a naturally hard hitter, I would have applied the franchise tag to him. That didn’t happen but I would still aggressively pursue him to stay. If the Browns want a truly elite defense, there’s no reason to let him walk with the cap space we have.

Alex Mack ~ Good use of the transition tag. One of the best centers in the league, it makes no sense to open yet another hole on the offensive line and let him walk. Re-sign him to a long-term deal.

Free-Agency

Rex Grossman, WAS QB ~ It’s no secret Grossman is washed-up and should not be counted on to win a team games. That said, with two young guys already competing for the starting job, having a veteran like him to help teach Kyle Shanahan’s playbook would be ideal as long as he realizes his role.

James Jones, GB WR ~ The Browns already have a fairly young receiving core. It’s no secret they could use one more reliable weapon. Instead of drafting a young receiver, adding someone with veteran leadership that can produce at a high level makes more sense to me.

Ryan Harris, HOU RT ~ Schwartz was shaky last year after an impressive rookie campaign. No matter what, we need to add a capable back-up tackle, but Harris may even be able to challenge for the starting RT spot.

Brandon Spikes, NE ILB ~ Spikes clashed heads with Belicheck towards the end of last season, and likely won’t be back. Combine that with the fact that cutting D’Qwell Jackson left a gaping hole at ILB, this should be a high priority signing.

Arthur Moats, BUF ILB ~ The coaching change would not be official until we brought in someone that Pettine worked with last year, and lucky for us, ILB is so thin we could really use him too.

Sam Shields, GB CB ~ The best way to solidify the Browns’ secondary would pair a reliable CB opposite Joe Haden. Combine that with an improved pass rush led by Keke Mingo, and the Browns could be looking at having one of the top defenses.

Malcolm Jenkins, NO FS ~ Jenkins was essentially replaced last year when New Orleans spent a 1st Round Pick on Kenny Vaccaro. Jenkins would be a fan favorite being a former Buckeye star and at only 26 years old he still has a lot of time to grow. Should be able to be signed at a reasonable price.

Trades

Cleveland Browns send 1st Rounder (#26), 3rd Rounder (#83), 6th Rounder (#164) to Baltimore Ravens for their 1st Rounder (#17). The thing that would likely hold up a trade like this is of course the intradivision dilemma. Other than that, this makes plenty of sense for both teams. The Browns go into the draft with 10 draft picks while the Ravens have 4. The Ravens will likely look to move down to gain draft picks, and the Browns should look at adding elite talent in the draft.

Draft

Round 1, Pick #4: Johnny Manziel, QB Texas A&M

Round 1, Pick #17: CJ Mosley, ILB Alabama

Round 2, Pick #35: Carlos Hyde, HB Ohio State

Round 3, Pick #71: David Yankey, G Stanford

Round 4, Pick #102: Yamin Smallwood, ILB Connecticut

Round 4, Pick #123: CJ Fiedeorowicz, TE Iowa

Round 5, Pick #133: Jay Prosch, FB Auburn

Round 7, Pick #195: Anthony Fera, K Texas

Depth Chart

Quarterback

Johnny Manziel*

Brian Hoyer

Rex Grossman*

Halfback

Carlos Hyde*

Dion Lewis

Chris Ogbonnaya

Edwin Baker

Fullback

Jay Prosch*

Wide Receiver

Josh Gordon

James Jones*

Greg Little

Travis Benjamin

Josh Cooper

Tight End

Jordan Cameron

Gary Barnidge

CJ Fiedeorowicz*

Offensive Line

LT- Joe Thomas

LG- Jason Pinkston, John Greco

C- Alex Mack

RG- David Yankey*, Garrett Gilkey
RT- Mitchell Schwartz, Ryan Harris*

Defensive Line

LE- Ahtyba Rubin, John Hughes, Armonty Bryant

NT- Phil Taylor, Ishmaa’ily Kitchen

RE- Desmond Bryant, Billy Winn

Linebackers

LOLB- Barkevious Mingo, Jabaal Sheard

ILB- Brandon Spikes*, Yamin Smallwood

ILB- CJ Mosley*, Arthur Moats*, Tank Carder

ROLB- Paul Kruger, Quentin Groves

Cornerbacks

Joe Haden

Sam Shields*

Buster Skrine

Leon McFadden

Julian Posey

Safeties

SS- TJ Ward, Jonathan Bademosi

FS- Malcolm Jenkins, Tashaun Gipson

Special Teams

K- Anthony Fera*

P- Spencer Lanning

LS- Christian Yount

KR/PR- Travis Benjamin

You were doing so well until I saw "Trade!"

And with the Ravens? C'mon.

And then picking Manziel at #4 and making him the starter ... you have a lot of confidence in that guy ... more than Farmer, Pettine or most reasonable NFL minds I would say.

Zombo

there's nothing about your mock draft that i like at all.

i do agree with the cut and resign list though.

it's when i see these mocks i almost want to ask the people's age.

i don't get adding 'reliable' veteran help via free agency at some of the most key positions but drafting one of the most questionable QBs in the draft and adding a homer at RB.

draft WR, CB and LB. the guards i don't know enough about.

I am on board with the bulk of your cuts, resigns and FAs. We drift way apart on the draft. Other than Hyde I really don't like any of the picks. I also would not pick up Hyde any higher than the 3rd. If he is gone there are plenty of talented guys to draft in the 3rd and 4th round at RB. I like Yankey but as others said you would be lucky to score him at 26. There is no way I would roll up 3 picks to get Mosley although I do like him.

To those who constantly rag on James Jones his drops really seem to be a thing of the past. He is a talented guy and could be had for a fair price even if we do draft a WR and I hope we do.

Free Agents

RB- T. Gerhart- Downhill runner that should thrive in the zone blocking scheme. Should be bargain if he wins the starting gig.

FB- L. McClain- Older but one of the better lead blockers in the game. Is still a solid receiver and short yardage back.

WR- D. Sanenbacher- Quick with solid hands. He may not be a mismatch but hopefully he can be what Bess was supposed to be.

TE- A. Quarless- Had character issues, but has the talent to be a starter for most teams.

RG- G. Schwartz- Pairing up the brothers could put an end to the issues we have on the right side of the OLine.

ILB- D. Bishop and J. McClain- Both are injury risks, but should come in cheap. Versatile and experienced in the 3-4.

CB- V. Davis- One of the more under-rated CBs in the game. He will be very important in the near future if Haden decides to test FA.

FS- J. Byrd- The price is a bit too much for me, but we really need a ball hawk.

Draft

1a- QB- T. Bridgewater

1b- CB- K. Fuller

2- WR- J. Matthews

3a- ILB- C. Borland

3b- OLB- D. Lawrence

4a- C- T. Larsen

4b- HB- S. Johnson

5- CB- C. Gaines

6- TE- C. Lyerla

7- ILB- Z. Tyler

QB- T. Bridgewater B. Hoyer

HB- S. Johnson T. Gerhart D. Lewis

FB- L. McClain

WR- J. Gordon D. Sanzenbacher G. Little

WR- J. Matthew T. Benjamin

TE- J. Cameron A. Quarless C. Lyerla

LT- J. Thomas R. Fragel

LG- J. Greco G. Gilkey

C- A. Mack T. Larsen

RG- G. Schwartz J. Pinkston

RT- M. Schwartz C. Faulk

DE- D. Bryant J. Hughes

NT- P. Taylor A. Rubin I. Kitchen

DE- B. Winn A. Bryant

LOLB- P. Kruger B. Mingo

LILB- D. Bishop J. Tyler

RILB- C. Borland J. McClain

ROLB- J. Sheard D. Lawerence

CB- J. Haden K. Fuller L. McFadden

CB- V. Davis B. Skrine C. Gaines

FS- J. Byrd J. Aubery

SS- T. Gipson J. Poyer J. Bademosi

K- UDFA

P- S. Lanning

LS- C. Yount

Free Agents

RB- T. Gerhart- Downhill runner that should thrive in the zone blocking scheme. Should be bargain if he wins the starting gig.

FB- L. McClain- Older but one of the better lead blockers in the game. Is still a solid receiver and short yardage back.

WR- D. Sanenbacher- Quick with solid hands. He may not be a mismatch but hopefully he can be what Bess was supposed to be.

TE- A. Quarless- Had character issues, but has the talent to be a starter for most teams.

RG- G. Schwartz- Pairing up the brothers could put an end to the issues we have on the right side of the OLine.

ILB- D. Bishop and J. McClain- Both are injury risks, but should come in cheap. Versatile and experienced in the 3-4.

CB- V. Davis- One of the more under-rated CBs in the game. He will be very important in the near future if Haden decides to test FA.

FS- J. Byrd- The price is a bit too much for me, but we really need a ball hawk.

Draft

1a- QB- T. Bridgewater

1b- CB- K. Fuller

2- WR- J. Matthews

3a- ILB- C. Borland

3b- OLB- D. Lawrence

4a- C- T. Larsen

4b- HB- S. Johnson

5- CB- C. Gaines

6- TE- C. Lyerla

7- ILB- Z. Tyler

QB- T. Bridgewater B. Hoyer

HB- S. Johnson T. Gerhart D. Lewis

FB- L. McClain

WR- J. Gordon D. Sanzenbacher G. Little

WR- J. Matthew T. Benjamin

TE- J. Cameron A. Quarless C. Lyerla

LT- J. Thomas R. Fragel

LG- J. Greco G. Gilkey

C- A. Mack T. Larsen

RG- G. Schwartz J. Pinkston

RT- M. Schwartz C. Faulk

DE- D. Bryant J. Hughes

NT- P. Taylor A. Rubin I. Kitchen

DE- B. Winn A. Bryant

LOLB- P. Kruger B. Mingo

LILB- D. Bishop J. Tyler

RILB- C. Borland J. McClain

ROLB- J. Sheard D. Lawerence

CB- J. Haden K. Fuller L. McFadden

CB- V. Davis B. Skrine C. Gaines

FS- J. Byrd J. Aubery

SS- T. Gipson J. Poyer J. Bademosi

K- UDFA

P- S. Lanning

LS- C. Yount

i could live with this draft even though i don't know anything about fuller or matthews and i watched the combine all day long so they weren't stand outs. i agree that i doubt we do that much in FA. sanzenbacher makes sense as a slot receiver but i'm still saying we need a TALL sure-handed guy for jump balls and corner routes. but i see you've addressed (IMO) the major concern areas in the draft. i guess if they WERE to take a QB @ 4 bridgewater would be the one i'd be most comfortable with. still don't like it though, especially if mack is there. love storm johnson.

hey it's texas A and M's pro day today.

let's see what the kid can do. watch evans save his ass all day.

if anyone doubts evans makes the most sense for the browns at WR hopefully there minds will be changed today.

hell johnny might change some minds as well, including mine. i think it will be all over espn in highlight format but i believe nfl network will switch live between schools.

Not gonna lie, I don't spend much time on here, but I did not know that many people were so opposed to drafting Manziel. I am a big fan of Hoyer, but there's no way in hell I go into next season banking on him being a franchise guy that could lead the team to the playoffs. With Manziel, he would bring a new kind of attitude that the Browns haven't seen at QB in a real long time. He would not settle for losing and would bring a whole new kind of leadership to this team. I would love to see his fire in a offense that should suit him well. So those that opposed my selection in this mock, I'm guessing you either believe Bridgewater, Bortles, or Hoyer is the answer??

And as for the trade, was the problem that it was with the Ravens or just a bad trade in general?? If it's the fact we're trading with our archival, I understand that. It just seemed like too perfect of a scenario to pass up considering Mosley is the top player at arguably our biggest hole and the Ravens will likely look to trade down.

I love your draft personally. Yankey won't last that long. Not a big fan of the free agent signings but they were realistic. I say you switch Hyde and Yankey or replace a bunch of your fa signings with one great guard and your on to something.

Yes Phillip Gaines, Louisville has a cb named Charles Gaines so I probably just typed the wrong name. Gaines has good size and great speed so he is a very good late round pick with high potential. With a good pro day he may go 2nd or 3rd. Admittedly I haven't done too much homework on him, but the physical potential is definitely there.

You were doing so well until I saw "Trade!"

And with the Ravens? C'mon.

And then picking Manziel at #4 and making him the starter ... you have a lot of confidence in that guy ... more than Farmer, Pettine or most reasonable NFL minds I would say.

Zombo

Anyone but Johnny

Mike, I proudly wear the colors anywhere I go- and no one, and I mean no one I've talked to that's on the high side of 40 wants anything to do with Johnny Football.

It's damn universal- us geezers all want Watkins. He impacts the D as much as Football- and unless you have Wee-don't tossing the rock-between Sammy, Gordon and Cameron- someone is going to be open.

Still not sold on Manziel. At all. I'd say, the Browns won't draft him. At least not in the first round, eh?

But making that trade? You have one of the deepest drafts in positions of need for the Browns,

and you trade a third?

The ratbirds won't drop that far, anyways....

I see Watkins or a trade down to maybe 8 with the Vikings and taking Mosely early.

but those two thirds are gold in this draft.

Archived