Sign :

Alex Mack, C

Jon Asamoah, G

Aqib Talib, CB

Jairus Byrd, FS

TJ Ward, SS

Daryl Smith, ILB

Brandon Lafell, WR

Biggest offseason in the history of the Browns.

We have 56 MILLIONS !! I want to WIN

this is an excerpt from an article zombo posted earlier on another thread:

Pettine couldn't comment on whether or not the Browns will pursue Bills three-time Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd, because he's under contract until March 11. The Bills opted not to franchise Byrd on Monday, and he's set to hit the market. The problem is, Byrd already rejected an offer by the Bills that would've paid him $30 million over the first three years of the contract, according to the Associated Press, and is on record as saying he wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL.

And although he had a Pro Bowl season last year, Byrd, 27, missed the first five games with plantar fasciitis in both feet and is heading into his sixth season.

What's more, Pettine pumped the breaks a little on the Browns making a huge splash for first-day free agents.

"You never want to be that team that kind of goes out there and is into those super-big contracts day one,'' Pettine. "Having worked in Baltimore under Ozzie Newsome, it was always right player, right price and those two things have to go hand-in-hand. You can find the right player, but you don't want to overpay for him.''

Later, when asked about pursuing a big-name player, he said, "I really can't speak to that. It's more of a strategic thing, but I do know given our (ample cap) space, all options are on the table for us.''

Pettine allowed that the Browns have a plan in place if they lose Ward, and that it doesn't necessarily mean signing a big-name superstar safety.

"There are different tiers in free agency,'' he said. "Once the first one goes, that might have a chain reaction throughout.''

He also declined to say if the club is currently negotiating with Ward's agent. The Eagles are likely to pursue Ward and Byrd, who both played for coach Chip Kelly at Oregon.

"I won't speak on contract negotiations,'' Pettine said. "That's a policy of Ray (Farmer's) and I believe in that too.''

take what you want away from this article but it seems pretty clear that the browns have no plan on being a big 'splash' player in FA. it's not that they won't sign anyone (IMO) it's just i doubt it'll be some guy wanting to be the highest paid player at any position.

Sign :

Alex Mack, C

Jon Asamoah, G

Aqib Talib, CB

Jairus Byrd, FS

TJ Ward, SS

Daryl Smith, ILB

Brandon Lafell, WR

Biggest offseason in the history of the Browns.

We have 56 MILLIONS !! I want to WIN

Yeah but if you look at half the contracts of those guys you listed are gonna get, we will never be able to afford all of them without putting ourselves in cap hell and not able to re-sign our own guys like Haden, Cameron, and Gordon...

Mack will be 8+, maybe 9+

Asamoah will likely command 5-6+ (dont really have any idea on a price tag, just my bet)

Talib prolly 10+

Byrd 10+ probably even more like 11-12

Ward could command 8+

Given those numbers you have 41M at minimum, probably closer to 43-45. Then there's also bonuses ect. that will be paid out on top of the money that we have to have allocated for the draft. You do all that and you put us in real trouble next year when salaries go up for everyone and then we got to start restructuring and cutting solid players. this isnt the way to get better.

Sign a few guys to larger contracts, fine. But then we got to start thinking about our own too, like the guys I mentioned to start with.

I am trying to figure out how we are going to spend enough to hit the cap floor. We have to spend a lot of money without setting ourselves up for cap issues in the future.

not spending actually helps us. Not hitting the floor means nothing. They just have to split the amount between the players that gets us to the floor.

Given those numbers you have 41M at minimum, probably closer to 43-45. Then there's also bonuses ect. that will be paid out on top of the money that we have to have allocated for the draft. You do all that and you put us in real trouble next year when salaries go up for everyone and then we got to start restructuring and cutting solid players. this isnt the way to get better.

Dude we've been aweful for about 15 years.

Next year we would plat for the Superbowl. I'm so tired with losing. If they can just give us 1 great year, i'd sign every day.

Next year we would plat for the Superbowl. I'm so tired with losing. If they can just give us 1 great year, i'd sign every day.

If you believe 5 overpriced free agents are going to take us to the promised land, you're just being ignorant. Free Agents dont always work the best for teams. Let's ask the Eagles and the "Dream Team." Sort of need a team to gel, and if you're blowing up and re-building in free agency every couple of years, it's never gonna work. Also, not likely to win a Superbowl in year 1 with a rookie HC/GM and either a rookie QB or a new starting QB like Hoyer.

Free agency works best for teams that are one or two players away from Super Bowl contention. That's not the Browns. Still, I'd like to see them sign Asamoah because I think we could really use two guards and we could get another in the draft. Ditto for ILB, and maybe a CB or WR. The rest should come through the draft.

wow. another 13 year old.

can't we subdivide the forum with an adult section and a kiddie table section?

next year we would play for or in the super bowl? everyone plays for the super bowl. it's whether you make it or not. go play some madden and calm the F down.

wow. another 13 year old.

can't we subdivide the forum with an adult section and a kiddie table section?

next year we would play for or in the super bowl? everyone plays for the super bowl. it's whether you make it or not. go play some madden and calm the F down.

What's wrong with you buddy ? You frustrated or something ? If you're confortable losing games after games years after years, well i guess what everybody say about Cleveland is right. They're just losers as sports fans and city. I'm not from Cleveland. Not even from the us. In my country, we're educated to be kind and polite. I guess yours parents forgot that when they raised you.

So stay clam amigo, i don't give a shit about you. I'm here to talk ball. If you don't like it, get outta here, or at least, be quiet.

What's wrong with you buddy ? You frustrated or something ? If you're confortable losing games after games years after years, well i guess what everybody say about Cleveland is right. They're just losers as sports fans and city. I'm not from Cleveland. Not even from the us. In my country, we're educated to be kind and polite. I guess yours parents forgot that when they raised you.

So stay clam amigo, i don't give a shit about you. I'm here to talk ball. If you don't like it, get outta here, or at least, be quiet.

Mik talks like that to everyone he first meets here. Don't take it personally and it won't bother you. :)

If you think Cleveland is a loser city with loser fans then why are you here?

If you think Cleveland is a loser city with loser fans then why are you here?

thank you.

all these guys/kids/shemales coming on here telling us to spend all our money in FA, love JF and if you don't like it you are being abusive with your comments cuz you are a naysayer.

sorry, mike. not drunk. if that's all you got to disregard my opinion then fine, go with that. we'll see who hits more on their own mock drafts in the end.

can i call you a BR slouch when everything you've said since the end of the 2013 season will be proven wrong? yeah i'm a drunk and you're a journalist.

Next year we would play for the Superbowl. I'm so tired with losing. If they can just give us 1 great year, i'd sign every day.

So you're all in on one and done? The Eagles tried that- signing Asomugha and every other high priced FA they could- too bad it didn't work. We paid Kruger a ton of money- so how's that working out? It's nuts to spend every dollar of your cap room unless you're a certain SB contender- and the Browns are far from one. BTW, just Mack $10 million, Byrd another $10 million (at least) and probably Ward (around $8 million), and we've already shot 1\2 the Cap room.

If you believe 5 overpriced free agents are going to take us to the promised land, you're just being ignorant. Free Agents don't always work the best for teams. Let's ask the Eagles and the "Dream Team." Sort of need a team to gel, and if you're blowing up and re-building in free agency every couple of years, it's never gonna work. Also, not likely to win a Superbowl in year 1 with a rookie HC/GM and either a rookie QB or a new starting QB like Hoyer.

Yup, and when those high priced back-loaded contracts come due, you either have to ask them to restructure, or cut them. The Cowboys can't afford DeMarcus Ware @ $13 million. And no, the Browns aren't going to pay that kind of money on a DE who's 31 years old. Just wait and watch what happens to the Broncos in a year or two when Von Miller is off his rookie contract- they have a roaster loaded with big buck contracts- Manning, Clady, Cromartie, and Welker for starters. I smell a major dismantling coming.

Fuck off. You can't say "we" based off of that first comment. You aren't from the Cleveland or even the US, and more importantly you insulted this city and the people here. Eat shit. Only people from the Cleveland area can insult Cleveland.

(Chris, you are actually a fan and a nice guy. Feel free to say "we")

Archived