THE BROWNS BOARD

DQ JACKSON a COLT

Nails

I wish we would have just traded him for something, anything. We'll still have just over 4 millions of dead cap space on the book now for this season. It didn't take DQ long to land on a team. I'm sure we could have gotten something for him...

I wish we would have just traded him for something, anything. We'll still have just over 4 millions of dead cap space on the book now for this season. It didn't take DQ long to land on a team. I'm sure we could have gotten something for him...

this. The contract the Colts gave him is proof that he had "some" trade value. They guaranteed him 11m. They have a surplus of OLB'ers, possibly even more than we do...wouldn't have minded for us to pull that german kid out of there for DQ. Do we go after Angerer now that Indy let him go?

Where are you coming up with this bullshit about dead cap space. It is my understanding that it freed up 4 million in cap space to use elsewhere on someone that may be good.

You seem to be saying that is not true.

What IS the truth?

Can anyone who really knows tell us?

The Browns released Jackson, making him the first of several possible cap casualties. Jackson was scheduled to make $9.433 million in 2014 against the cap, which would have been second highest on the team. By releasing him before March 15, the Browns avoided having to pay him $4.1 million in roster/workout bonuses. Due to his original signing bonus, though, Jackson will account for $4.2 million in dead money against the cap this year, but they won't have to pay him anything in 2015 or 2016. The savings on Jackson is $5.233 million.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OK, can we get the facts from a real source now.

In other words...had we kept DQ, how much would he have cost

OK, I went and found it myself:

By cutting D’Qwell Jackson the Cleveland Browns are saving $8.1 million dollars salary cap room. ESPN listed the top ten salaries by players in the Cleveland Browns organization. They are listed here in order of total cash cost for this year.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1153163/cleveland-browns-cut-popular-middle-linebacker-dqwell-jackson/#5Iw2ttB2e4tAfbvl.99

The Browns released Jackson, making him the first of several possible cap casualties. Jackson was scheduled to make $9.433 million in 2014 against the cap, which would have been second highest on the team. By releasing him before March 15, the Browns avoided having to pay him $4.1 million in roster/workout bonuses. Due to his original signing bonus, though, Jackson will account for $4.2 million in dead money against the cap this year, but they won't have to pay him anything in 2015 or 2016. The savings on Jackson is $5.233 million.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, PG, what that tells me is Jackson wasn't willing to restructure for less than $6 million this year, and $5 million next- guaranteed. I'll also bet he wasn't willing to take anything less than a multi-year deal. It also says the Browns didn't think DQ was worth anywhere close to $9 million in 2014. Don't know the contract details- but neither did Indy apparently.

Jackson was the 2nd highest paid MLB in the NFL. He was grossly over paid and we had to make this move.

Jackson looks good on paper, but he wasn't a downhill playmaker that we need to be a top defense. Throw in the fact that he is on the wrong side of 30 it really did void his trade value.

Brian Mackler, the agent talked. There was some interesting information he shared on the show. I saw it past by my tweet deck a little while ago. Link is below.

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/dqwell-jacksons-agent-brian

Thanks, Guy. Yup, the soundbite is all you need to know. DQ finally got sick and tired of the churn in the FO and coaching staff. He wasn't going to stay for the same money in Cleveland regardless.

Archived