THE BROWNS BOARD

Sammy Watkins put on a show at his Pro Day

WalterWhite

Watkins may be the best player for us right now. But hes also not a long term fit. If we draft Watkins, there are three outcomes. A- Gordon is let go after his rookie deal. B- Watkins is let go after his rookie deal. C- Watkins doesnt live up to expectations. There is more than one difference maker in this draft, but there is only one ball. If its not a QB, its Clowney, Mack, or Robinson.

Watkins may be the best player for us right now. But hes also not a long term fit. If we draft Watkins, there are three outcomes. A- Gordon is let go after his rookie deal. B- Watkins is let go after his rookie deal. C- Watkins doesnt live up to expectations. There is more than one difference maker in this draft, but there is only one ball. If its not a QB, its Clowney, Mack, or Robinson.

I do not agree with your A , B or C scenarios. Having said that we do agree he is not the right pick. The number 2 in Shanahan's offense doesn't get nearly enough action to warrant the pick at 4. The depth at WR in this draft allows us to get a damn good WR lower in the draft.

I do not agree with your A , B or C scenarios. Having said that we do agree he is not the right pick. The number 2 in Shanahan's offense doesn't get nearly enough action to warrant the pick at 4. The depth at WR in this draft allows us to get a damn good WR lower in the draft.

the thing is there is so much depth i wouldn't want to hold onto the pick unless you (the FO) is CONVINCED that the player they covet has dropped in your lap at 4 and is head and shoulders above his peers at the same position. i say trade down. even if it's not for one of the guys i want the 9-15 picks is where i see the best value and you'll get an extra pick as well.

Ive made those points before also.

the thing is there is so much depth i wouldn't want to hold onto the pick unless you (the FO) is CONVINCED that the player they covet has dropped in your lap at 4 and is head and shoulders above his peers at the same position. i say trade down. even if it's not for one of the guys i want the 9-15 picks is where i see the best value and you'll get an extra pick as well.

last year the Vikings moved up from like 28 to 18 for a third round pick. I say we get our guy at 4, and move up from 35. We have enough picks as is.

mike i could care less about what you think.

you've shown your true colors in the past 4 months of being nothing but a loud-mouthed biased so-called internet journalist.

if you can't deal with other people's opinions and be fine with it then i suggest you throw your typewriter out the window.

The number 2 in Shanahan's offense doesn't get nearly enough action to warrant the pick at 4. The depth at WR in this draft allows us to get a damn good WR lower in the draft.

I understand this argument, but when the 2s have been the likes of Kevin Walter, Santana Moss/Josh Morgan... is it to say that he doesnt use them, or just really had to talent to use them more.

Walter actually had some decent years under him, but was oft-injured.

Now I like Sammy, and as others have pointed out, it's a deep class so you may be able to wait till 26 or the second round, but other than Gordon, IDK if there are really any locks to make the team on this current roster. You could make cases for Greg Little and Travis Benjamin, and I think Benjamin is more of a lock, and will fill more of an Aldrick Robinson type role with the team.

Our receivers now are Travis Benjamin, Greg Little, Josh Cooper, Tori Gurley, and Charles Johnson, and I dont think you can say any are locks to make the team. We're gonna have to do some work in FA and the draft.

Many of us have had this "Hoyer to Gordon-Cameron-Watkins" fascination for a while, and this scenario is really starting to heat up because i don't think we're going to take a QB at four, and Watkins can very well be there for the taking. As previously stated, the only problem with selecting Watkins is that this WR class is freakishly deep. Like, historically great. So how much difference is there from Watkins to say....Cook or Benjamin? I think the difference is actually wider than currently believed, and Watkins is the type of guy that can be out there day 1 and take a short pass a LONG way. Watkins can wreak havoc in the slot as well. Picking a WR in the top 5 is pretty rare, so if you do it, pick a guy like Watkins who is a tremendous hand-catcher and has speed to burn.

4.34 40 yard time... that's pretty damn fast. He's a great catcher. I like a lot about Sammy Watkins even being 6'1". Jerry Rice is 6'2". He's probably a little faster than Jerry Rice? I don't recall Jerry's time. Did they even have a combine back then? It's been reported that Jerry only had a 4.692 in the 40-yarder.

Now, I don't want to call Sam the next Jerry, those are HUGE shoes to fill.

What we really need in Cleveland are receivers that WILL catch the ball. We have had so many losses come from dropped passes and subpar WR play. We need a couple of reliable WRs to turn this thing around. It does no good to have a QB able to hit em in the numbers all day if the WRs drop the ball. We need a couple guys that will go up and get the ball with an attitude. Could that be Gordon and Watkins?

If it is then I'm fine with it, cause I know Benjamin(much as I love the kid) ain't contesting for shit. He'll burn one deep but he can't fight for it, he just not big enough. He's fast and shifty and will get open but the ball has got to hit him. I just keep remembering when AZ was good with Fitz and Bolden. They were a terror to face. Add in what we hope about Jordan Cameron is true and that is an offensive threat with himself, Gordon, Watkins and BenJ/Little.

Josh Gordon is a fantastic wide receiver. He's the Browns' best offensive weapon, by far. His accomplishments last year are remarkable considering that:

a) he had three different quarterbacks throwing to him;

B) he didn't play in the first two games of the season; and

c) he was the only wide receiver threat that the Browns put on the field and, as such, invited extra coverage on every snap

The last point is an important one to consider when deciding who to take with the 4th pick in the first round.

Just think about what the Browns' offense would accomplish in 2014 without Gordon. That could happen - be it via an unfortunate injury, or an inopportune inhale.

Now, think about what the Browns' offense could accomplish with both Gordon and Watkins split wide. Gordon would enjoy a bit less attention by the defense as they would have to respect Watkins - a situation Gordon didn't experience last year playing across from Little and Bess. If defenses continue to double Gordon, Watkins would be a dangerous weapon that could take the top off a defense or grab a short slant and take it to the house (something Gordon did quite often last year). And with defenses paying close attention to these two wideouts, Jordan Cameron would have a field day abusing linebackers in the middle of the field.

Bottom line: by selecting Watkins the Browns would add another legitimate offensive threat that, combined with their current receiving corps and whatever running back(s) and offensive linemen they acquire via free agency and the draft, would give them something they haven't had since they re-joined the NFL - a bonafide, legitimate, threatening NFL offense.

Archived