THE BROWNS BOARD

Our future RB squad + FB

LBC mike

So we have Tate now our #1, on last years squad we had baker, lewis, whittaker and OBI without a true FB. I think we need to get a legit FB now that can block and make holes. OBI was a quick fill in and did okay but I think things got to change.

Let's say we get a true FB where does that leave OBI? I really like what Baker did last year. Lewis showed flashes til Weeden passed him a pass and hung him up to dry with a tackle that took him out. I think drafting Hyde would have been great before this pick up but now I don't think its a great need with the talent we have.

thoughts?

In my opinion the Browns must draft another running back. Whoever Farmer and Pettine feel fits best with the crew and Shanahan's offense. As I see it Ben Tate is the starter, Dion Lewis is 3rd down pass catcher out of the backfield, Baker is a hard-nosed compact back able to relieve Tate. That leaves Obi and whoever gets drafted (Hoping Jeremy Hill from LSU or James Wilder Jr. from FSU - big powerful backs). If Shanahan's offense requires a fullback, then the Browns must draft one (Obi is a warrior, but he's no FB). As pointed out earlier, will be a very competitive camp.

I see it as as OL, LB, CB, QB, WR then BPA at that point to solidfy our team. draft wise as it stands today.

I would put WR in front of QB, but essentially agree with you. I think we pick up either Schaub or Grossman, and then draft a mid rounder. I think we try to get a franchise QB next year, when the first round QB talent seems better. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, yes. Tate has an injury history. The others all have question marks. If we can get someone like Sankey or Seastrunk in 3rd, I would pull the trigger.

I agree.. I know many like Obi, Lewis, and Baker, but I wouldn't bank on them for very long. They are just guys on the team. We could do better.

If I'm the FO, my only guarantee next year at RB is Tate. I'll let Whitaker, Ogby, Baker, and Lewis battle out for depth, but I'm still drafting a RB in the 3rd or 4th, and trying to find somebody to play FB. Just my thoughts. Ogby has gotten some wear, but he is probably the most talented in the group. Lewis is an unknown, but may impress depending if Shanahan finds a place to use him. Baker and Whitaker are going to struggle to make the roster in my opinion.

Completely agree. Using a 3rd rounder on a RB seems foolish after signing Tate.

I want starter quality backup. We need insurance for Tate. He hasn't played one full healthy season. Why draft a late round RB? We have 3 of them already. Get someone that could be a franchise back if needed. I want them to draft a guy, for when Tate goes on IR in week 11 or 12, that the offense could ride into the playoffs and beyond.

Though, I think a potential late round steal could be McKinnon from Georgia Southern. Had a GREAT combine showing.

I think we need to give Tate a little more credit. He has played his heart out as a #2 rb. Last year he missed 2 games, and as a back up ran for 771 yrds. He also played with a really shitty QB, so yep there were like 9 in the box. Ya I think we should just write him off already. As said before we can get a rb in the 4th round or later. We have 7 picks in the 1st few rounds, we can not be using one high on a rb. We need other talent at other positions. We have Tate and Lewis and Baker. We have to get our qb and db and ILB and wr and g and a Fs and maybe a new center. There should not be a running back taken before that.

I think we need to give Tate a little more credit. He has played his heart out as a #2 rb. Last year he missed 2 games, and as a back up ran for 771 yrds. He also played with a really shitty QB, so yep there were like 9 in the box. Ya I think we should just write him off already. As said before we can get a rb in the 4th round or later. We have 7 picks in the 1st few rounds, we can not be using one high on a rb. We need other talent at other positions. We have Tate and Lewis and Baker. We have to get our qb and db and ILB and wr and g and a Fs and maybe a new center. There should not be a running back taken before that.

If the new regime thought enough of Tate to say you're the franchise back, I think he gets a bigger contract. I know he's played through injuries. But the fact, remains, there is injury history. If Baker is still on the roster when camp starts, I'll be shocked. That means he outplayed the draft pick. And Lewis? Damaged goods at this point.Other than what we saw in a very brief preseason, we don't know what we have there either.

And while I like Obi in spot duty, he's a liability catching and blocking.

That's a lot of question marks. Almost as many as at quarterback. Again, all my opinion. And I'm obviously in the minority. Won't be the first time. Won't be the last.

Love the idea of Sankey in the 3rd. (but in all likelihood, he's gone.)

We all have a different vision of what is best for this, but at the end of day, we all want the same thing ...

A winner.

Kyle isn't his daddy, but this article by Gagnon is a better reply than I can type right now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700461-how-does-mike-shanahan-always-churn-out-rb-success

Franchise backs need not apply. ZBS running backs need a specific skill-set that teams can find/and do find on Day 3 of the draft.

Yep. Davis in Denver is a perfect example.

If the new regime thought enough of Tate to say you're the franchise back, I think he gets a bigger contract. I know he's played through injuries. But the fact, remains, there is injury history. If Baker is still on the roster when camp starts, I'll be shocked. That means he outplayed the draft pick. And Lewis? Damaged goods at this point.Other than what we saw in a very brief preseason, we don't know what we have there either.

And while I like Obi in spot duty, he's a liability catching and blocking.

That's a lot of question marks. Almost as many as at quarterback. Again, all my opinion. And I'm obviously in the minority. Won't be the first time. Won't be the last.

Love the idea of Sankey in the 3rd. (but in all likelihood, he's gone.)

We all have a different vision of what is best for this, but at the end of day, we all want the same thing ...

A winner.

I agree we need some good depth. I also think that the FO thinks he has franchise potential. Rbs are not what they used to be in the league, Chris Johnson and Trent made sure of that. Also your opinion is more then welcomed. I am just saying that if we were to look at injuries at one position, then we have to at all the others.

Half of our D line and LBs missed games last year. Haden missed a game last year, he also missed 4 with using adderall, and also missed a game in 2011. My point being is that we have a shit ton of holes to fill still. As stated before, the zone scheme is a different breed of running attack. It took an undrafted Arian Foster to elite mode.

Archived