THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Mack still getting no interest

USFBrown

Alex Mack still getting no interest

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/alex-mack-still-getting-no-interest/

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT

alexmackap-e1317732824420.jpg?w=242AP

Alex Mack’s agents believe that an offer sheet for the transition-tagged center can be crafted that the Browns won’t match. Alex Mack’s agents have yet to find any takers, even though getting Mack would entail no compensation to Cleveland.

A full week into free agency, Mack has had no visits and by all appearances has generated no interest. And for good reason. With the poison pill eliminated under the 2011 labor deal, there’s no way to craft a long-term deal that puts the Browns in a corner without putting the team that signs Mack to an offer sheet into that same corner.

As a result, the still cap-rich Browns would likely match the offer, unless it grossly overpays Mack even more than his $10 million transition tender would pay on a one-year deal.

That said, there are ways to ensure that Mack would make it to the open market in 2015, if a team would be interested in pursuing him then. For example, Mack could be signed to an offer sheet that pays him $10 or more for 2014, with an enormous option bonus or roster bonus due on the first day of the 2015 league year. If the Browns were to match the deal, they’d have to cut Mack before, for example, $50 million is owed in March of next year.

The offer sheet also could consist of a one-year deal with a commitment to not use the franchise or transition tag in 2015. This would ensure that Mack hits the open market next year.

Any team that signs Mack to an offer sheet like that risks creating the perception that it’s not happy with the current starting center or that it anticipates pursuing a new center in 2015. There’s also a risk that the freedom the team helps finagle will blow up on that team next year, if Mack signs with another team in the same division.

Regardless, Mack’s best play would be to sign the transition tender before the Browns realize that they’re offering to pay $10 million for one year to a center and rescind the offer. If no offer is going to come from another team, Mack needs to realize that, if the tender is yanked in April, May, or June, the money on the open market won’t be anywhere close to $10 million per year.

Right. I don't know what the going rate for a Pro Bowl caliber center is....but I suspect the 10 mill. Mack is being offered is practically double that going rate.

This is a couple of years old, but here is what the Top Centers were making in the 2012 season:

Centers
1. Nick Mangold, Jets – $5,362,600
2. Ryan Kalil, Panthers – $5,100,000
3. David Baas, Giants – $4,950,000
4. Eugen Amano, Titans – $4,632,500
5. Chris Myers, Texans – $4,500,000
6. Scott Wells, Rams – $4,500,000
7. Jeff Saturday, Packers – $4,000,000
8. John Sullivan, Vikings – $4,000,000
9. Chris Spencer, Bears – $3,750,000
10. Jonathan Goodwin, 49ers – $3,716,667

Besides the money, does he want to be a Brown?

That's the question- He's being offered Left Tackle money (something that needs to be addressed in the next CBA). I can't see any other team with the cap room and a legit SB shot offering him anywhere near that kind of money.

Tell his agent around $6 million a year, 4 year contract. $5 million signing bonus, and shut up. Highest paid center in the NFL if that's not good enough, go pound salt.

I'm fine with pro-bowl caliber players playing hardball to an extent. This is likely the biggest contract Mack is going to get in his NFL career, so 'holding out' is something I can actually understand. But I'd bet based on how it's all going that he and his agent are realizing no one is going to pay a center 10+ million a year, at least for a while. I'm fine offering him a front loaded contract and even making him the highest paid center but it's time to get realistic.

You all may be right though, it's possible he just doesn't want to be in Cleveland anymore. No amount of money can change that.

That's the question- He's being offered Left Tackle money (something that needs to be addressed in the next CBA). I can't see any other team with the cap room and a legit SB shot offering him anywhere near that kind of money.

Tell his agent around $6 million a year, 4 year contract. $5 million signing bonus, and shut up. Highest paid center in the NFL if that's not good enough, go pound salt.

Thanks for the insight! Personally, I don't think he wants to be a Brown and if this was expressed to Pettine or Farmer shame on them for forcing Mack to stay with the inflated transition tag.

I think he has no problem being a brown, but his agent is trying to shop him for the most money - no problem with that. Besides, if he were to sign after only a week of FA, it's probably a mistake from him. Only when we get to the draft and the possibility of the tender being withdrawn does time become a factor.

Like Canton Mike told me yesterday, Mack was a hs and college California kid.

Guess he wants to go back that way. I doubt it is that he doesn't like the cold and the snow.

Could be other reasons...

Like Canton Mike told me yesterday, Mack was a hs and college California kid.

Guess he wants to go back that way. I doubt it is that he doesn't like the cold and the snow.

He never struck me as that big of a pussy. But, you never know. He is from Berkely. Maybe he wants to be a hippie?

I was kinda holding out hope that his attitude toward the Browns may have changed with their free agency and new management. Doesn't sound like a money thing to me right now though. He just wants out of Cleveland. And that's another big hole to fill if so.

Yeah, exactly. My hope is he'll have to come back for another year on the transition tag and the Browns improve enough to convince him he wants to stay in Cleveland and he signs a new contract.

Who in their right mind is going to offer more than $10mil this year for Mack?? His agent is an idiot, and I'm starting to think he is too for listening to his sh**. Just sign the damn contract, take the $10mil and take off next year. That at least gives us some time to get your replacement...

It's not a "more than" situation. The guy just wants to be paid hoorta-like money.

I think he's worth the $6 mil/ yr... and certainly could up the guarantee to 10mil. If that' not good enough then there are some damn good C prospects in the draft... including a sleeper who will be there in Rnd 4.

Yeah, exactly. My hope is he'll have to come back for another year on the transition tag and the Browns improve enough to convince him he wants to stay in Cleveland and he signs a new contract.

This is exactly what I HOPE for, but I have had a feeling for a LONG time that if Mack had an opportunity to leave Cleveland, he would. IMHO, if we keep him this upcoming season, it gives us a little more time to find his replacement.

Mike

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

calfoxwc, on 18 Mar 2014 - 1:32 PM, said:Like Canton Mike told me yesterday, Mack was a hs and college California kid.

He never struck me as that big of a pussy. But, you never know. He is from Berkely. Maybe he wants to be a hippie? Gipper

Eh. Not exactly what I was wondering. You see, ...well......uh.... D'Quell Jackson and Mack both strongly support a certain

issue. Well, Jackson left and signed with...Indianapolis.........and Mack wants to leave... maybe to go back to...

California...San Fran?

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

calfoxwc, on 18 Mar 2014 - 1:32 PM, said:Like Canton Mike told me yesterday, Mack was a hs and college California kid.

He never struck me as that big of a pussy. But, you never know. He is from Berkely. Maybe he wants to be a hippie? Gipper

Eh. Not exactly what I was wondering. You see, ...well......uh.... D'Quell Jackson and Mack both strongly support a certain

issue. Well, Jackson left and signed with...Indianapolis.........and Mack wants to leave... maybe to go back to...

California...San Fran?

They support a certain issue? What? Gay Marriage? Legalizing dope? Making Ted Cruz wear his Mr. Haney hat?

Archived