THE BROWNS BOARD

Schaub or rookie

bermeck08

Money won't be even....Do we invest in new QB ? - not exactly our strong suite...although this yet another new regime...maybe their experts at this sort of thing.

Or do we eat shaubs 10 million and have a starting QB ? Is this hoyers team ?

Whatever we do, I hope this gets settled in May...I'm the last guy see a QB-controversy thread (can't handle them, anymore...still in therapy)

Bermeck....article below

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/17/matt-schaub-houston-texans-trade-cleveland-browns-oakland-raiders/?sct=obinsite

Schaub has bigger body and better arm than Hoyer ... but it is the mental aspect of him I don't like. He seemed shot last year. Never came across as a leader.

We don't need another head case in Cleveland. Let Hoyer compete with a rookie and bring in Grossman to backup for a year and let's see what we've got going.

Zombo

Hoyer should get the nod, but who knows. Schaub would be a nice pick up if he got the sand out of his your know what. If we get Matt from a couple of years ago, we win the North, if we get Matt from last year, we will be picking top 5 again. We will draft a qb for sure. Where/who remains to be an unsolved puzzle.

Texans would probably want too much for Schaub. Someone would have to explain to me how last year's Schaub is going to help this team. Seems like the worst possible move now that things are moving forward with the Browns. Tired of has beens always coming in and stinking up the place. Hoyer, draft pick, find a good fit veteran or draft another (Mettenburger) later to give us 3 going into the season.

Schaub has bigger body and better arm than Hoyer ... but it is the mental aspect of him I don't like. He seemed shot last year. Never came across as a leader.

We don't need another head case in Cleveland. Let Hoyer compete with a rookie and bring in Grossman to backup for a year and let's see what we've got going.

Zombo

Guy is beyond repair I believe. Once you go down that road, its hell to get out. He lost it in there mental game and it's damned near impossible not to let those thoughts start creeping back once things start going bad.

He was a pick 6 machine. No thanks.

Hoyer and a rookie either this year or next is my vote.

Hoyer/Carr/Tanney

Good stable of QBs right there.

Zombo

Check

Schaub as vet back up works...

... and Houston may want too much, but they'll deal and eat some of the salary to boot. Fan base really wants Schaub gone on par with how we wanted Wheezy gone...

Draft wise... yes, by all means pick one, but there are late day 2 and day 3 prospects I like better than Carr, including but not limited to, my bud, A.J.

I've said it a few times on here but I'll repeat it again. There's a point where the starting caliber but non-elite QB's just break down. It's evident that Schaub based on last year's performance is one of those guys. Look at Delhomme, Culpepper, Hasslebeck, etc etc. There definitely could be worse back-ups out there, but he's just not starting material anymore. The same argument is made everytime: What if he goes back to seasn blah blah where he was good? It just doesn't happen like that.

If they want to bring in Schaub solely as a mentor for a year, so be it. But I'd bet anyone on this board right now that if Schaub is pegged as a starter it's another 4-6 win season. But I don't think Schaub would want to be in a situation where he's a 3rd string QB possibly.

I have bounced back and forth on my feelings towards the QB's in this draft, that being said I would prefer a guy like Zach Metttenburger over Carr. Whomever that rookie is, id prefer a Hoyer/Rookie/Grossman (Tanney practice squad) over Shaub/Hoyer/Tanney.

grossman=weed.

weed=gordon gone.

no thanks to that bright idea.

schaub just might need a change of space as all the weight of the team (as a lot of pundits had them as their pre-season faves to win the SB) was on his shoulders last year. the guy just has to get some type of zen therapy where in plays within himself better than letting all that's happening around him influence him to make those dumb throws.

well we're going to have to bring a vet in. i'd take freeman any day over grossman. but overall bring in the one with more upside on the field and to the bank.

The only situation in which it would be acceptable to pick up Schaub is if he is released and we can negotiate a salary commensurate with a 2nd to 3rd string QB. You add into it incentives based on number of starts if he indeed starts games. We should then only count on him as another veteran presence.

We draft a 2nd to 3rd round prospect to slot at number 2 or 3.

Hoyer goes into the pre season as the incumbent but faces open competition from the other two. The best man wins.

To me that is our best case scenario. If Schaub doesn't work out I would be fine with Fitzpatrick as well. Grossman would be a last resort and it would really then only be competition between Hoyer and the rookie for the starting gig.

I've said it a few times on here but I'll repeat it again. There's a point where the starting caliber but non-elite QB's just break down. It's evident that Schaub based on last year's performance is one of those guys. Look at Delhomme, Culpepper, Hasslebeck, etc etc. There definitely could be worse back-ups out there, but he's just not starting material anymore. The same argument is made everytime: What if he goes back to seasn blah blah where he was good? It just doesn't happen like that.

If they want to bring in Schaub solely as a mentor for a year, so be it. But I'd bet anyone on this board right now that if Schaub is pegged as a starter it's another 4-6 win season. But I don't think Schaub would want to be in a situation where he's a 3rd string QB possibly.

true, he wouldn't want to be 3rd stringer- but market will bare what it wants.

I'm just not thrilled about any vet back-ups out there right now...Schaub was really good when things were clicking with the texans.

Still say the browns pass on those first 3 qb's...let one of them fall like a rock- so be it.....but make for sure we get another starting WR in that first round.

Not buying the "c" grade being passed out to the browns in free agency.... I'm happy, so far.

Bermeck (don't screw around- get Sammy first, then start looking for your QB of the future)

Yep, we either have an eye on one of the top rooks, or we love Hoyer!

Could be both...

I'm developing a sinking feeling that we are heading towards Quinn 2.0... tabbing a face-of-the-franchise quality player at 4 and then overpaying in a trade up from 26 to catch a falling knife of a QB.

Someone... please tell me that this FO has the discipline to avoid repeating that fatal error.

Could be both...

I'm developing a sinking feeling that we are heading towards Quinn 2.0... tabbing a face-of-the-franchise quality player at 4 and then overpaying in a trade up from 26 to catch a falling knife of a QB.

Someone... please tell me that this FO has the discipline to avoid repeating that fatal error.

I'm think we are going to see Grossman here, helping to teach Hoyer and a mid round/3rd string rookie the offense.

Could be both...

This FO has the discipline to avoid repeating that fatal error. :)

I take Pettine at his word...Foyer has the tools and the Browns will start with him. Aside from that, it's predictable that Foyer will have company. Having a QB with some experience (as many have said) has a lot of value and I would be surprised if Pettine and Farmer didn't know that. Getting a puppy in the draft has a lot of value too but it is also true that targeting one of next years puppies may be the Pettine/Farmer plan.

What I believe is that there is a Pettine/Farmer/Haslem plan. What that plan is is probably known only to Pettine, Farmer and Haslem. I get the feeling it will surprise us all.

One thing I'm surprised by is how little influence Shanahan seems to be having. You'd expect him and Logains to be at the pro-day of all the QBs they might be interested in, but that doesn't seem to be the way. We'll see if we get Grossman.

One thing I'm surprised by is how little influence Shanahan seems to be having. You'd expect him and Logains to be at the pro-day of all the QBs they might be interested in, but that doesn't seem to be the way. We'll see if we get Grossman.

Oh yeah...I bet Shanahan knows too. Otherwise why would he seem so passive like gftChris says?

Raiders land Matt Schaub in trade with Texans

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports10:30 a.m. EDT March 21, 2014

1395411935000-USATSI-7630229.jpg

(Photo: Troy Taormina, USA TODAY Sports)

SHARE 400CONNECT 50TWEET 2COMMENTEMAILMORE

Matt Schaub became the latest quarterback domino to fall when the Oakland Raiders landed the Houston Texans signal caller in a Friday morning trade.

The Texans traded Schaub for a late-round selection in the May draft, a person familiar with the deal told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity since neither club has yet to announce the trade.

The 32-year-old Schaub started eight games last season before his benching, became expendable when the Texans acquired Tennessee Titans backup and former Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals starter Ryan Fitzpatrick late Thursday.

Fitzpatrick is expected to serve as a bridge and mentor to the quarterback that new Texans coach Bill O'Brien is expected to draft.

TEXANS: Houston signs Fitzpatrick

Schaub, 46-44 as a starter, threw 10 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last season, including an interception returned for a touchdown during a league-record four consecutive games. He appeared to lose confidence, was booed and benched.

Schaub led the Texans to a 12-4 record during the 2012 season before flaming out late after throwing 22 touchdowns with 12 interceptions when he made the Pro Bowl for the second time since 2009.

The Raiders are now no longer forced to select one of the top three quarterbacks in the 2014 draft class, Central Florida's ascending Blake Bortles, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel or Louisville's Teddy Twatwater with the fifth overall pick.

I still think this means Grossman is on his way here.

Pretty sure. Its not like there are any cant miss FA right now that would come in and dominate. Rex knows the shanny system through and through. He will be a metor for sure. It would be cool as hell though if he came in and had a come back year at age 33.

I still think this means Grossman is on his way here.

So do I. I think he's a good fit...A capable backup who KNOWS & ACCEPTS that he's a backup, draft a rookie (maybe round 2 or 3) to sit back & learn for awhile (who knows how long?) until he's ready to push Hoyer.

Mike

Schaub to Oakland, Fitzpatrick to Houston apparently.

Here's Ten million reasons why I'm glad the Browns didn't get Schaub... From ESPN...

"Schaub, who has a $14.5 million salary-cap figure and a $10 million base salary for 2014, became expendable when the Texans signed former Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to a two-year deal Thursday night."

If he's not renegotiating, that's starting qb money, not backup.

The "gotta draft a qb high guys" better take a reality check- this is just another obvious indication the Browns are viewing Hoyer as the de facto starter- and whether they bring in a rookie or not- he's not going to be starting opening day.

Archived