THE BROWNS BOARD

QB is the TOP Pick. What Happens if the Hoyer Experiment Fails?

Soju

way to be firm behind your convictions.

who and where if you're so smart?

that's like me saying, 'we're going to pick a CB!"

at least diehard calls JF although i guess he's saying we're picking him @4.

hey, he could be right, i could be right, but call your fucking shot!

hahaha I think Id go with Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater, but theyre all real close. I would pass on em all at 4, and be trying real hard to get into the teens if Bortles or Manziel fell. I would take any at 26, Carr and Garroppolo (sp?) enter into the equation at 35. I think its an absolute certainty we end up with one of those 5.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Houston trading Schaub...I think that's a dead giveaway they're taking a QB. Manziel or Bortles. They will probably still try to sign a vet somewhere but I think it's a lock they go qb. Which means.......Mack and/or Clowney have a definite chance of still being there at 4. I think the 4th pick is going to be easy for Farmer...he's just taking the BPA plain and simple. Even though we don't have an immediate need there, I would not be surprised to see us take Clowney if he's there at 4. However, we can also do a nasty nasty nasty trade down with someone for Clowney as well. There are some good teams that perennially pick late in the 1st round who might theoretically be willing to part with 1st round picks for a few years to come for Clowney. Just a thought. If nobody's willing to do that though, take him. Let Sheard and Kruger no that another combined 8-10 sack year isn't going to cut it on this defense when two guys out in KC had that many sacks between them after week 2 or 3. I know a lot of you aren't high on taking Clowney but ffs you could have a rotation at OLB that looks like Kruger/Sheard and Clowney/Mingo. Obviously cap wise one of those guys is going to become expendable at some point in the future but holy fuck....what a good rotation to have to develop Clowney and Mingo.

Farmer & Pettine will make up their OWN minds (may have already!). What I don't get is how some of you folks think that just because a QB is rated #1, #2, #3, etc in THIS draft, he's ELITE????? There are concerns with all these QBs this year. There is NO Peyton or Andrew in this draft. There MAY be a Tom or Russell (or we may already have him), but we don't know that & I sure as hell wouldn't trade up for ANY of these QBs this year. IMHO, trade down if anything. I trust these pro's ability to make the right decision.

As someone posted earlier, don't break the bank on a question mark, fill needs, then trade picks down the road when we can afford to do that.

None of us really know what'll happen, so I'm just gonna sit back & enjoy the ride with Farmer & Pettine driving. Then I'll support the Browns Team they put on the field.

Mike

Your're forgetting the other decision maker on this team........Jimmy H. My bet is Jimmy wants a QB in this draft, and I suspect he would prefer one

that tore up the best of the SEC.

Your're forgetting the other decision maker on this team........Jimmy H. My bet is Jimmy wants a QB in this draft, and I suspect he would prefer one

that tore up the best of the SEC.

and he also hired a guy to do the job as GM and build a team that will field the best results.

not bet it all on some yahoo.

would you want your job resting on JF?

let's meet back here same time next year and see who says what then.

i might be calling you a genious or you be saying i was right. we'll see.

I'm not against QB this year. Just not at 4. Again, I think they're better taking a guy in the middle rounds, and let him sit and learn, etc. Whether that's Garapolo, Murray ( undersized ), McCarron, etc.

This is similar to what I've been thinking, pick up BPA (hopefully in positions in need) with our 1a,1b picks, then draft McCarron with our 2nd rd. or one of our 3rds, maybe even move back up into the bottom of the 2nd and pick him up there. Now I know a lot of people aren't all that high on the guy, but something just tells me the guy is gonna be a steal. Also if I'm not mistaken, I heard he tore it up at Alabama's pro day.

This is similar to what I've been thinking, pick up BPA (hopefully in positions in need) with our 1a,1b picks, then draft McCarron with our 2nd rd. or one of our 3rds, maybe even move back up into the bottom of the 2nd and pick him up there. Now I know a lot of people aren't all that high on the guy, but something just tells me the guy is gonna be a steal. Also if I'm not mistaken, I heard he tore it up at Alabama's pro day.

looked solid at the combine as well.

the guy is big game tested.

and he also hired a guy to do the job as GM and build a team that will field the best results.

not bet it all on some yahoo.

would you want your job resting on JF?

let's meet back here same time next year and see who says what then.

i might be calling you a genious or you be saying i was right. we'll see.

If I were the GM and the owner said get me JF, then I'd damn well get him. Sometimes you have the let the sphincter loosen up and pull the trigger when you have the guy in your sights thats going to bring this team back to glory despite what the naysayers think.

I agree, except I doubt McCarron would be there after our 35 pick & he MAY be gone then. I also like Garoppolo in the 2nd or 3rd & wouldn't mind Murray, butnot until the 4th.

Mike

There isn't a worthwhile QB to take in the first round! If you think there is you smoking fucking crack and need to get off the flavor off the weeks jock so you quit embarrassing yourselves. JF, BB or any other one that you people are so fucking on your knees mouth wide open are not worth the 4'th, 26th or the first pick in the second round. Your probably the same trash that was wanting to pick Quinn over Thomas in 07.

@Canton Mike

Peyton had way hurtin' numbers his rookie season and anyone saying at the time he was a potential HOFer was thought to have lost their minds.

I'm sorry, but you just made a RIDICULOUS statement!

We were not talking about 1st SEASONS. The draft happens BEFORE that, remember? Peyton Manning was definitely classed as "elite" pre draft & has proven that true. Don't come off with that "rookie season" shit with me.

Mike

We were not talking about 1st SEASONS. The draft happens BEFORE that, remember? Peyton Manning was definitely classed as elite pre draft & has proven that true. Don't come off with that "rookiet season" shit with me.

Mike

Yea Peyton was #1 overall for a reason and proved that to be a good pick.

There isn't a worthwhile QB to take in the first round! If you think there is you smoking fucking crack and need to get off the flavor off the weeks jock so you quit embarrassing yourselves. JF, BB or any other one that you people are so fucking on your knees mouth wide open are not worth the 4'th, 26th or the first pick in the second round. Your probably the same trash that was wanting to pick Quinn over Thomas in 07.

I bow down to you expertise. Pardon me for having an opinion influenced by crack.

We were not talking about 1st SEASONS. The draft happens BEFORE that, remember? Peyton Manning was definitely classed as "elite" pre draft & has proven that true. Don't come off with that "rookie season" shit with me.

Mike

Noted.

Maybe try to relax. My 'Peyton' comment was only meant to differentiate Peyton from Luck...whom had way better rookie numbers than Peyton regardless of where they were drafted.

Otherwise I totally agree with your comment that includes the Luck/Peyton reference.

Farmer & Pettine will make up their OWN minds (may have already!). What I don't get is how some of you folks think that just because a QB is rated #1, #2, #3, etc in THIS draft, he's ELITE????? There are concerns with all these QBs this year. There is NO Peyton or Andrew in this draft. There MAY be a Tom or Russell (or we may already have him), but we don't know that & I sure as hell wouldn't trade up for ANY of these QBs this year. IMHO, trade down if anything. I trust these pro's ability to make the right decision.

As someone posted earlier, don't break the bank on a question mark, fill needs, then trade picks down the road when we can afford to do that.

None of us really know what'll happen, so I'm just gonna sit back & enjoy the ride with Farmer & Pettine driving. Then I'll support the Browns Team they put on the field.

Mike

So basically, you don't think we have a shot of improving next season at all? Is that where others are coming from too?

Not sure where you made that connection? Are you just trying to make it for into you're argument against not picking a QB at 4?

I definitely think we could be better, we could also be a wash and break about where we did this year. There are a lot of holes that need filled.

To the point you've been making through the thread. I think taking a QB at 4 -IS- taking a flyer, not drafting Watkins/Mack. This year there are no 'sure things' at QB but there are at OT, WR, LB. Bortles. Manziel and Bridge could suck balls like Weeden did and McCarron and Garropollo could become studs like Flacco and Wilson.

I don't think drafting Watkins is taking a flyer nor is drafting Mack, drafting 1 of the 3 QBs is taking a flyer. It's a decision F&P might make but I still think it's a flyer.

I want them to draft Watkins instead of a QB because I think they could be really good next year and the immediate future. If I wanted them to draft a QB it would be because I don't think they will be much for the next year or two and they can throw those to grooming a rookie QB.

Hope that cleared things up.

LOL @ Mike... you know you can't quit us... (and I'm not channeling Brokeback anything...)

Nice to see all the McCarron lovers blooming with the spring flowers. Where y'all been?

If I were the GM and the owner said get me JF, then I'd damn well get him. Sometimes you have the let the sphincter loosen up and pull the trigger when you have the guy in your sights thats going to bring this team back to glory despite what the naysayers think.

Here's the thing... Jimmy would never say "get me JF". How do I know? Because Haslam has proven he is not the 2nd coming of Jerry Jones (thank God).

He just ran off two guys who were feeding him BS and put a real football guy in charge of his "personnel" department... Farmer. I have no doubt that Farmer did not stick around here to take personnel orders from Haslam.

Haslam will set the franchise goals and approve the budget, He will not dictate the means of achieving the goals. It's what real businessmen do.

If JF lands in CLE, then it will be because in Farmer's judgment, he's the guy.

I don't see it happening... I would not like it... but I would accept it. Ditto for any of the other so-called "top prospects" in the 2014 draft.

LOL @ Mike... you know you can't quit us... (and I'm not channeling Brokeback anything...)

Nice to see all the McCarron lovers blooming with the spring flowers. Where y'all been?

Here's the thing... Jimmy would never say "get me JF". How do I know? Because Haslam has proven he is not the 2nd coming of Jerry Jones (thank God).

He just ran off two guys who were feeding him BS and put a real football guy in charge of his "personnel" department... Farmer. I have no doubt that Farmer did not stick around here to take personnel orders from Haslam.

Haslam will set the franchise goals and approve the budget, He will not dictate the means of achieving the goals. It's what real businessmen do.

If JF lands in CLE, then it will be because in Farmer's judgment, he's the guy.

I don't see it happening... I would not like it... but I would accept it. Ditto for any of the other so-called "top prospects" in the 2014 draft.

this 100%.

i'd have to root for anyone that's on the roster to make the browns better.

doesn't mean i won't have the 'Please get better soon Johnny' or 'Please God let Johnny walk again!' tshirts in full production the first time he gets carried off with the field spitting out teeth and grass. (moneymaker hollar!).

just kidding. hey the kid might be lights out. if he lands here don't expect me to be a gay JF fan like a lot of you already are. like dress up like him with a girl's wig on, fake freckles and a short brown skirt chuggin beer from a keg and smokin blunts. nope those days are long gone. HA!

i have a feeling we'll be watching JF's maturation process from afar. unless farmer has the meanest poker face in town.

This draft doesn't really have the "elite" qbs that are worth a #4 pick. What it does have aarea bunch of sleeper QBs that may be elite. While its hard to find that Russell Wilson or tom Brady, I rather take my chances later in the draft on one of these guys than waste a top pick on a qb who isn't worth the pick.

BPA! Load the draft. Pick up mccarron, mettwnberger, Murray or whoever later.

IMO Bortles is the only one that makes sense @ #4- and he'll probably be gone. Bridgewater could easily be a new rendition of the oft injured Sam Bradford. Manziel's gam e may not translate to the pros. Carr shows Weeden tendencies to collapse under pressure.

The guys who are hot to push all the chips in on a qb this year are prematurely throwing Hoyer under the bus, just my .02 .

You're totally missing the point- you don't draft for need if the talent isn't there. I'll take a Mack or Watkins over any of the top qbs. BTW, a "win now" attitude rarely works with a rookie qb running the show. There isn't any Andrew Luck in this draft- sorry about that.

No, the smart thing may well be to follow (hate to say it) the Steelers model- draft your franchise qb last. Incidentally, that also worked quite well for Kansas City last year-via a trade. As was pointed out- none of last year's NFL Final Four drafted their qb in the first round. Of last year's top 20 qbs- only 10 were drafted in the top 5, so if we have a guy targeted in 2015, it may well be possible to trade up then to grab him.

None of the final four drafted their guy in the first round however one was the #1 overall pick

It's very simple... If they like a QB, they draft him at #4. It could be any of the 4 QBs. We have so many damn picks and this is such a deep draft, why not use our pick on a QB? Sure, we'd be missing out on guys like Mack, Clowney, Watkins, and the top OTs, but we don't need #1s at any of those positions... we already have them.

So, to all you QB-haters, I already feel bad for you b/c we're using that 1st pick on a QB... We'll still be able to get a great WR2, a good ILB and RB, and probably even a CB2 somewhere else in the draft, so calm down. I just hope whichever QB they pick, he gets a chance to sit behind Hoyer until he's ready...

It's very simple... If they like a QB, they draft him at #4. It could be any of the 4 QBs. We have so many damn picks and this is such a deep draft, why not use our pick on a QB? Sure, we'd be missing out on guys like Mack, Clowney, Watkins, and the top OTs, but we don't need #1s at any of those positions... we already have them.

So, to all you QB-haters, I already feel bad for you b/c we're using that 1st pick on a QB... We'll still be able to get a great WR2, a good ILB and RB, and probably even a CB2 somewhere else in the draft, so calm down. I just hope whichever QB they pick, he gets a chance to sit behind Hoyer until he's ready...

Care to place a wager on that scenario? I see it as very simple too. We are not taking a QB at #4. We may not even take one at #26 but it is possible at that slot.

Not sure where you made that connection? Are you just trying to make it for into you're argument against not picking a QB at 4?

I definitely think we could be better, we could also be a wash and break about where we did this year. There are a lot of holes that need filled.

To the point you've been making through the thread. I think taking a QB at 4 -IS- taking a flyer, not drafting Watkins/Mack. This year there are no 'sure things' at QB but there are at OT, WR, LB. Bortles. Manziel and Bridge could suck balls like Weeden did and McCarron and Garropollo could become studs like Flacco and Wilson.

I don't think drafting Watkins is taking a flyer nor is drafting Mack, drafting 1 of the 3 QBs is taking a flyer. It's a decision F&P might make but I still think it's a flyer.

I want them to draft Watkins instead of a QB because I think they could be really good next year and the immediate future. If I wanted them to draft a QB it would be because I don't think they will be much for the next year or two and they can throw those to grooming a rookie QB.

Hope that cleared things up.

And fair point. I would ask what your plan would be for getting that player at that position?

I can see this argument from both sides. I don't think there's a QB of the quality of a Manning in this draft. But I DO think that someone like Bortles COULD be an adequate starter for some time, provided the other pieces are in place. An asset, not a detriment... And could end our search for a QB for now. Not the BPA... But if the team does what I hope it does, the Browns won't be in a position to grab that guy in the future anyway, unless they're lucky with a future late-round selection.

I'm also coming from the perspective of not believing that Hoyer is that player.

And fair point. I would ask what your plan would be for getting that player at that position?

I can see this argument from both sides. I don't think there's a QB of the quality of a Manning in this draft. But I DO think that someone like Bortles COULD be an adequate starter for some time, provided the other pieces are in place. An asset, not a detriment... And could end our search for a QB for now. Not the BPA... But if the team does what I hope it does, the Browns won't be in a position to grab that guy in the future anyway, unless they're lucky with a future late-round selection.

I'm also coming from the perspective of not believing that Hoyer is that player.

I like Bortles, I don't expect him to get past the jags though.

The others though like manziel and teddy probably aren't much better than a guy like garrapolo or Murray in the 2nd. We might even go for like a tajh boyd in the 4th or 5th.

I hope Hoyer can be the guy though, I'm pulling for him anyway.

bb... agree on Bortles and all, but remember... Avoid the Boyd!

Nope. That's the plan I'm criticizing. A later-round QB pick is a waste of a pick.

Want me to list the "wasted late picks" either in or on their way to the HOF?

There are QBs throughout the 2014 draft that have a chance to be quality starters in the NFL. Thing is if all you get with a top ten pick is a quality starter, then you have failed.

Do some work on this year's QB crop and maybe you'll quit making ridiculous statements.

There are QBs throughout the 2014 draft that have a chance to be quality starters in the NFL. Thing is if all you get with a top ten pick is a quality starter, then you have failed.

I like this statement.

I actually prefer a QB not start as a rookie but, as a top 10 pick, they had better develop into an all pro type QB fairly early in their careers. The key is to have the right folks evaluating & selecting the right draftees in the right spots. I believe we have that now. I'll support THEIR choices, not ours (thank GOD! LOL).

Mike

What separates a quality starter from an all pro qb? I'll take a quality starter from the #4 pick. If the team plays good enough, the starting qb will be an all pro. It works hand in hand. I also prefer a qb to develop that first season, but that will be up to the health of the guy in front of him.

So, to all you QB-haters, I already feel bad for you b/c we're using that 1st pick on a QB...

put your money where your mouth is.

i'm bettin we don't.

don't feel sorry for me when you're sending me a six of suds, that is of course, if you've got the balls.

Archived