THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi's Mock - thoughts on Robinson/Shazier

CLEinCHI

This weeks edition of Tony Grossi's mock draft (which annoyingly stops at #26) has the Browns picking up Greg Robinson at #4 (with brownsboard favorites Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack still on the board).

At #26 he has them picking up Ryan Shazier (in previous installments he has mentioned him playing as an uber athletic inside linebacker).

What does everyone think?

A link to the mock can be found at http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=30001

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts,

CLEinCHI

If they aren't going skill position or QB with the 4th pick, I'd hate to see Mack or possibly Clowney be passed on for a OT. The defense as it stands now is 1-2 players away from being really special, and either of those guys who make it happen (Mack is actually my preference for what we need). I also think a guy like Yankey is much more what the Browns need and could easily be available at 26. As much as I hope the Browns take a QB fairly early, a Mack/OG/WR first two rounds is really enticing to me.

I think Yankey may well be there at #35... he's just a bit of a reach at 26.

On the other hand, if either Zach Martin or Xavier SuaFallaDowna is there at 26 nab 'em. Odds are not good that thet will be tho...

EDIT: and Grossi's Robinson/ Shazier idea is just stupid...

I like the Robinson pick. Don't like the Shazier pick.

Robinson has the athletism to play both tackle spots. Thomas isn't going to be around forever. The line has to be addressed at some point, and not just the guards. But with Robinson, you now have anchors. And if at any point, Thomas gets hurt, or just decides to move on for a shot at a ring, etc., you slide Robinson over. Is it high at 4 to take a RT? Sure, but Robinson provides a lot of versatility.

Me, I'm against the grain of convential wisdom when drafting. The game has changed. Offenses are changing. The Browns # of wins aren't changing. While I want a quarterback at some point, it's definitely not at # 4. At least not this year.

I like the Robinson pick. Don't like the Shazier pick.

Robinson has the athletism to play both tackle spots. Thomas isn't going to be around forever. The line has to be addressed at some point, and not just the guards. But with Robinson, you now have anchors. And if at any point, Thomas gets hurt, or just decides to move on for a shot at a ring, etc., you slide Robinson over. Is it high at 4 to take a RT? Sure, but Robinson provides a lot of versatility.

Me, I'm against the grain of convential wisdom when drafting. The game has changed. Offenses are changing. The Browns # of wins aren't changing. While I want a quarterback at some point, it's definitely not at # 4. At least not this year.

Would the Browns move Schwartz to RG in this scenario?

There has been talk of that. Especially after all the issues on the right side last year. I think it was the guard play that caused Schwartz to look so bad. But there's also been talk of him being moved to guard ( or off the team altogether ).

I believe I also read in various places, that even Robinson has the ability to play guard if need be. ( can't remember for certain )

I would not hate the Robinson pick.

He's is one of the four best players IMO, and we have the fourth pick ... so come away with one of them (Unless you are in love with a QB, then do what you have to do).

Zombo

If we dont go QB, I love the Robinson pick. At 26, Im looking at Clinton Dix, Calvin Pryor, Dennard, or Gilbert over Shazier. I feel shoring up our secondary with another playmaker takes us farther than Shazier would, and wed find it easier getting the MLB2 on down the line. QB or WR would be the second round pick.

The more I think about it the more I do not hate the idea of drafting him @4 , would I prefer Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins, yes. Would I prefer a QB they think can be a franchise guy, yes. As long as we do not do something like take Anthony Barr or Mike Evans at 4 I will be happy.

As for 26 I really think that is where you grab a WR (if watkins is not the pick at 4). Personally I would love to see Brandon Cooks in a browns uniform, Desean Jackson type of WR.

He's is one of the four best players IMO, and we have the fourth pick ... so come away with one of them (Unless you are in love with a QB, then do what you have to do).

And there's the rub... I do not have him in my top ten. Only one OT is in mine and that's Jake Mathews. I just do not see the agility in Robinson to be the top OT.

EDIT: Correction... My "board" is more grouped by position, so I had not set out my top ten when I wrote the above. It turns out that Robinson is in my top ten... #9 to be precise.

There are 10,000 mock drafts out there....and we could talk about every one of them. But I don't think I care too. I think I am getting Mock Draft fatigue. I think there oughta be a law that says Thou shalt not come out with a Mock Draft until one month before the actual draft. It does get quite daunting to try to deal with it all.

It can be fun....but "too much of a good thing" is a real phenomena.

With our 4th and 26th picks, there isn't a guy that could be considered a first rounder at any position that we have not looked at as a possibility for the Browns.

I really wish they would put the draft in early April, not early May.

There are 10,000 mock drafts out there....and we could talk about every one of them. But I don't think I care too. I think I am getting Mock Draft fatigue. I think there oughta be a law that says Thou shalt not come out with a Mock Draft until one month before the actual draft. It does get quite daunting to try to deal with it all.

It can be fun....but "too much of a good thing" is a real phenomena.

With our 4th and 26th picks, there isn't a guy that could be considered a first rounder at any position that we have not looked at as a possibility for the Browns.

I really wish they would put the draft in early April, not early May.

Thanks Gipper , I really like reading mock drafts and discussing potential players for the Browns. To each his own.

Thanks Gipper , I really like reading mock drafts and discussing potential players for the Browns. To each his own.

I do too. But sometimes it can be overwhelming because it is all speculation. I can speculate about who the Browns could/should get till the cows come home.....but I am afraid that with the draft being delayed, the cow's ability to produce dairy will be spent, and it will be butchered to death.

I do too. But sometimes it can be overwhelming because it is all speculation. I can speculate about who the Browns could/should get till the cows come home.....but I am afraid that with the draft being delayed, the cow's ability to produce dairy will be spent, and it will be butchered to death.

I agree, I think we reached that point with all the talk about Manzel about 3 weeks ago. At least when it is someone new it opens up a different type of discussion. I am with you though, the draft can not get here soon enough... being a newbie to this forum, what do you guys all talk about after the draft stuff dies down?

Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

Not sure where you are coming from with the bitter/senile comment. And he may be perfectly correct about the no QB worthy of #4 statement. Many, many supposedly qualified analysts have said the very same thing. Many say that if this were not a QB driven league, these guys would be mid round talent picks.

It is possible that we just have the redux of the likes of Blaine Gabbert/Christian Ponder/Jake Locker year.

or, maybe not. Maybe Blake Bortles is Baby Ben R. Maybe Johny Manziel IS Johnny Football. Maybe Teddy does find his Bridge over Trouble Waters.

Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

I don't know about bitter, but there's no way I draft a OT, especially one you're penciling in to play RT at #4.You draft impact players there if you think there's no qb worthy of the #4. Mack, Clowney, or Watkins all would have a much higher impact on the Browns won-loss record this year than a RT. If they really want to upgrade Schwartz, you look to the second round - where most RTs get drafted.

Really- to take a page out of Ghoolie's book- how may high draft picks do you want to put on the o-line? Three firsts and a second?

If we dont go QB, I love the Robinson pick. At 26, Im looking at Clinton Dix, Calvin Pryor, Dennard, or Gilbert over Shazier. I feel shoring up our secondary with another playmaker takes us farther than Shazier would, and wed find it easier getting the MLB2 on down the line. QB or WR would be the second round pick.

too bad all of those CBs/Ss will be gone before 26.

believe me i would love for the browns to somehow land gilbert. they'd have to move from 26 to around 11 or 12.

Robinson shouldnt be counted on right away as a LT due to his technique needing some tinkering, but his agility is just fine, and the dude is by far the best OLman available.

His agility pales in comparison to Jake Mathews, who also happens to be NFL LT ready now. If you want to roll your high, #1 pick dice on a wunderkind with technique issues, then be my guest.

His agility pales in comparison to Jake Mathews, who also happens to be NFL LT ready now. If you want to roll your high, #1 pick dice on a wunderkind with technique issues, then be my guest.

Well I dont want him at LT. I want him at LG. You want one of the nastiest run games in the league? Draft Robinson. By the time Thomas is ready to retire, Robinson can move over.

We are on the same page. I love Robinson at 4 as well. There is no way he starts as guard either. He is an immediate plug in at RT and Schwartz moves in to guard. He is also our future LT and if we can keep JT around it extends his career by moving him to the right side in a couple to three years.

Love to see a tier one CB at 26 but if not one of the top WR's would be good too.

I think this strategy also helps to rocket the production of Ben Tate and the RB we draft

I hate this draft. We essentially could have drafted Watkins and Bridgewater then probably Yankey at 35 and shored up much of the offense but instead we take Robinson (which I wouldn't hate but I would be dissapointed) and then Shazier? Christian Jones is still on the board and probably will be in early round 3. I'm not sure what corners are there around 3rd but a draft of ...

Watkins

Bridgewater

Yankey

Christian Jones

CB/BPA

+

... looks a lot better than that fistful of shit.

Nobody drafts a RT that high in the draft, unless you're the Jacksonville Jaguars... and we don't want to be the Jacksonville Jaguars do we? Stupid... people just keep coming up with shit to be different than the last guy. I agree, this is getting old...

I don't see this weeks mock draft being something that even Grossi takes seriously. For this to happen, to take an OT with the 4th overall pick when our OL is far from what is killing our offense, we would have to trade Thomas for pick THIS YEAR. And if Thomas was traded, when he is in the prime of his career and the consensus best LT in the game of football, the fans would rage.

Now with regards to the Shazier pick, idk. You only take him if you think he can slide in to ILB which I don't think he is suited for. He would do decent in coverage and blitz well from the position, but he is going to get thrown out of holes and have to drag down RB. He is more suited to be a 4-3 OLB. Plus he is a major health concern. He has never really had a serious injury, but anyone who has watched OSU football knows that he is ALWAYS suffering from minor injuries, ones that normally knock him out for the final 1 or 2 quarters of a game. I think he is a mid 2nd round pick. There is zero reason for him to be taken in the 1st round by a 4-3 team, let along a team who will try to slide him in to a 3-4 ILB spot like we would.

I don't know about bitter, but there's no way I draft a OT, especially one you're penciling in to play RT at #4.You draft impact players there if you think there's no qb worthy of the #4. Mack, Clowney, or Watkins all would have a much higher impact on the Browns won-loss record this year than a RT. If they really want to upgrade Schwartz, you look to the second round - where most RTs get drafted.

Really- to take a page out of Ghoolie's book- how may high draft picks do you want to put on the o-line? Three firsts and a second?

So? Does this mean you will let Ghoolie back on? :o

Archived