THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns HC Mike Pettine said...

thenew23

He's not saying much, but here are some tweets re-stating some interesting things he said today:

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said he doesn't view ILB as a "glaring need." Said he feels good about Craig Robertson but said deep draft for LBs.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said if team signs DE Alex Carrington, it wouldn't necessarily facilitate roster move involving Ahtyba Rubin.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said coaches feel good about offensive RT but won't rule out Mitchell Schwartz moving to guard. Depends on draft.

Asked about Mark Sanchez again at the coaches breakfast, #browns pettine said, "he's a player we'll discuss....great relationship with him"

#browns Pettine said the list of private draft workouts is confined to QBs right now.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said as a defensive coach, I don't think I'd be sad to draft Jadeveon Clowney at No. 4.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said OLB being strength of D wouldn't preclude CLE from drafting guy like Khalil Mack, Jadeveon Clowney.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine on Auburn's Greg Robinson: Outstanding offensive tackle and great finisher.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said he outside linebacker group looks like strength of the defense.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said Ben Tate "absolutely" can be team's featured RB. Still says CLE could draft a back.

#browns Pettine said former #bills DE Alex carrington is still a possibility as FA for browns.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine on Teddy Twatwater: extremely accurate, cerebral, NFL ready, has calming presence and quiet confidence.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine on Johnny Manziel: exciting playmaker. Needs to play in structure in #NFL. No reason to think he can't do that.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine on QB Derek Carr: He's the best natural thrower in the draft as far as arm strength.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine on Blake Bortles: "If you said draw me an #NFL quarterback, that's probably who you'd draw."

#browns Pettine on the likelihood of starting a rookie qB this year: "it's a possibility." Was w/ Sanchez when he took jets to AFC ch game

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said Khalil Mack's home base would be OLB in his scheme but would move him around like Mario Williams.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said if QB is best player available at No. 4, team will draft him. If not, CLE thinks good QBs to be available later

#Browns HC Mike Pettine said team will work out top-rated QBs like Manziel, Bortles & Bridgewater plus several others. He'll attend those.

#browns Pettine said he'll attend private workouts with big-name qbs such as bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel but others too. "It's a big list"

Things of note:

Sanchez a possibility

ILB not top priority

He has no clue what position we're looking at at 4

He is able to say lots of things of very little substance about QBs

We're drafting at least one QB - IMO, quite possibly two, given the supposed amount we're bringing in for workouts.

Things of note:

Sanchez a possibility

ILB not top priority

We're drafting at least one QB - IMO, quite possibly two, given the supposed amount we're bringing in for workouts.

Isn't sanchez signing with Philly?

It'll be interesting to me to see how far Bridgewater falls. There's no doubt he had a crappy pro day (can someone explain why he didn't wear gloves like he always does?) but I still think he can be a good NFL QB. I just cringe at the thought of 'catching' the falling prospect in Teddy. I believe Tour2ma has pointed this out, but the last time we did that was for one Brady Quinn.

Things of note:

Sanchez a possibility

ILB not top priority

I wouldn't be so sure. I think he knows exactly what they would LIKE to do at 4

I think all Pettine's comments are honest and rational and completely unrevealing.

If you're going to comment, then comment on everything...

ILB not being a "glaring need" is an interesting statement. I disagree, but maybe he likes what he saw from Robertson last year...

I only heard fans talk about possibly moving Schwartz to G until now... interesting...

As far as QB, this team is certainly going to do their due dilligence on these guys before making a decision. I still like Bridgewater and Bortles at #4, but I prefer Bridgewater. I don't really care if Teddy wears a glove, or if he had a bad pro day, as long as he is as poised in the pocket and productive as he was in college I'll take that any day. I think his character will shine when he meets with Pettine and Farmer, and he is probably the pick...

Anyway... this is probably just a bunch of "gamer" BS... everything these guys say this time of year is strategic, more than honesty anyway...

He's a traditional QB guy it looks like.

#Browns HC Mike Pettine on Blake Bortles: "If you said draw me an #NFL quarterback, that's probably who you'd draw."

Good. No Johnny Scramble for us

He was also blowing smoke about the other three QBs, in case you missed it.

Other than possibly the ILB comment (where I agree with 23... it seems to me to be a large, if not "glaring", need) I don't think think any of Pettine's comments individually are "smoke"...

But collectively they're like Bejing on a typical summer day...

He's a traditional QB guy it looks like.

Not to me. It seems more like he just knows what the typical measurement of an NFL QB looks like. Only thing positive he could say about Bortles is that he "looks" like a traditional QB. He said ZERO about what he thinks about Bortles ability.

Looks that way, but if that falls through for whatever reason it's not impossible we'd pick him up.

Jets & Eagles could have just traded...

No, for the same reason the Browns weren't interested in trading for Schaub. In a flat out trade,each team would have had to pickup the humongous contract. Once they're cut they could sign them for whatever the market would bear- and that was millions less.

A few things I did take out of those Pettine comments- it's BPA @ #4- no mention of a trade up or trade down- and hmmm no comment about Watkins.

And to the crazies that are thinking Robinson @ #4, nope, if we move Schwartz inside to guard- we'll draft a RT in the second round where the stud RTs usually get drafted, or use one of the third round picks on OL.

i really hope we don't pick this kid (all for personal reasons) but i think a lot hinges on manziel's pro day thursday. who knows if he'll be 'johnny scramble' or not. he's had longer than any other QB to prepare with a great QB coach and it's not like they're sending LBs and DEs in the guys face as pressure (that's why carr looked so good in his pro day as well).

but yeah. i think pettine said nothing spectacular or new for anybody to declare anything about.

off point..........

anyone see the new mcdonald's commercial where they are letting LEBRON in this secret club and they show a bunch of so-called celebs and JF is already in the club?? wtf? makes me want to vomit every time i see that shit.

So... he basically said nothing useful.

Yes, but I think over the last few months Both Farmer and Pettine have shown they are very good at playing the cards close to the vest. I think this is a smart move and it shows some of the intelligence of each person, especially Farmer. I have a feeling that guy is brilliant.

We won't find out anything useful until after the draft.

i really hope we don't pick this kid (all for personal reasons) but i think a lot hinges on manziel's pro day thursday. who knows if he'll be 'johnny scramble' or not. he's had longer than any other QB to prepare with a great QB coach and it's not like they're sending LBs and DEs in the guys face as pressure (that's why carr looked so good in his pro day as well).

but yeah. i think pettine said nothing spectacular or new for anybody to declare anything about.

off point..........

anyone see the new mcdonald's commercial where they are letting LEBRON in this secret club and they show a bunch of so-called celebs and JF is already in the club?? wtf? makes me want to vomit every time i see that shit.

Yea his group is representing manziel though. They have to help hype him.

Pro days don't mean much IMO. All these guys should be able to make all the throws without the pads, line, and pressure.

Hell, Weeden "impressed" at his pro day too.

Hell, Weeden "impressed" at his pro day too.

LOL...

Which reminds me...

Aren't we overdue for a Walrus comment on how badly we screwed up by cutting Wheezy?

Archived