THE BROWNS BOARD

Satellite dish television

So during my last trip to Sam's Club I finally signed up for Dish Network. ( Or DIRECTV whichever they sell)

It has not yet been installed, that will be Friday morning.

Since I've signed the paperwork I've heard bad things and good things.

I'm certainly not comfortable with the two year contract but, as you know, anything can be broken for a price. Right?

Poor or no reception during inclement weather and seems to be a fairly common complaint.

Still even from those who do complain these instances are rare.

Anyone have any experience with dishes?

WSS

We had one when I was growing up - from about the mid nineties onwards. My parents still have it. Originally weather was a bit of a problem - if it got too windy the dish might blow out of alignment; if there's static in the air (ie a thunderstorm) it can interfere with the signal strength. If it's raining heavily that used to interfere a bit as well. Not sure about the level of snow you'll get and how that interferes, we didn't experience it.

All that has been vastly improved, though, such that the signal from the dish they currently have basically never drops.

Heavy rain you will lose tv but usally not to long!

the first year is great deal however 2nd year thy tend to hike rate up.

dont know if you watch fox sports ohio but lots are ticked they have droped that channel.

if you got dish there giveing away free ipads make sure you mention it (even if you dont use 1 you can sell it)

Free ipads?

We started out years ago, with Direct TV. They were okay, but customer support sucked.

And then, one of our remotes went bad, customer got smart with me on the diag call for

no reason.

Then, they wanted 50 bucks for a new remote. So, we cancelled them, and went to Dish Network.

Their customer support is terrific. The only problem is, yes, heavy rain/storms blank it out for a little while,

if I thought it was the rain, I'd put an umbrella over it... truth is, we'd just get an HD antenna and watch local channels,

but Nat Geo, Disc, History, Western, and other channels...we'd miss those. Direct TV has been losing

customers right and left, every week.

Well Its all hooked up and so far it's working just great. Its DIRECTV. I stayed at some places when I am playing on the road that have had satellite dish television.

The remote control was the size of a shoe and had four thousand confusing buttons on it. This one is relatively small and really simple to operate. And they installed a poll on the side of the house so if it gets covered with snow I can just brush it off. So far, so good.

WSS

It did work great. Now, if you get one of those plasma screen TV screens,...

even commercials can be beautiful to watch....

I heard that they also have some new fangled LED/LCD tv in HDTV? I guess that means hot damn TV. I have a 21 inch wooden deluxe color TV.

Well Its all hooked up and so far it's working just great. Its DIRECTV. I stayed at some places when I am playing on the road that have had satellite dish television.

The remote control was the size of a shoe and had four thousand confusing buttons on it. This one is relatively small and really simple to operate. And they installed a poll on the side of the house so if it gets covered with snow I can just brush it off. So far, so good.

WSS

How did it work last night during the snow storm? We got about 6 inches of snow here in Fairview Park

Wow. Just wow are you behind the times cal. Cysko

Old fart, farmer. Yes, they have those LCD's... very cool. Have they come down in price?

But we've never

had one, so I figured I'd let others talk about how great they are from personal experience.

I've heard the plasma's only last so long, so then we'll get with the newfangled lcd screens.

But we didn't win an lcd...we won a plasma, so that's that.

WSS

I've had Directv for many years Steve, and I'm totally satisfied with it- other than the price which is getting mighty steep. And I've found- if you're a long time customer, you get treated differently- I've been with them 10+ years, and every time I've asked for upgrades, they've been free- with the added 2 year commitment. As far as dropouts- if your dish has a clear view of the satellites (no trees in the way) & is properly aligned it takes the mother of all thunderstorms to knock out reception, and then only for a few minutes. I did lose reception this past winter- first time (snow on the dish) but careful use of a broom cured that.

Regarding cost, with an intermediate package, Genie, and 2 TVs I'm running around $100 a month- that's what it will cost after they get you off the teaser introductory rate.And if you watch a lot of movies (as I suspect you will) those $6 a pop PPVs add up fast.

PS be sure to ask them for your free NFL Sunday ticket this year, if they haven't already given it to you- it normally runs $300 bucks.

I've had a plasma for like seven years and its still running just fine. That's a plenty long life for a piece of technology these days. I have an LCD and an led too and I prefer the led but all have a good to great picture. The plasma is good for sports

yeah i have a 42 inch plasma (samsung) and a 46 led (vizio) and i actually like the plasma better because a lot of things i like to watch are older and are not up to the 1080 HD standard and high refresh rate.

but everything in my house now is either apple or samsung.

the roof of the building we live is covered with dish tv dishes. lot of sports fanatics love their sunday ticket. me i'm fibre optic with verizon triple play since we already have our cell phone service with them anyway. no probs.....ever.

Archived