THE BROWNS BOARD

My Favorite Mock draft - and it isn't even my own ...

calfoxwc

I was just reading this, and it makes way too much sense.

The Browns will draft Bridgewater. He is supposed to be the

most NFL ready, his numbers are excellent, and he's smart.

Just not big, but neither is the other media hype "stupidstar".

Truth is, Shaun King says, said "stupidstar" won't even be drafted in the first round.

Isn't THAT a hoot?

Bridgewater might wow them in the private workouts, and their next pick is Roby, cb.

But I wonder that maybe the Bengals grab Roby, and the Browns grab

Kyle Fuller instead.

I'm a Bridgewater fan now, til the draft, until maybe the Browns don't take him after all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-shaun-king-s-2-0-nfl-mock-draft-for-2014-173020242-nfl.html

I like Bridgewater more than Manziel and am as confident as a non-scout fan can be that he will have a better career. I really hope Watkins isn't gone at 3 ... If we land with one of those 2 I'd be happy. The way Bridgewater moves in the pocket is elite. He doesn't scramble like Manziel, who cares ... the only player that does is RGKnee.

I don't mind Roby at 26 ... we better be going WR and G in the 2nd and 3rd though if this were the case.

My hope at 4 is Watkins, then G or CB at 26, the other in the 2nd and QB around the 3rd. (Garropollo, McCarron). If we went Bortles or Bridge at 4 I'd be excited but also realize it's going to take a couple years ... again.

no thanks.

i guess you've never heard the kid speak.

Mik,

not saying you in particular but a bunch of people are clamoring for us to draft Carlos Hyde. That idiot scored a 9 on his wonderlic ... illiterate, maybe he should do less punching women in the face and more studying. http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/02/alleged-wonderlic-scores-derek-carr-got-a-20-carlos-hyde-scored-a-9/ . I'm not too worried about how dude gives an interview. He really doesn't sound either Retarded, thuggish, uneducated.

I like Bridgewater more than Manziel and am as confident as a non-scout fan can be that he will have a better career. I really hope Watkins isn't gone at 3 ... If we land with one of those 2 I'd be happy. The way Bridgewater moves in the pocket is elite. He doesn't scramble like Manziel, who cares ... the only player that does is RGKnee.

I don't mind Roby at 26 ... we better be going WR and G in the 2nd and 3rd though if this were the case.

My hope at 4 is Watkins, then G or CB at 26, the other in the 2nd and QB around the 3rd. (Garropollo, McCarron). If we went Bortles or Bridge at 4 I'd be excited but also realize it's going to take a couple years ... again.

Mik,

not saying you in particular but a bunch of people are clamoring for us to draft Carlos Hyde. That idiot scored a 9 on his wonderlic ... illiterate, maybe he should do less punching women in the face and more studying. http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/02/alleged-wonderlic-scores-derek-carr-got-a-20-carlos-hyde-scored-a-9/ . I'm not too worried about how dude gives an interview. He really doesn't sound either Retarded, thuggish, uneducated.

i know man. no disrepect intended.

i just don't feel like any one of these guys i worth the #4 pick or for that matter the #10 pick.

love to trade down and get evans and trade back up and get gilbert. i could walk away from the whole draft feeling like we just became a legit playoff team.

not saying you in particular but a bunch of people are clamoring for us to draft Carlos Hyde.

The Ben Tate signing means the Browns are unlikely to draft Hyde. I think they will go for someone that can both compliment Tate and step in if Tate gets hurt. I believe they have targeted Charles Sims for that purpose. While Tate is a one-cut downhill between the tackles type, Sims will bring outside the tackles run capability as well as great receiving ability. I've seen him compared to Matt Forte and that'd be a nice pickup for the Browns if he pans out.

Yuck.

Hate to tell ya- more coach bashing of your fave on ESPN today. Or you just going to keep minimizing all the concerns about JF that keep popping up? I learned a long time ago don't fall in love with a particular player. Farmer & Pettine sure haven't. I doubt Roby will be the pick @ 26, if we go qb first, it's going to be wr- if its wr, it may be Carr- though a 20 wunderlich raises concerns about a qb- it's the same score Time Couch had.

Trust me its not Johnny Manziel or bust for me. Hes simply my favorite of all the QBs. Ive said multiple times I wouldnt take him at 4, but if were taking one at 4, my choice is him. And I could care less what ESPN says about him. Good for us, because now he may fall to 26.

Trust me its not Johnny Manziel or bust for me. Hes simply my favorite of all the QBs. Ive said multiple times I wouldn't take him at 4, but if were taking one at 4, my choice is him. And I could care less what ESPN says about him. Good for us, because now he may fall to 26.

:) OK, I agree with you there.JF might take an Aaron Rodgers free-fall come draft day. I actually would consider JF @ #26 assuming we take Watkins first.

BTW, that was ESPN quoting Mike Zimmer (Vikings HC) and "numerous other unnamed sources". Maybe it's all smoke, maybe not.

Now that I think about it- Manziel wearing the Nike stuff was sort of a slap in the face to A&M. If I had been the AD, I would have told him- you don't want to show off A&M gear one last time, go find some playground in College Station to do your workout. Sort of ungrateful for a couple free years of school and publicity, no? That was another coach's concern- are you all about the publicity & money, or are you going to concentrate on football? OTOH, maybe LeBron can talk some sense into him before it gets out of hand.

Haha, what Zimmer said is true though, there are some red flags, but theres red flags on all the QBs, his are less concerning imo. Do you know how many #2 jerseys A&M has sold because of Manziel? I dont think he owes them shit. I dont think hes really behind all this marketing stuff and has a publicist doing most of this, which means hes not really spending time with it, but making money off it in the end. Why not? He passed up on a lot of money to go do commercials and stuff pre combine to get in some Whitfield time, and never once didnt show for a practice at A&M. I think he'll put the time in.

hey we should all just chill. JF @4 wouldn't kill me. i'd root for the kid. same as mack or watkins or matthews, especially evans.

doesn't mean that our new FO is a bunch of dummies and don't know what to do.

whoever the FO decides to pick this year (rounds 1-7) i will believe in those picks.

now if they all turn out to be busts that's a different story.

If there were a QB a little bigger than Manziel, but he stayed in the pocket more like Bridgewater, but he was a smart, solid guy like Bortles ... and he was still young, but had was already sprinkled with some NFL experience ... his name would be Brian Hoyer.

I'm thinking we grab Watkins, draft Carr to sit, give Hoyer the reigns for a year and see what we've got.

I just don't think think the Top Three are guys you go "all in" on. Farmer and co. may feel differently. But I'm thinking grab the glaring talent at 4, and if you are going to roll the dice on a QB, roll it a little later, and let that guy that won half of our games in two tries last year get a real taste as a starter.

If we take Carr with the Richardson pick, start Hoyer for a year and use the #4 on Watkins/Mack/Clowney/Robinson ... I think that's a smart thing to do for this franchise.

Zombo

--PoG can't ALWAYS be wrong!

The Browns have a proven All-Pro LT, #1 WR and money invested in OLBers. Drafting Mack to play MLB at No. 4 is dumb for two reasons: MLB value isn't there at four plus there is depth at OLB already and his best potential position is on the edge. I think that's been said a million times, but I have to keep saying it.

I'll agree with you there Mike. Asking Mack to move inside doesn't make much sense.

There are plenty of quality zone blocking OL in this draft in rounds 2 and 3.

Mitchell Schwartz also played much better in the second half of last season.

This all stems back to putting way too much faith in Brian Hoyer. A person no one barely even gave a shot to make the Browns roster, let alone become the QBoTF.

So what's your opinion of Su-a Filo say if he lasts until the second round? I agree, we have to draft a quarterback somewhere but how high?

Brian Hoyer won't be starting by Week 8 of this season, so you can cut that right out.

There's a solid chance he won't start by Week 1.

Great- throw your stud rookie in from the get-go, and hello 4-12 again.

Brian Hoyer won't be starting by Week 8 of this season, so you can cut that right out.

There's a solid chance he won't start by Week 1.

dumb statement. we've got 4 weeks to go and haven't had one of these genious QBs everyone is talking about in for a private workout. hell, even belichick who doesn't do anything over the top is having manziel in.

i respect all you guys with this QB now talk, BUT just take a second to think how this team would look with another #1/2 WR, an OT to help the right side, a #2 CB that is truly a #1 in his own right, some type of help at LB and a spring chicken RB? sure throw in a garropollo (sp?) or a fales in round 3. throw in another TE. but to get QUALITY i think we'll have to use multiple picks at multiple times to move up and get that quality.

i'd give the ball to the toledo rockets QB with a team stacked with studs everywhere you look.

i guess i'm the only one that get's it.

i'm betting if hoyer stays healthy and we do make all those picks i suggested by week eight we'll have at LEAST 4 wins under our belt, same as we finished with last year.

next year they'll be another teddy, another johnny another bortles. why not hand the reigns over to them when we have a top 5 defense and a top ten offense waiting for the golden child?

i'd give the ball to the toledo rockets QB with a team stacked with studs everywhere you look.

i'm betting if hoyer stays healthy and we do make all those picks i suggested by week eight we'll have at LEAST 4 wins under our belt, same as we finished with last year.

next year they'll be another teddy, another johnny another bortles. why not hand the reigns over to them when we have a top 5 defense and a top ten offense waiting for the golden child?

I don't know about the Rockets qb, but the qb NOW camp is forgetting that's exactly how the Steelers got to where they are- qb last. By all accounts the 2015 qb class will be at least as deep as this years- so the Browns wouldn't have to draft #1 overall- just top 10.

and that's assuming Hoyer flops- amazing on how many guys already have him thrown under the bus. Farmer and Pettine haven't.

Sure, let's get 11 Pro Bowl players on offense and 11 Pro Bowl players on defense.

Except for the fact that isn't possible.

Great players make those around them better. There's a reason the Patriots can keep shipping off their WR's to other teams but still manage to field one of the best offenses in the league no matter who's catching the ball.

That's what the "save a QB for last" camp doesn't get.

Sure, we can get two studly WR's like Atlanta. And we can also not make the Super Bowl like Atlanta.

And Mik, we had Bortles here yesterday.

I respect all you guys with this QB now talk, BUT just take a second to think how this team would look with another #1/2 WR, an OT to help the right side, a #2 CB that is truly a #1 in his own right, some type of help at LB and a spring chicken RB? sure throw in a garropollo (sp?) or a fales in round 3. throw in another TE. but to get QUALITY i think we'll have to use multiple picks at multiple times to move up and get that quality.

I did what you said, and took a second to think how the team would look with all those improvements, and leaving the QB position alone... here's what I saw...

The 2013 GB Packers. 6-2 with Aaron Rodgers, 2-5-1 without him... hmmm... I actually like that 6-2 record a lot better...

But that is losing a starter. And look where Rodgers was drafted.Round one, pick 24.

So, why wouldn't the Browns wait til their 26 pick to draft a qb?

I did what you said, and took a second to think how the team would look with all those improvements, and leaving the QB position alone... here's what I saw...

The 2013 GB Packers. 6-2 with Aaron Rodgers, 2-5-1 without him... hmmm... I actually like that 6-2 record a lot better...

not fair, the Packers roster is bad. I think Dilfers Ravens squad is more what hes talkin.

didnt Bridgewater weigh in at 214? And do you really think hes 6'4? Doesnt look it....

I thought he weighed in at 204. Maybe it was 214.

Mariota is probably closer to 6'5", honestly. There was a picture of him standing next an OL who was 6'4 and he looked significantly taller.

But that is losing a starter. And look where Rodgers was drafted.Round one, pick 24.

So, why wouldn't the Browns wait til their 26 pick to draft a qb?

Ohh sure... the consensus #1 QB drops to 24... let's just wait for that to happen again. We could do the same thing the Browns did that season and draft the top WR (Braylon Edwards) instead of the #1 QB... great choice...

not fair, the Packers roster is bad. I think Dilfers Ravens squad is more what hes talkin.

I get it. We'll just keep drafting until we have one of the top 5 defenses of ALL-TIME, and hand the ball off to our RB who gains 1600+ yards from scrimage and our backup RB will just add another 800+.... Why even bother with a QB, when we're obviously only a couple starters away from dominating a game just like that?

where in the draft will we fill the hole left by DQ? where in the draft will we get our #2 WR? where in the draft will we get our #2 CB? OL? TE? FB? RB?

that's 7 picks right there and we will prob only pick 5 or 6 guys because we will want to move up a couple of times.

oh, ok. we'll wait until next year and take one of those guys off the list because we HAVE to draft one of these guys from one of the weakest QB drafts in years.

if hoyer shits the bed, what did we lose? a guy that was hanging by a fingernail to stay in the league? or let's just throw in a rookie to the flames which is the AFCN defenses. that worked great with the last 2 QBs we drafted.

hell if i'm wrong at least it won't be an epic fail the likes of the TR pick. if you're wrong: EPIC FAIL.

Archived