THE BROWNS BOARD

Wait for WR until the 3rd round

Bummie

There's no Peyton Manning, sure. But there could be a Tom Brady. There probably will be an Aaron Rodgers. There probably will be a Dan Marino.

The excuse "there's no sure fire can't miss prospect" is played out and terribly misguided. You can never hit a home run if you're too chickenshit to take the bat off your shoulders.

now that is a bold prediction. can you tell us all who will be the brady, who will be the rodgers and marino from this class?

i'm willing to bet that 2 out of the 3 'top QB picks' are doing a colt mccoy in 3 years. so you're thinking there are a couple of sleepers in the draft that will just blow up one day when given a chance and become a hall-of-famer?

i don't think this org has been chicken-shit at all with QB picks. in fact haven't we made more than any org since our re-inception in '99? so throw that statement right out the window. didn't we have a HC in palmer that was a QB guru who picked (prob our best QB since '99) in couch but he didn't last because of no protection? then go on and on and it was always some other piece of the puzzle (running game, no WRs, no run stopping capabilities, bad back-end defense) that hobbled any QB to step on the field. and then of course the savior of cleveland (holmgren) who came in and everybody bought his SHIT and made 2 of the worse QB picks in the history of the game?

so it's not like we don't pick QBs, it's either we pick the wrong ones or there isn't enough supporting cast around them for them to succeed.

well if mack leaves, there will be a big gaping hole in the center of our OL to add to an already weak right side. what do you say let's draft the next tim couch and have him get planted every 2 plays. if it's bridgewater or manziel their dead. bortles would last a couple of years.

everyone better rethink their mocks if mack walks.

well if mack leaves, there will be a big gaping hole in the center of our OL to add to an already weak right side. what do you say let's draft the next tim couch and have him get planted every 2 plays. if it's bridgewater or manziel their dead. bortles would last a couple of years.

everyone better rethink their mocks if mack walks.

When's the last time we went through a season with one QB. We've been through 3 or 4 a year the last couple years. With two pro bowlers on the line. Mack is way way way overrated. He's great at getting to the second level an getting a body on LB's but against top level nose tackles lined up head to head he gets man handled. Let him walk

Your reasoning is fine, except for the fact that we literally know nothing about how these quarterbacks will perform in the NFL. Your "evaluation" of the draft class, claiming there's nothing more than any game managers is funny, considering as NFL scouts feel different.

From NFL.com, the very same website you've been using for your scouting profiles:

Bortles

"Big, athletic, ascending quarterback with enough arm talent and intangibles to develop into a franchise starter. Is not yet a finished product and scouts' opinions vary on his ceiling, but elements of Bortles skill set compare to some of the best in the game today, and his best football is ahead of him."

Bridgewater

"Compensates for a lack of elite arm talent and prototype measureables with the intangibles and football intelligence that could elevate the other 52 players around him. Instinctive passer with the laser-beam determination to become a Pro Bowl-caliber passer in the right system."

There's no Peyton Manning, sure. But there could be a Tom Brady. There probably will be an Aaron Rodgers. There probably will be a Dan Marino.

The excuse "there's no sure fire can't miss prospect" is played out and terribly misguided. You can never hit a home run if you're too chickenshit to take the bat off your shoulders.

There's holes that we have, and your assessment of needs is apt, but nearly all of them can be filled with quality prospects with picks after our #4.

You cite Seattle as an example so, in keeping with that theme, I will to. Keep in mind, this is from memory:

Seattle has one 1st round pick in their secondary and one in their front seven. They also have one second round pick in their linebacking corps.

The Browns have two 1st round picks in their secondary and one in their front seven. The rest of their linebackers are second round picks.

Seattle didn't just build a stellar defense by spending a bunch of high picks, they utilized the talents of the players they had. Same goes for Mike Pettine. If Pettine has a player with a certain skill, you can be sure it will be used plenty.

Further, saying Wilson is an average quarterback who was carried by his defense is awfully silly, considering as he took a 7-9 team to 11-5 in one year and then to a Super Bowl victory the next year and the only defensive players from the Super Bowl not on the roster in 2011 were Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner.

Just because a QB doesn't throw for 3,500 yards and 40 TD's doesn't mean he's an average quarterback, but that's an argument for a different day.

You're right on a QB not having to throw for 3,500 yards and 40 TDs to be elite. I have different criteria for that, and you're right, that's a conversation for a different day, and likely a good one (if we have it, I'll be dragging Kaepernick in as well). You're also right about my comparisons of QBs in this draft to NFL QBs today. Those are parallels that you can't make at this point in time, and I shouldn't have. I think miktoxic hit on your Brady/Rodgers/Marino comment well. I agree.

Before the end of the regular season I was all for Bridewater. By the senior bowl I was all for Bortles. Then, by my 50th mock viewed and NFL network criticism of the top prospects, stating that a team would be reaching at the top in a class that shows no true dominance, I began looking at how better we could use our top picks. You plug guys in (this is why I mock, why I put it out there for criticism, defend it until I’m proven wrong, and then remock), feel great that Cleveland will be landing Watkins and a QB and the offensive weapons look insane, then you realize you’re up shit’s creek with other positions; settling for guys who will struggle to start and positively impact our win column. Finally, you reach down between your legs and pull your head out of your ass and realize that we have a chance to land a franchise cornerback, a franchise ILB, likely a franchise OT, and a receiver with qualities that have the potential to make him a future no. 1, all while landing a top 5 QB.

I’ll venture to say taking a QB at 4 may be more chickenshit than passing on one, unless they feel the guy is their guy. With all eyes on Clevelands QB situation, it would take some balls to stack the other side of the ball, even if it’s the correct move. If seen Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel projected at pick one in various reputable mocks, I’ve also seen Bridgewater fall past 4, Bridgewater to 26, and heard some experts say they wouldn’t take Manziel in the first 3 rounds. There’s reason for so much fluctuation.

And I'll end with this. There's been some good debate here so far. I was part of a small board prior to finding this one. Glad you all have enough backbone to stand some ground when it comes to your opinion here. Didn't get enough of that there.

When's the last time we went through a season with one QB. We've been through 3 or 4 a year the last couple years. With two pro bowlers on the line. Mack is way way way overrated. He's great at getting to the second level an getting a body on LB's but against top level nose tackles lined up head to head he gets man handled. Let him walk

I don't know if I fully agree that Mack is overrated, but can get on board a bit. To me he's over paid (could go hand in hand with overrated). I have the feeling we match whatever offer comes from this. I couldn't see devastating a line like that prior to going into a season that could actually result in a playoff berth. He doesn't deserve 10mil, and he definitely won't deserve anything over than, but we may be stuck eating that premium to enable the build currently in process.

oh i'm not saying keep mack at all. just reread what i said.

i'm saying there's no replacement for him on our roster and our plans in the draft would have to change at LEAST one pick. a center and an OL. when before it would just be one OL.

unless there's some stop gap FA out there that could do a half decent job..........

i say trade little, cooper and skrine for mangold and bring him back home. RIGHT NOW.

You're right on a QB not having to throw for 3,500 yards and 40 TDs to be elite. I have different criteria for that, and you're right, that's a conversation for a different day, and likely a good one (if we have it, I'll be dragging Kaepernick in as well). You're also right about my comparisons of QBs in this draft to NFL QBs today. Those are parallels that you can't make at this point in time, and I shouldn't have. I think miktoxic hit on your Brady/Rodgers/Marino comment well. I agree.

Before the end of the regular season I was all for Bridewater. By the senior bowl I was all for Bortles. Then, by my 50th mock viewed and NFL network criticism of the top prospects, stating that a team would be reaching at the top in a class that shows no true dominance, I began looking at how better we could use our top picks. You plug guys in (this is why I mock, why I put it out there for criticism, defend it until Im proven wrong, and then remock), feel great that Cleveland will be landing Watkins and a QB and the offensive weapons look insane, then you realize youre up shits creek with other positions; settling for guys who will struggle to start and positively impact our win column. Finally, you reach down between your legs and pull your head out of your ass and realize that we have a chance to land a franchise cornerback, a franchise ILB, likely a franchise OT, and a receiver with qualities that have the potential to make him a future no. 1, all while landing a top 5 QB.

Ill venture to say taking a QB at 4 may be more chickenshit than passing on one, unless they feel the guy is their guy. With all eyes on Clevelands QB situation, it would take some balls to stack the other side of the ball, even if its the correct move. If seen Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel projected at pick one in various reputable mocks, Ive also seen Bridgewater fall past 4, Bridgewater to 26, and heard some experts say they wouldnt take Manziel in the first 3 rounds. Theres reason for so much fluctuation.

And I'll end with this. There's been some good debate here so far. I was part of a small board prior to finding this one. Glad you all have enough backbone to stand some ground when it comes to your opinion here. Didn't get enough of that there.

I don't feel like multi quoting because I'm lazy, so I'll just lump yours and mik's responses together.

Yes, I feel like there are two quarterbacks in this draft who could very well go on to have HOF careers. You can mark it down, and if I'm wrong five or so years from now I will eat the required crow.

As for the "we've picked more QB's in the last ten years than anyone else" bit- yes, that's true. But look at it this way, we've picked more QB's than any other team, yet we've only picked one in the top 20 since re-entering the league. Maybe that's telling?

None of our QB's drafted have been top ranked QB's, with the exception of Brady Quinn, who couldn't even hold on to a #1 spot in the weakest and thinnest QB draft in recent history. I'm not sure there's one QB of the only 8 or so drafted that year that still play.

We've gone the way of "let's bolster our roster and then plug in a middle round guy" multiple times. Charlie Frye and Colt McCoy were essentially the same draft pick just a handful of seasons removed. Even when we took Weeden in the first round, he wasn't in the top of the rankings, he was the 4th-5th ranked QB on the boards behind RG3, Tannehill, Luck and in some circles even Wilson.

As for getting a franchise ILB, CB, etc in one draft...my point in referencing Seattle was to show that franchise players, especially at defensive positions and offensive line, can be found easily outside the top 10. Wouldn't you consider Sherman a franchise CB? What about a Chancellor a franchise SS? Or how about Daryl Washington a franchise LB? There were two LB's and six DE/OLB's taken before Washington.

Yes, Mack has a good chance of being a franchise LB. But I believe Christian Jones fits Pettine's system better and has an equally good chance of having a franchise LB, and he can be had in the third round.

Same goes for a few CB's this season. I believe Roberson, SJB, and Purifoy can all find great success in Pettine's system. They have more than suitable man coverage skills, but are far from the best man cover corner. However, Pettine likes to run heavy nickel and dime, with multifaceted LB's up front, so we won't strictly be in man coverage all day.

The key to Pettine's defense is versatility, and there are very talented and very versatile players at areas of need in the 2-4th rounds.

I believe our franchise bookend RT can be found in the third.

I believe there are two or three WR's that would fit our needs perfectly and they'll all be available at #26 and most will be available in the second. One maybe in the third.

And, on top of all of that, I think Blake Bortles is by and large the most talented QB in this draft and we'll be kicking ourselves for missing the boat on him if we don't get him at #4.

So, in response, I too think we can get a franchise ILB, CB, and OT in this draft. And I also think that we won't have to squander our chances of getting a franchise QB at 4 to get any of those players.

if i were to pick a QB at 4 it would be bortles too. does that mean he's ready to start right away, i don't know. i just don't want risk throwing this kid in until he's ready and we're sure of ourselves on the line.

what about C if mack walks? franchise RT? i thought schwartz was supposed to be that?

just mentioning these things to show what might be perceived on paper not always turns up on the field.

On my phone and the mobile version doesnt have a quote button. This is back at Tim Couch.

Who are the guys you see as frachise possibilities at WR, CB, ILB, and OT?

I've been pretty high on Christian Jones as well. I think he has the most upside of the mid round ILBs. Seattle has turned some mid to late rounders into stars, but thats more of an exception to the norm for those picks. Are there hidden gems, yeah, but chances are slim on those guys. I've named my mid round WR and late round FS that I think are franchisers, I think Dakota Dozier could be highly productive at guard (not sure about how he'd do in a zone blocking scheme though), but I cant see any cornerbacks with the quickness and top end speed to be a stud, unless they're short, skinny and have short arms and small hands, which makes them a jump ball candidate.

If Bortles is our guy (the one guy I would actually be okay with at 4 for reasons you have mentioned and I think he has the highest ceiling), I could get on board with passing on Gilbert.

well either way we have to get both a #2 cb and a #2 wr.

as said before these is the deepest wr class in 15 years so i think we can find a top 7-10 in the 2nd round. as for cb i'd definitely want him to be one of the top 5 in cb rankings. man to man or zone doesn't matter, just give me tall and physical.

On my phone and the mobile version doesnt have a quote button. This is back at Tim Couch.

Who are the guys you see as frachise possibilities at WR, CB, ILB, and OT?

I've been pretty high on Christian Jones as well. I think he has the most upside of the mid round ILBs. Seattle has turned some mid to late rounders into stars, but thats more of an exception to the norm for those picks. Are there hidden gems, yeah, but chances are slim on those guys. I've named my mid round WR and late round FS that I think are franchisers, I think Dakota Dozier could be highly productive at guard (not sure about how he'd do in a zone blocking scheme though), but I cant see any cornerbacks with the quickness and top end speed to be a stud, unless they're short, skinny and have short arms and small hands, which makes them a jump ball candidate.

If Bortles is our guy (the one guy I would actually be okay with at 4 for reasons you have mentioned and I think he has the highest ceiling), I could get on board with passing on Gilbert.

I'm on my phone as well. If you tap on the response you want to quote, a quote button will pop up at the bottom of said response.

The way I see it, there's two types of franchise players: the once in a lifetime athletic talents that would be franchise guys anywhere (Megatron, AP, Peyton Manning) and then the other extremely talented guys who fit perfectly into a system and that's how they excel, but turn in lackluster performances when they go elsewhere (Revis, Sidney Rice, Julius Peppers).

Every team needs a couple of the former, which we have (Gordon, Thomas). But successful teams really have a roster full of the latter, and we do not.

The guys I have tabbed as franchise guys could see very long and successful careers in Cleveland because of their versatility and raw athletic talent, which are things that Pettine valued and utilized on his prior defenses.

I believe Jones can be a franchise ILB. He has the size and athleticism to play both inside as well as outside, and has the coverage skills as well as pass rush experience that help reinforce that fact. If versatility is the name of the game, there's none better than Jones. Pettine's base D for a while was the 4-3 under, which can easily turn into a 3-4 or even a 46 with simple shifts. Jones can line up at OLB in the under and then we stand Sheard up and Jones would shift to ILB. Honestly, outside of Bortles, Jones is my second favorite player in this draft. He's a downhill tackler with sideline to sideline speed. He could be had in the second round easily.

I also believe Stanley Jean-Baptiste has the potential to be franchise player, if not at CB then at FS. At 6'3, he's a prototypical safety body, but has the ball skills to play at CB. He only started 17 games for Nebraska, so he has a lot to learn, but he's a very promising athlete who has Sherman level potential. It's true that most corners in this draft are more zone geared, but SJB possesses the size and physicality to play press-man in more blitz-happy, quicker defenses. I don't ever think he'll be a lock down corner, but he'll likely be a first wave acquisition level FA if he ever hit the market. Marcus is another mid round corner that could find success in the NFL. He's more of a zone corner as well but is physical at the point of attack and could be a solid pickup.

I also could see Antonio Richardson as a franchise level RT. Unfortunately, he's less suited for a zone scheme than he is a power scheme, but he possesses enough quickness and agility to play in the zone if asked. He's a player that saw his stock fall because of an injury and is a third round prospect based on LT rankings, but is one of the better RT's in the draft. Adding Richardson would enable us to move Schwartz inside, as he's a more natural G. Schwartz is a more prototypical guard size and possesses great football acumen, his natural fit may be more of a zone scheme.

As for WR, I think there are a number of solid prospects we could nab at #26 or in the second, namely Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson. Benjamin's drops are concerning, but he possesses the size to be utilized similar to Alshon Jeffery, a red zone target that beats receivers in the air. Benjamin does everything you'd want, he fights for jump balls, tracks back to the ball, runs decent routes, goes over the middle or outside, and blocks. Unfortunately, he drops easily caught balls and also runs before catching the ball. Benjamin can easily be a #1 receiver and can possibly be had in the second round.

Robinson is slightly smaller but has great vertical and is more of an open field threat. Robinson could easily be a lower tier #1 if he can become an unquestioned expert at beating the press, as he doesn't possess top tier speed. As it stands, Robinson possesses all the skills to be a solid #2.

I also love Shayne Skov. He's a guy that could be a vocal point of the defense and is a downhill tackler. Not the most athletic but can develop into a solid LB with the right coaching.

I'm on my phone as well. If you tap on the response you want to quote, a quote button will pop up at the bottom of said response.

The way I see it, there's two types of franchise players: the once in a lifetime athletic talents that would be franchise guys anywhere (Megatron, AP, Peyton Manning) and then the other extremely talented guys who fit perfectly into a system and that's how they excel, but turn in lackluster performances when they go elsewhere (Revis, Sidney Rice, Julius Peppers).

Every team needs a couple of the former, which we have (Gordon, Thomas). But successful teams really have a roster full of the latter, and we do not.

The guys I have tabbed as franchise guys could see very long and successful careers in Cleveland because of their versatility and raw athletic talent, which are things that Pettine valued and utilized on his prior defenses.

I believe Jones can be a franchise ILB. He has the size and athleticism to play both inside as well as outside, and has the coverage skills as well as pass rush experience that help reinforce that fact. If versatility is the name of the game, there's none better than Jones. Pettine's base D for a while was the 4-3 under, which can easily turn into a 3-4 or even a 46 with simple shifts. Jones can line up at OLB in the under and then we stand Sheard up and Jones would shift to ILB. Honestly, outside of Bortles, Jones is my second favorite player in this draft. He's a downhill tackler with sideline to sideline speed. He could be had in the second round easily.

I also believe Stanley Jean-Baptiste has the potential to be franchise player, if not at CB then at FS. At 6'3, he's a prototypical safety body, but has the ball skills to play at CB. He only started 17 games for Nebraska, so he has a lot to learn, but he's a very promising athlete who has Sherman level potential. It's true that most corners in this draft are more zone geared, but SJB possesses the size and physicality to play press-man in more blitz-happy, quicker defenses. I don't ever think he'll be a lock down corner, but he'll likely be a first wave acquisition level FA if he ever hit the market. Marcus is another mid round corner that could find success in the NFL. He's more of a zone corner as well but is physical at the point of attack and could be a solid pickup.

I also could see Antonio Richardson as a franchise level RT. Unfortunately, he's less suited for a zone scheme than he is a power scheme, but he possesses enough quickness and agility to play in the zone if asked. He's a player that saw his stock fall because of an injury and is a third round prospect based on LT rankings, but is one of the better RT's in the draft. Adding Richardson would enable us to move Schwartz inside, as he's a more natural G. Schwartz is a more prototypical guard size and possesses great football acumen, his natural fit may be more of a zone scheme.

As for WR, I think there are a number of solid prospects we could nab at #26 or in the second, namely Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson. Benjamin's drops are concerning, but he possesses the size to be utilized similar to Alshon Jeffery, a red zone target that beats receivers in the air. Benjamin does everything you'd want, he fights for jump balls, tracks back to the ball, runs decent routes, goes over the middle or outside, and blocks. Unfortunately, he drops easily caught balls and also runs before catching the ball. Benjamin can easily be a #1 receiver and can possibly be had in the second round.

Robinson is slightly smaller but has great vertical and is more of an open field threat. Robinson could easily be a lower tier #1 if he can become an unquestioned expert at beating the press, as he doesn't possess top tier speed. As it stands, Robinson possesses all the skills to be a solid #2.

I also love Shayne Skov. He's a guy that could be a vocal point of the defense and is a downhill tackler. Not the most athletic but can develop into a solid LB with the right coaching.

Found the button. Thanks for the tip.

Jones - I'm in full agreement. Very good chance he is there at pick 3b; I've even seen later. He's a guy I would trade up from our first 4th rounder for. Lots of guys to be had in the 3rd.

SJB - I'm iffy here. I considered him and Jaylen Watkins. I bumped Watkins over SJB because of everything buy height. Watkins is faster, quicker, and more fluid, but lacks the size (weight) to be a year one impact. He's one I looked at as a draft, strengthen, further develop, and put in after a year kind of guy. SJB wins the height category, has the ability to be more disruptive at the line, but I fear he'd be a double move target with the "stiff hips" I read about.

Richardson - I think he'd be a good third round pick up. He's usually in most all of my mocks. Seems like a value pick due to injuries, as you've mentioned - I believe stress fracture concerns? With McQuistan coming in, he could develop for the first season with some game time when needed and make a push to take over the role at RT if he can perform in the zone.

Benjamin and Robinson - You hit my main two concerns. I'd take Robinson over Benjamin, but both scare me a bit. Robinson for the speed aspect, but we have two burners already, so he may just be a good fit for us. Benjamin scares me the most of all the top receivers, for a reason I have never seen talked about. Did you watch him at the combine? If not, I suggest you watch his 40 yard dash. Don't focus on time, but look at his footwork coming off the line. I get he's in a down position, but I have to say that I've never seen a receiver with footwork like that in the first 8-10 steps. If I'm a coach, I'm jamming him at the line every down...anything to keep him from accelerating. Seem like a guy who can be easily neutralized, despite his size.

Skov - I liked him until I looked more into Jones. Haven't turned back. Quality prospect, though.

--------------------------------------------

What do you think about Jaylen Watkins, Donte Moncrief, Donte Johnson (as a safety), and Dakota Dozier (I believe I once read that Dozier is capable of playing center - I'll have to look that back up)? And, if we took QB at 4 (lets say Bortles falls), who would you take at 26 and 35?

Found the button. Thanks for the tip.

Jones - I'm in full agreement. Very good chance he is there at pick 3b; I've even seen later. He's a guy I would trade up from our first 4th rounder for. Lots of guys to be had in the 3rd.

SJB - I'm iffy here. I considered him and Jaylen Watkins. I bumped Watkins over SJB because of everything buy height. Watkins is faster, quicker, and more fluid, but lacks the size (weight) to be a year one impact. He's one I looked at as a draft, strengthen, further develop, and put in after a year kind of guy. SJB wins the height category, has the ability to be more disruptive at the line, but I fear he'd be a double move target with the "stiff hips" I read about.

Richardson - I think he'd be a good third round pick up. He's usually in most all of my mocks. Seems like a value pick due to injuries, as you've mentioned - I believe stress fracture concerns? With McQuistan coming in, he could develop for the first season with some game time when needed and make a push to take over the role at RT if he can perform in the zone.

Benjamin and Robinson - You hit my main two concerns. I'd take Robinson over Benjamin, but both scare me a bit. Robinson for the speed aspect, but we have two burners already, so he may just be a good fit for us. Benjamin scares me the most of all the top receivers, for a reason I have never seen talked about. Did you watch him at the combine? If not, I suggest you watch his 40 yard dash. Don't focus on time, but look at his footwork coming off the line. I get he's in a down position, but I have to say that I've never seen a receiver with footwork like that in the first 8-10 steps. If I'm a coach, I'm jamming him at the line every down...anything to keep him from accelerating. Seem like a guy who can be easily neutralized, despite his size.

Skov - I liked him until I looked more into Jones. Haven't turned back. Quality prospect, though.

--------------------------------------------

What do you think about Jaylen Watkins, Donte Moncrief, Donte Johnson (as a safety), and Dakota Dozier (I believe I once read that Dozier is capable of playing center - I'll have to look that back up)? And, if we took QB at 4 (lets say Bortles falls), who would you take at 26 and 35?

I like the thought of Montcrief, however I'm wary of taking mid round WR's simply because we've yet to develop any studs in house over the years. Our two most prolific WR's have been Edwards and Gordon and both were taken in rounds 1 or 2. That's not an indictment on Montcrief, it's a general worry that he would go the way of MoMass and never really develop. But he does possess all the tools you look for, if he could improve his in-air battling.

Dozier is a solid prospect, however I worry he won't be as great in a zone scheme. He showed trouble scraping and reaching the second level at times and that's worrisome. I played at Coastal Carolina and still live in the area, and we regularly played Furman, so I tend to watch a lot of Furman, Liberty, High Point, UNCC games etc.

The others I haven't done any research on, but I will this week.

Being from South Carolina and having Gamecock alum friends, I fell in love with Alshon Jeffery and I absolutely love giant redzone targets that can isolate defenders and play above the rim. Kelvin Benjamin is a guy that I think has the best potential to become that player. I'm tired of seeing Cleveland fizzle in the red zone and having Gordon, Benjamin and Cameron with the ability to play high creates a coverage mismatch every time. Further, Benjamin also gives us the flexibility of lining him up inside on 2 TE sets with Gordon and Hawkins on the outside. Benjamin's blocking is above average and his size is a great asset, he won't get blown off the line. Plus having him covered by a LB or SS is just unfair.

EDIT: my top three picks would likely be:

#4- Bortles

#26-Benjamin

#35- Jones

I'd love to trade down from 35 about 10 picks and still get Jones, but I would rather be save and lock him up. A player of his caliber is more important than an extra mid round pick.

I considered going there for baseball. Great program.

The baseball program is absolutely fantastic. I went to school with Coach Gilmore's daughter and can attest to the fact that he's a great man as well as coach. That's part of the reason, I believe, they were able to pull in solid recruits despite being a small program.

They'll have a new stadium next season and that will also help.

I hate this wait. It's literally a brain game...then they go an sign Burleson. Is that a tease? It's like they are trying to play with my head. Here's why.

I mock in a QB within the first 2 picks because we need one. Hoyer could likely get it done with the right cast, but we're gonna need someone else to compete. But, I look at the team and see a ton of other positions we could LOAD THE F UP ON this year, to the point that Hoyer could have just a right arm and we would be competitive (not literally...don't hammer me on that).

Trade down to 8 or 10

1a. Gilbert, CB - starter

1b. Shazier, ILB - starter

2a. Su'a Filo or Yankee, RG - starter

2b. Moses or Bitonio, RT - starter

3a. Moncrief, WR - starter

3b. Jones, ILB/OLB - eventual replacement for Dansby

4a. Fales, QB

4b. Savage, QB

5. Dontae Johnson, FS - possible starter

6. De'Anthony Thomas, RB - share time

7. Who gives a shit

Talk me out of this mindset with more reasoning than "we need a QB," because we actually don't know that for sure. Not until Hoyer fails. So would you, as Browns fans, be happy with a draft that stacks both sides of the ball (and gives us one very young team) if it meant rolling with Hoyer and selling the farm next year to get the top guy if need be? I would take a .500 season with Hoyer if it meant we would go into the 2015 literally needing 1 piece, the QB. An if Hoyer turns out to be the guy...good lord.

Archived