THE BROWNS BOARD

Why isn't anyone talking about AJ McCarron?

VaporTrail

I just spent the afternoon watching his games against Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, VT, A&M, and this guy looks like the safest pick at QB. Why is he considered a 3rd rounder? The one thing that sets him apart from everyone else (Carr, JimmyG, Teddy, Bortles, JFF) is how he reacts to pressure. He recognizes the point of attack, continues to go through his reads as he steps up into the pocket, and finds the holes in the defense.

McCarron doesn't have the best arm, the best size, nor the best mobility, but his ability to remain calm under pressure is unmatched by any of the other QB prospects this year. His style of play isn't flashy, but he minimizes bad decisions and puts his team in position to win. He's the most well-rounded of the QB prospects and above-average in all categories except for mobility. I think this guy is comparable to Matt Ryan, so why isn't the media crazy about him?

McCarron doesn't have the best arm, the best size, nor the best mobility ...

You just answered your own question.

"Remaining calm under pressure" is not nearly enough in the NFL.

He is no Matt Ryan.

Zombo

He is no Matt Ryan.

Zombo

He throws a good deep ball. He's the right size for a QB. He's accurate at all levels. He throws very few interceptions. His game doesn't rely on his ability to do crazy shit with his legs. He continues to make reads as he's pressured and he can deliver the ball well. Who is a better prospect than him and why?

Bridgewater and Manziel are undersized, their durability in the AFCN is an issue. Carr and Garoppolo get panicky as soon as they feel pressure, and I have no confidence in either of them as an NFL QB. Bortles cannot throw a deep ball for his life. These are all major red flags.

He throws a good deep ball. He's the right size for a QB. He's accurate at all levels. He throws very few interceptions. His game doesn't rely on his ability to do crazy shit with his legs. He continues to make reads as he's pressured and he can deliver the ball well. Who is a better prospect than him and why?

Bridgewater and Manziel are undersized, their durability in the AFCN is an issue. Carr and Garoppolo get panicky as soon as they feel pressure, and I have no confidence in either of them as an NFL QB. Bortles cannot throw a deep ball for his life. These are all major red flags.

That accuracy doesn't project to the NFL where you need to smoke the ball into tight windows.

He's just another guy in the NFL, has "backup" written all over him.

Z

I have liked McCarron since his junior year, but we'll see who the PROS like. I'll trust them to make the right choice.

Mike

mccarron rated out better at the combine than some of the top 3.

you know why? cuz he had the gonads to throw.

unlike 2 of the top 3 candidates who btw are dropping like flies in most mock drafts.

because they suck.

i wouldn't touch anyone in this QB draft until after pick #20.

That accuracy doesn't project to the NFL where you need to smoke the ball into tight windows.

He's just another guy in the NFL, has "backup" written all over him.

Z

He's more accurate a passer than the rest of the QB prospects. Who do you think projects to the NFL?

I just spent the afternoon watching his games against Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, VT, A&M, and this guy looks like the safest pick at QB. Why is he considered a 3rd rounder? The one thing that sets him apart from everyone else (Carr, JimmyG, Teddy, Bortles, JFF) is how he reacts to pressure. He recognizes the point of attack, continues to go through his reads as he steps up into the pocket, and finds the holes in the defense.
McCarron doesn't have the best arm, the best size, nor the best mobility, but his ability to remain calm under pressure is unmatched by any of the other QB prospects this year. His style of play isn't flashy, but he minimizes bad decisions and puts his team in position to win. He's the most well-rounded of the QB prospects and above-average in all categories except for mobility. I think this guy is comparable to Matt Ryan, so why isn't the media crazy about him?

He has the lowest ceiling.

He also played with the best team around him

^+1, Woody answered your question. He's an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than Teddy. OMG, he played in the SEC, is that what you're basing it on? Third round sounds like about right- he's a slightly bigger Colt McCoy. :)

He also played with the best team around him

That shouldn't be held against him. I can't for the life of me see why Carr is getting rated in front of him. Carr has a strong arm, but he also plays like shit every time he comes under pressure because he panics.

^+1, Woody answered your question. He's an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than Teddy. OMG, he played in the SEC, is that what you're basing it on? Third round sounds like about right- he's a slightly bigger Colt McCoy. :)

I'm basing it on the game film I watched. The quality of the teams he's played is a factor, but not the biggest one. The games I listed make a good sample size; his best were against LSU and Auburn, and his worst were against VT and Oklahoma. What sticks out the most to me is his ability to handle pressure while simultaneously going through progressions - as he adjusts to avoid the oncoming rush, he continues to read the defense, often resulting in a safe throw. As for arm strength, people said the same thing about Matt Ryan and Tom Brady. McCarron's arm is better than McCoy's. We don't need guys that have arm strength but can't do anything with it. Were Weeden and DA not enough?

He is no Matt Ryan.

Zombo

Remaining calm under pressure == pocket presence, and it's the most important trait a QB needs to possess because it can't really be taught. The common denominator the good QBs in the NFL share is above average pocket awareness, and we saw just how much it can make a difference going from Weeden to Hoyer. Bortles and Bridgewater also have above average pocket presence, and I think that McCarron's on that same level, only not as elusive.

For everyone who's knocking McCarron's arm strength, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Bortles, because that guy's got the weakest arm out of the top 5 and McCarron.

we're not going to know how any of these guys turn out for years to come but we are already picking sides and favorites. sounds like a 5 yr. old's tea party.

just get me a top 5 CB and a top 5 WR and some type of OL and i'll be happy as a clam.

fight all you want about all your other shit. 34 days and counting.............

He's more accurate a passer than the rest of the QB prospects. Who do you think projects to the NFL?

I think Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater and Carr all could be potential starters. McCarron is likely headed for a backup role

What do you mean by "more accurate" ... he completed the highest percentage of soft tosses against Mississippi St.?

Colt McCoy and Ken Dorsey were accurate too.

When you are playing the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals every week, outdoors, in all conditions, you need to be more than "college accurate" you better be NFL deadly accurate, and if you don't have the arm, you are never going to develop that. So what else does he bring to the table... mobility? No? Oh ... calm under pressure. Ok, so you score 13 points a game with this kid, but he stays calm.

Remaining calm under pressure == pocket presence, and it's the most important trait a QB needs to possess because it can't really be taught.

You know was else can't be taught ... natural talent. The NFL is going to draft a guy with an ideal arm, good wheels and good size over a guy with average skills and good pocket presence all day long.

Zombo

I think Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater and Carr all could be potential starters. McCarron is likely headed for a backup role

What do you mean by "more accurate" ... he completed the highest percentage of soft tosses against Mississippi St.?

Colt McCoy and Ken Dorsey were accurate too.

When you are playing the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals every week, outdoors, in all conditions, you need to be more than "college accurate" you better be NFL deadly accurate, and if you don't have the arm, you are never going to develop that. So what else does he bring to the table... mobility? No? Oh ... calm under pressure. Ok, so you score 13 points a game with this kid, but he stays calm.

Could you stop arguing against points I'm not making? Like I said before, this assessment is based off of the games he's played against A&M, Auburn, VT, LSU, and Oklahoma this year.

He's more accurate based on the film, and I haven't even bothered to actually look at his stats. According to my eyeball test, he appears to be about 50% on throws over 20 yards and rarely throws it to places where a defender can intercept it. He shows great accuracy on intermediate outs and back shoulder seams on the sideline. He limits mistakes and possesses NFL ready vision.

You know was else can't be taught ... natural talent. The NFL is going to draft a guy with an ideal arm, good wheels and good size over a guy with average skills and good pocket presence all day long.

Zombo

Carr is the only QB in the draft with an ideal arm, good wheels, and good size. Unfortunately, he gets panicky at the first whiff of pressure - his first instinct is to flee the pocket, taking an angle away from the line of scrimmage, and throwing off his back foot. He might have a stronger arm than Colt McCoy, but it's not going to do him any good if he lacks the vision and composure to find the open man.

I could be wrong but i think mccarron will be the biggest bust qb in this draft.

He won't be a bust because he won't be drafted until the fourth round.

He will be drafted as a backup, and backup he will be.

No idea what Vapor is seeing ... I Dont see a starting NFL skillset.

Z

Not even going to go into why other than ACL tear. Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel would all be in the same boat as McCarron if they had torn their ACLs at the end of the season and McCarron if he hadn't would have taken their place on the first round hype train. Who is better when you take injury out of the coniseration? Hell if I know, but the media would be hyping him as the next (insert franchise QB here).

Not even going to go into why other than ACL tear. Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel would all be in the same boat as McCarron if they had torn their ACLs at the end of the season and McCarron if he hadn't would have taken their place on the first round hype train. Who is better when you take injury out of the coniseration? Hell if I know, but the media would be hyping him as the next (insert franchise QB here).

He never tore an ACL... What are you talking about?

He never tore an ACL... What are you talking about?

I was thinking Murry when I wrote that. McCarron is going to go the way of McElroy only he will be drafted higher. Might make a decent back up if he sticks at it and keeps his mouth shut. I can name 8-10 QB's in this years draft that I would rather take a flier on before McCarron.

http://clevedog.blogspot.com/2014/03/mock-draft-10.html

Some of us are fans :)

Archived