THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Stats from Rotoworld

VaporTrail

GiRRUdK.png

Statistically, it appears there are three tiers of QB. The first tier includes Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel. The second tier includes Carr and McCarron (no stats on Garoppolo. The third includes everyone else. Judging from mock drafts in the media, Carr appears to have moved from the second tier to the first, and Bridgewater might be moving toward the second tier. Make of this what you will.

"Bortles cannot throw a deep ball for his life. "

Yet he has the second best 20+ yard completion percentage of all first round QB's. Better than Manziel and Carr.

The stat that I'm most concerned with is completion percentage under pressure, and that's where Bortles is ranks higher than any other QB on the list.

Granted, there's more behind the numbers, but it's still obvious to me that Bortles is equally as deserving of the #1 QB spot as any other, but has the prototypical NFL QB body.

"Bortles cannot throw a deep ball for his life. "

Yet he has the second best 20+ yard completion percentage of all first round QB's. Better than Manziel and Carr.

The stat that I'm most concerned with is completion percentage under pressure, and that's where Bortles is ranks higher than any other QB on the list.

Granted, there's more behind the numbers, but it's still obvious to me that Bortles is equally as deserving of the #1 QB spot as any other, but has the prototypical NFL QB body.

I really like Bortles, but I don't think he makes it to 4. Stats don't tell the whole story. His long ball is terrible, and you can see it on film or you can read about how his pro day went. When Bortles throws a long ball, he doesn't have enough touch on the ball to put it in a place where the defender can't get it, and these balls get picked off (his bowl game against baylor(?) has a good example of this). Versus McCarron, who tends to have more careful placement, so while there are more incompletions, less of them are interceptions. Again, I want to point out I don't have stats to back up what I just said, I'm only going off the eyeball test.

This is the only negative thing I've read on Bortles. I wasn't aware of any of it until a few weeks ago:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/14/when-blake-bortles-falls-on-nfl-draft-boards-will-it-be-because-of-this/

I read the same article(s).

What's not mentioned is that 2 of those 4 games were wins and another was only a three point loss to a then ranked #14 South Carolina. Further, UCF was down by 18 with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter and fought back, with a 75 yard TD pass from Bortles and then a 3-play, 95 yard drive with less four minutes left that ended with another Bortles TD pass.

He also still passed for nearly 1,200 yards and 7 TD's in those four games. If you average his stats out over that four game span, he'd have an NFL passer rating of 75 and some change, which is still higher than Weeden's career rating.

Not bad for his four worst games, if you ask me.

don't have stats. watched the nfl network's first episode of 'game breakers' both QB and WR.

for QB they had bridgewater, boyd and fales. surprising to me was fales was as big as bridgewater +10-15 lbs. boyd was bigger but none was over 6' 2".

i was interested to see the film they showed on each and i tell ya........it was pretty ugly across the board. bridgewater's throws come out like earl the pearl monroe's rainbow jump shots. it's weird they go up in the air twisting like a baby in a straight jacket but come down tighter than when thrown and pretty accurately. but there was no zip on the ball and a lot of what i saw from him with completions was due to WR holds then push offs to where he was throwing the ball. very ugly, even though he had good presence in the pocket.

fales had a little bit better zip on the ball and showed some really good QB skills but he got ate up by stanford. luckily they showed some more tape against teams where his line was able to hold off the pass rush and he scored lots of points. still had those lofty long balls like bridgewater, which IMO will get picked off 7 outta 10 times in the NFL.

the most impressive to me was boyd, who has a real strong arm but get's flustered in the pocket which makes his accuracy an issue if he has to move. the big knock on him in the film of him was as soon as things broke down he tried to do a johhny manziel and scramble but doesn't have the same field awareness and got ate up most of the time. at least he is big enough to make those mistakes w/o getting killed, but would definitely be a guy who would have to sit and learn. but definitely had the best long ball of the three.

i guess next week they'll have different QBs come on and they'll show their stuff.

the WRs episode was much better and opened my eyes to a couple of other guys.

On the "how good is the competition issue" remember, Joe Flacco played at Delaware, Ben Roethlisberger at Miami Oh., Colin Kaepernick at Nevada-Reno, Kurt Warner at Northern Iowa.

Others, like Rich Gannon SB starter...also Delaware. Jake Delhomme, Louisiana-Lafeyette.

So, to say that because Bortles should be devalued because he played at Central Florida is beyond silly.

No, his third down ineptitude is why. At least read the whole post before being a cock.

I still like Bortles a lot, but it's relevant discussion.

I wasn't addressing any other issues in whatever your discussion was other than the issue of the fact that he played at a "smaller school".

Arm strength, ability to read defenses, third down capability....all that stuff I was ignoring in my post and saving it for a different discussion. I simply point out that many QBs from those smaller schools do make good.

So, you were the one being a dick while you were out trying to troll for someone else that you wanted to be a dick.

What does that make you?

Stats are less important than film, for sure. I'm just posting them because I find them interesting.

These stats remind me why I like Bridgewater so much. What is really cool about his stats are his completion percentage on blitzes suggest he's really good at pre-snap reads. He is really getting a raw deal from media IMO. Just wish he was better at the 20+ range.

Archived