THE BROWNS BOARD

Here is a professional review: ‘Fargo,’ TV review You betcha: FX's version of 1996 hit film sparkles with Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Hanks, Allison Tolman and Martin Freeman

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 2:00 AM
  • A
  • A
  • A
stars_4.0.gif
comments.png
SHARE THIS URL
fargo15tvf-1-web.jpgBilly Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo in ‘Fargo’
PreviousNext
  • fargo15tvf-1-web.jpg
  • fargo15tvf-4-web.jpg
Enlarge

They said it couldn’t be done, but the creators of the TV version of “Fargo” have done it.

Writer Noah Hawley and a superb cast of actors have fashioned a 10-episode TV drama that captures all the deadpan delight of the 1996 Coen Brothers movie.

It’s got your insane violence and your black humor. It’s got some characters who seem perfectly happy with small lives and others who have no sense of how their actions affect anyone else.

They catch the spirit of the movie cast without replicating it.

Billy Bob Thornton’s Lorne Malvo is the central figure, a hired gun with a ghost-like presence.

fargo15tvf-2-web.jpgCHRIS LARGEMartin Freeman as Lester Nygaard

He triggers the plot, so to speak, when he meets Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman), a mousy fellow in the small Minnesota town of Bemidji.

After Lester does something uncharacteristically pro-active, he and Lorne come onto the radar of the cops: Molly Solverson (Allison Tolman) from Bemidji and and Gus Grimly (Colin Hanks) from Duluth.

They all ping-pong between the small-town world of Bemidji and the far more menacing universe in which Lorne operates.

As in the movie, both worlds are stylized and exaggerated, with a deft touch.

Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman On "Fargo" Drama

DON'T MISS THE PREMIERE OF 'FARGO' APRIL 15TH AT 10PM ON FX.

KTLA_75x27.png?t=1397212260
11074419.jpg?t=1397212260

“Fargo” is designed as a closed-end story, wrapping in these 10 episodes. If it continues, the cast and plot would change.

For now, though, this is plenty to savor. It subtly tips its hat to Frances McDormand’s movie cop Marge and to the wood chipper, whose incarnation here is almost as gruesome, but less bloody and graphic.

If you liked the movie, approach the TV show without fear.

TITLE: 'Fargo' NETWORK / AIR DATE: Tuesday, 10 p.m., FX

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/fargo-tv-review-article-1.1755895#ixzz2zLEJglmg

sounds like the movie to me, which is one of my favorites.

i mean who doesn't love the brother coens' movies?

just can't get over that bad hair piece being worn by thornton. i mean i hope they aren't trying to make it look like it's his real hair, if so: epic fail.

• 1 year later...

Had to dredge up this oldie...

sounds like the movie to me, which is one of my favorites.

It was, but it wasn't... Thoroughly enjoyed season 1. CAtch it if you can.

And now season 2 has started... another "true story" set in Minniesotah. One episode in and I am hooked for the duration.

Basically shaping up as a local mob vs. outside mob battle with innocents drawn in.

Cast which is getting rave reviews includes:

Ted Danson is the local Sheriff.

Kirsten Dunst and Jessie Plemons (from Breaking Bad... think the apprentice "cook" who shot the kid on the bicycle)) as a married couple of innocents sucked into it, but don't know it yet.

Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond) as outside mobster.

yes. ended up watching the whole 'billy bob' version of fargo season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

started now on the 'ted danson' version of fargo (how can they call it season 2 if it's the same story....or is it?).

like the characters and the story and it seems like it's an off-shoot somehow.

how much 'true crime' can happen in a little shit hole like fargo?

fargo?

remind me never to wander up that way.

Actually, Fargo had little or nothing to do with either the movie or the First season's TV show.

In the movie, the action all took place in either Brainerd MN or the Twin Cities don'tcha know.

In the first season it all took place around Bemidji and Duluth....though there was one scene in Fargo (which was actually shot in Calgary AB).

And this season I understand that the action takes place around Sioux Falls.

just sayin' when you think of crime you'd don't think of the northern midwest.

BUT 2 of the most notorious degenerate serial killers of this country ed gein (who the character leatherface is based upon) and dahmer are 2 that were from that region.

it's just kinda dumb to keep basing stories (although different) with the same title from something made famous from one incident.

just sayin' when you think of crime you'd don't think of the northern midwest.

BUT 2 of the most notorious degenerate serial killers of this country ed gein (who the character leatherface is based upon) and dahmer are 2 that were from that region.

it's just kinda dumb to keep basing stories (although different) with the same title from something made famous from one incident.

Actually, Dahmer grew up right here in Northeast Ohio. Lived on Bath Road, graduated from Revere HS. His first kill happened here, apparently after an Easy Street (Westside Steve) concert that he and the victim attended. (and at which I too may have been present)

Also, the most notorious (degenerate) serial killer of another Midwest city: Kansas City, grew up right here in the Akron area, in Cuyahoga Falls. And he was my client as I knew both his mother and stepfather....who passed away recently. Robert Berdella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Berdella

The brother, Dan, mentioned in the article, was also a client, but he later committed suicide. There is still another younger half brother still alive.

So.. Westside Steve now has a six degrees of separation link to Dahmer

One degree?

FYI, both he and I can do six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

and here is how:

He and I were both in a movie called One Trick Pony starring Paul Simon.

Simon was in the video called You Can Call Me Al with Chevy Chase.

Chevy Chase was in Caddyshack with Bill Murray

Bill Murray was in Ghost Busters with Dan Ackroyd

Dan Ackroyd was in The Blues Brothers with John Belushi.

John Belushi was in Animal House with: Kevin Bacon.

(I could probably narrow the steps down...but I wanted to get in all 6 degrees and all those classic movies)

it's like having 2 black dykes and a homo housekeeper and 6 adopted asian kids and calling it the brady bunch.

Sounds like a strong candidate for a CBS summer replacement show...

Archived