THE BROWNS BOARD

Thenew23's supremely excellent Mock Draft 1.0

thenew23

Since everybody else is doing it, and I'm ripping them all apart, here we go:

#4 - Blake Bortles - QB - Central Florida

Easy pick here as long as he falls to us. Our #1 hole is QB, and this is the guy with the most potential. Despite the fact we're picking him at #4 overall, he still has to sit behind Hoyer and learn the offense until he is ready. Great combination of size, elusiveness, and smarts. Shanahan will be happy, and will be able to make the most out of this pick.

#26 - Marquise Lee - WR - USC

One of the best WRs in the draft, being overlooked by some of the larger WRs around. I would take Beckham here, but I believe he will be gone. Lee adds a true #2 threat opposite Gordon, and helps stretch the field for Cameron, Hawkins, Burleson, and Benjamin to do damage underneath.

#35 - Xavier Su'a-Filo - OG - UCLA

Not sure if he will be there at this pick, but getting potentially the best zone-blocking OG in the draft would be great. Great combination of size and quickness to shore up our o-line.

#71 - Pierre Desir - CB - Lindenwood

Played against inferior competetion, but has graded out well and seems to be a favorite of Pettine and Farmer. Good combination of size and speed, while also having great ball skills.

#83 - Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford

Type of LB that would fit Pettine's D b/c of his athleticism and versatility.

#106 - Charles Sims - RB - West Virginia

Solid running back who can do it all. Would be a great supplement to spell Ben Tate.

#127 - Kevin Norwood - WR - Alabama

Seems a little overlooked considering his size and playmaking ability. Good project pick, and a guy to possibly push Little off the roster.

#145 - Aaron Lynch - DE - South Florida

You know at this point in the draft it's all about adding guys with potential. Aaron Lynch is the type of guy who can bulk up and become a force on the D-line, and for now make an impact as a situational pass-rusher.

#180 - Tre Boston - FS - North Carolina

The former CB has great ball skills, something lacking in our secondary. He can compete with Gipson and Slaughter for that coveted FS spot opposite Whitner.

#218 - Carrington Byndom - CB - Texas

Yes another CB. Byndom is nearly 6 feet tall and runs a sub 4.4. He was inconsistent in college, at best, but definetly has the potential to be great. He could also contribute on STs right out of the gate.

Enjoy...

as someone said about my mock...love the top 5.

after that not so much.

i would comment or try to pick it apart but at this point i think that is foolish. to each his own.

we'll see in 8 days and counting.

Best mock I've seen with no trades. Addresses the 5 areas of need, the RB position, and brings in competition at others. I think there are replacement guys available at some of these picks if your guys are gone (i.e. Yankee), which makes this more of a reasonable resemblance of what could happen.

I'm high on the upside of Andrae Johnson @ 180. Tall, fast CB/FS who I think could be a monster teamed with Whitner. Lastly, Brandon Thomas @ 218 as a rehab pick to ensure we lock him in. Would play opposite of Sua Filo/Yankee in 2015, giving us some quality youth on the line. Overall, looks good.

I like Bortles, but you can't coach up arm and ....

don't know.

Lee is a great pick, but I worry about his durability.

No way on this planet that Su'a-Filo is there.

I like Desire, but he isn't as physical as my pick, Watkins.

Shane Skov, is said to be not athletic enough to be good in pass coverage,

my paraphrase - not that much lateral agility.

Sims is terrific, but you take a chance on his character off the field.

He says he's grown up from past problems.....

Tre Boston is a nice developmental safety, I wonder about his instincts, though.

Ouch. Nothing Against you bro, but this would make me cry. I absolutly hate it.

I wouldn't touche Bortles in the first two rounds. I don't like his mechanic, his footwork, his arm... Now Marqise Lee. I don't like him either. He is a fine football player but he has questionables hands, he can't stay healthy...

I'm all right with Su'a-Filo.

Then I also don't like Desir and Skov. Desir is overrated to me.

whatever player the FO picks at #4 has to be the player that impacts this team most. because at 26 we will have missed on the top 3 ranked CBs, the top 3 LBs, the top 4 WRs leaving us to select what's left over in the top 5 with that group or go with the top rated guard, if he's still there.

that's why a trade down to 8 or 9 would be great and them move up into the teens where the grass is still green, giving us 3 picks in the first.

Bortles at 4? Yuck. Just because we need a QB, we don't need to take the 30th-40th ranked player at 4. This is how we continue to suck.

Since everybody else is doing it, and I'm ripping them all apart, here we go:

#4 - Blake Bortles - QB - Central Florida

Easy pick here as long as he falls to us. Our #1 hole is QB, and this is the guy with the most potential. Despite the fact we're picking him at #4 overall, he still has to sit behind Hoyer and learn the offense until he is ready. Great combination of size, elusiveness, and smarts. Shanahan will be happy, and will be able to make the most out of this pick.

Bortles at #4 is an easy pick?

Someone else can read the rest of this thread for me from here on out.

Zombo

Well... I could say trading down would be the easy pick, but I'm not going to do a mock draft with trades in it...

Just messing with you. I have no earthly idea what they are going to do.

I only know what I hope they do (Watkins, Mack, Robinson or Matthews, in that order)

Zombo

The big trouble with mocks, is picking the players you'd want, at a spot

where they are surely to be already drafted before that.

I agree with Mik:

"whatever player the FO picks at #4 has to be the player that impacts this team most. because at 26 we will have missed on the top 3 ranked CBs, the top 3 LBs, the top 4 WRs leaving us to select what's left over in the top 5 with that group or go with the top rated guard, if he's still there.

that's why a trade down to 8 or 9 would be great and them move up into the teens where the grass is still green, giving us 3 picks in the first." Miktoxic

I've seen worse... including some that are even "published"...

To my eye Bortles is the member of this QB class with the highest ceiling, and while I do not love him at #4, if that pick has to be made by us with Clowney, Watkins and Mack off the board, then Blake's my guy.

I warmed to both Lee and Desir after seeing them both in a recent episode of ESPN's endless stream of pre-draft "specials". Both have great stories and seem to be solid guys in addition to being talented athletes. Desir's back-peddle and break looks to have smoothed out considerably in his post combine work.

Pretty sure it's no secret that I love Xavier. I think it's time to invest a reasonably high pick in a talented OG... and him at #35 overall is ideal.

Less crazy about the rest, but don't hate any of your choices. I do think Lynch is an interesting choice.

Archived