THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Analysis

gftChris

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/125571/inside-slant-digging-deeper-on-qb-class

By now, the public narrative largely has been set for the quarterback class of 2014.

Johnny Manziel is special when on the run but must learn how to be a pocket passer. Teddy Twatwater was highly productive in college but has size and accuracy issues. AJ McCarroncan't match his short-range accuracy when he throws deep. Zach Mettenberger is a pure downfield pocket passer. Derek Carr melts under pressure. The list goes on.

Most everyone has made up their mind at this point, a mere seven days before the 2014 NFL draft gets underway. Before it's too late, however, I thought it was worth browsing through the extensive set of next-level analysis available through ESPN Stats & Information to corroborate, challenge and/or amplify the existing narratives.

Interesting stuff.

Counters narrative: Despite his build, Bortles was one of the best scramblers in this group. When you separate designed runs from scrambles, you find that Bortles averaged 9.0 yards every time he ran on a called passing play -- the second-highest total in this group.
Analysis: What jumps out the most about Bortles' season is that there are no obvious dips when comparing his play inside and outside the pocket or when he faced pressure. In fact, his completion percentage of 50.7 when under pressure was the fourth-best among all college quarterbacks last season.

Gun to my head I'm with ya TCPO. He's easily the most promising to my eye... but there's nary a firearm in sight.

So can't go there at #4...

Archived