THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Ten at Need Positions

The Gipper

In the next few posts I will be listing who the Top Ten players that are available at each of the positions of need for the Browns in this draft. I see those positions as: QB, WR, OG, ILB, CB. I will state in which round each player is projected to go.

Start where things start: at the QB position:

1. Blake Bortles UCF round 1

2. John Manziel Tex. A&M round 1

3. Teddy Twatwater, Louisville round 1

4. Derek Carr, Fresno St. round 1-2

5. Tom Savage, Pitt, round 2

6. Jimmy Garropolo, E. Illinois round 2

7. Zack Mettenberger, LSU round 3-4

8. AJ McCarron Alabama round 4

9. Aaron Murray, Georgia round 4

10. Logan Thomas Va. Tech round 5-6

11. David Fales San Jose St. round 6

12. Keith Wenning Ball St. round 6-7

13. Brett Smith, Wyoming round 7

14. Connor Shaw South Carolina round 7

I did a few extra for this positon. As I see it, the Browns need to take on of those top 6 guys with either their 4/26/35 pick or forget about it.

Wide Receivers:

1. Sammy Watkins Clemson round 1

2. Mike Evans Tex. A&M round 1

3. Odell Beckham LSU round 1

4. Brandin Cooks Oregon St. round 1

5. Marquise Lee USC round 1-2

6. Allen Brown Penn St. round 1-2

7. Donte Moncrief Ole Miss round 1-2

8. Jordan Matthews Vandy round 2

9. Cody Lattimer Indiana round 2

10. Martavias Bryant Clemson round 2

As I see it, if the Browns don't get Watkins at #4, they still have good options availabe with their 26 and 35 pick.

Offensive Guard:

1. Zack Martin Notre Dame round 1

2. Xavier Sua-Filo UCLA round 1-2

3. Joel Boitanio Nevada round 2

4. Gabe Jackson Miss. St. round 2-3

5. Dakota Dozier Furman round 2-3

6. Trai Twine LSU round 3-4

7. Cyril Richardson Baylor round 3-4

8. David Yankey, Stanford round 4-5

9. Brandon Thomas Clemson round 4-5

10. Charles Leno Boise St.

The head scratcher here is how far David Yankey dropped on this board. All along I have seen him listed as the #1 OG....a mid to late first rounder. How can this evaluation have dropped him to a 4th/5th rounder. Personally, I would be ecstatic if the Browns got him in the 4th round....a guy that was considered first round talent.

The Browns may wait till their 3rd round then to get an OG...unless they decide to take one of the big OTs early and try to convert The Schwartz, though that is not a plan I am in favor of particularly.

Cornerback

1.Justin Gilbert Okla. St. round 1

2. Darqueze Dennard Mich. St. round 1

3. Kyle Fuller Va. Tech. round 1

4. Jason Verrett TCU rounds 1-2

5. Bradley Roby Ohio St. rounds 1-2

6. Lamarcus Joyner FSU round 2

7. Pillip Gaines Rice round 2

8. Keith McGill Utah round 2

9. Pierre Desir Linenwood round 2-3

10. Stanley Jean-Baptiste Nebraska round 2-3

I would certainly not think this would be a position for our #4 pick...but for #26 and 35 and into the top of the third round I definitely see the Browns taking on of these CBs

In the next few posts I will be listing who the Top Ten players that are available at each of the positions of need for the Browns in this draft. I see those positions as: QB, WR, OG, ILB, CB. I will state in which round each player is projected to go.

Start where things start: at the QB position:

1. Blake Bortles UCF round 1

2. John Manziel Tex. A&M round 1

3. Teddy Twatwater, Louisville round 1

4. Derek Carr, Fresno St. round 1-2

5. Tom Savage, Pitt, round 2

6. Jimmy Garropolo, E. Illinois round 2

7. Zack Mettenberger, LSU round 3-4

8. AJ McCarron Alabama round 4

9. Aaron Murray, Georgia round 4

10. Logan Thomas Va. Tech round 5-6

11. David Fales San Jose St. round 6

12. Keith Wenning Ball St. round 6-7

13. Brett Smith, Wyoming round 7

14. Connor Shaw South Carolina round 7

I did a few extra for this positon. As I see it, the Browns need to take on of those top 6 guys with either their 4/26/35 pick or forget about it.

Forget about it as in draft no QB. I think we are going to take at least one QB between rounds 1-5 during the draft.

Inside LB

1. CJ Mosley Alabama round 1

2. Chris Borland Wisconsin round 2-3

3. Shayne Skov Stanford round 3-4

4. Christian Jones FSU round 4

5. Preston Brown Louisville round 4-5

6. Max Bullough Mich. St. round 5

7. Lamin Barrow LSU round 5-6

8. Yawin Smallwood UConn round 5-6

9. Avery Williams Kentucky round 6

10 Brock Croyle Montana round 6-7

I should note here that my source, CBS sports list both Khalil Mack and Ryan Shazier as OLBs. but it is highly possible in the case of Mack, and highly probably in the case of Shazier that they would play on the inside.

As you can see, there seems to be only one ILB that is first round worthy on this list...Mosley...then a big dropoff.

I personally think getting Borland, Skov, Bullough here where they are projected would be sweet. But I could see the Browns taking Mack at #4 if he is there, or Shazier at either 26 or 35 if he is still on the board.

I think Mosley at #4 is way too high...and I think he will be off the board at #26.

Forget about it as in draft no QB. I think we are going to take at least one QB between rounds 1-5 during the draft.

No, I agree....I am only saying that if they don't take a QB at 4/26/35....then anyone they take later will be just a risk pick. That they would never expect them to eventually become a prime starter. A Tom Brady coming around low in the draft only happens once a generation

I don't understand the Yankee fall either. Who has Yankee listed that low? Mayock has him as his number 2 guard (not including the G/OT guys like Bitonio), behind Sua Filo. In my opinion, if we don't get Sua Filo at 26 (which may be too high for a guard this year), we should be waiting until the 3rd or later for a guard. I will say, though, that I like the idea of adding Bitonio. Good size, quick feet; would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Tweener size, but our scheme will be made for a smaller faster types than the large and slow.

No, I agree....I am only saying that if they don't take a QB at 4/26/35....then anyone they take later will be just a risk pick. That they would never expect them to eventually become a prime starter. A Tom Brady coming around low in the draft only happens once a generation

I agree on that point, but I also think that every QB in this draft is a fairly big risk pick.

I don't understand the Yankee fall either. Who has Yankee listed that low? Mayock has him as his number 2 guard (not including the G/OT guys like Bitonio), behind Sua Filo. In my opinion, if we don't get Sua Filo at 26 (which may be too high for a guard this year), we should be waiting until the 3rd or later for a guard. I will say, though, that I like the idea of adding Bitonio. Good size, quick feet; would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Tweener size, but our scheme will be made for a smaller faster types than the large and slow.

CBS Sports which is where I took these rankings from. Previously it was they who had Yankey listed so high.

Though we have kind of fillled out need at RB, I am going to list these anyway, because I think the Browns may still be in the market:

1. Carlos Hyde Ohio St. round 2

2. Bishop Sankey Washington (via Wadsworth Oh.) round 2

3 Tre Mason Auburn round 2

4. Jeremy Hill LSU round 2-3

5. Andre Williams Boston College round 3

6. Terence West Towson St. round 3

7. Kadeem Carey Arizona round 3-4

8. Lache Seastrunk Baylor round 3-4

9. Charles Sims W. Va. round 3-4

10. Devonta Freeman FSU round 4

If the Browns do make a move on a RB, it won't be before round 3. I think that will take them out of the Hyde/Sanky running....unless RBs really do go undervalued and start falling.

I could see the Browns taking a couple UDFA.

One possible: James Wilder Jr.

Archived