THE BROWNS BOARD

Mini Camp notes & impressions

JAFBF

A little break from all the Mock Drafts, and some insight into what Pettine is going to be like.

Donte Whitner: Voluntary camp the most intense he's ever seen.

. . .

Although it’s only April, the focus is real in Berea. Coach Mike Pettine is running the most up-tempo minicamp Whitner has ever seen in his nine years as an NFL player. Running backs finish out runs all the way to the end zone, sometimes 70-yard sprints. Defensive backs pick up dropped passes and do the same dash across the field.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Donte-Whitner-says-Browns-defense-full-of-disguises/669cde85-4a36-420d-9af3-29fd58229353

Better conditioning and practice at maintaining focus +

I'm thinking we're gonna see some hard nosed, smash mouth, AFC North FOOTBALL this year in Cleveland & I LOVE it!!!

No taking plays off, that's for sure.

Mike

I'm thinking we're gonna see some hard nosed, smash mouth, AFC North FOOTBALL this year in Cleveland & I LOVE it!!!

No taking plays off, that's for sure.

Mike

Yep.

I wish I could find the clip, but it made think of the scence in Invicible (00:42:34 to 00:42:43) :

BANKS: Hey, old man.

This ain't high school!

COACH: Hey, Banks!

That old man just made you look bad.

That's the way to finish, Papale!

Another bit from the article :

Some teammates may not fully understand the increased attention on physical conditioning. Whitner does.

“In the fourth quarter when you are tired and you can’t really think well, we will be one of the best teams then,” said Whitner. “We will be well conditioned mentally and physically.”

“We run to the football. We practice getting turnovers. We practice communicating. And that’s a way a winning football team practices,” said Whitner.

If my thoughts on Pettine turn out to be reality, we're in for some good ole times ahead.

Yep.

I wish I could find the clip, but it made think of the scence in Invicible (00:42:34 to 00:42:43) :

Another bit from the article :

If my thoughts on Pettine turn out to be reality, we're in for some good ole times ahead.

Yep!...We may "yep" each other to death. LOL

I loved Pettine's statement when 1st hired that players will be evaluated, not only in games, but in practice. Years ago, when I coached soccer, I had a kid ask me who our MVP was. I told him it was the player who played their best at practice & after we were "blown out", when seemingly NOTHING was on the line. THAT'S a player with pride & passion. I still believe that & believe Pettine will hold his Team to that standard.

Mike

Yep!...We may "yep" each other to death. LOL

I loved Pettine's statement when 1st hired that players will be evaluated, not only in games, but in practice. Years ago, when I coached soccer, I had a kid ask me who our MVP was. I told him it was the player who played their best at practice & after we were "blown out", when seemingly NOTHING was on the line. THAT'S a player with pride & passion. I still believe that & believe Pettine will hold his Team to that standard.

Mike

Agreed :P

From all indications, the players are really liking him - I know Haden is thrilled to have a Defensive oriented HC (as am I).

So far my impression of Pettine is that he's a combo of Vermeil and Cowher - can't ask for much more than that.

As mentioned in another thread (QB related), he's deferring to the expertise he's hired, and they're not all "good ole boys" that he's worked with over the year.

Still need to see how he actually works a game, but there seems to be promise.

If we can get the HC position stabilized, the QB position shouldn't be too far behind.

This is a few days old, but it goes with the topic and hasn't really been covered here as we're in Draft overload mode :D

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/here-s-what-coach-mike-pettine-is-saying-about-the-browns-today-1.484420

On having to start a rookie quarterback if the Browns select one at fourth overall:

“I’ve never felt that if you draft them high you have to start them right away. I think you can make a mistake there, and I’ve been a part of both. I’ve been a part of (QB) Kyle Boller who was put in there right away [in Baltimore]. I was in Baltimore with (Ravens QB) Joe Flacco, who was third coming out of training camp, and it was only because of injury that he had to play. (Eagles QB) Mark Sanchez played right away [with the New York Jets]. (Bills QB) EJ Manuel last year – the plan was for (QB) Kevin Kolb to start, and it ended up because of injury EJ ended up as the starter. When you look at the history of the league – whether it was (Patriots QB Tom) Brady, whether it was (Packers QB) Aaron Rodgers, (Cardinals QB) Carson Palmer, even (Seahawks QB) Russell Wilson sat for a little bit, (49ers QB Colin) Kaepernick was a package player his first year – I think it’s extremely difficult to come in right out of essentially a rookie camp, some OTAs, a mandatory camp and do a training camp and all of the sudden be ready to be a starter in the NFL. I think that’s a rare guy that can handle that, and he has to have a great supporting cast in order to do it. It’s something you hope to avoid because I think you can set that player back and set your team back while we’re in the ‘win now’ business. As history has shown, I think it’s very difficult to do with a rookie quarterback.”

Some quick hits :

On Browns OL Paul McQuistan: “The reason he’s here, I think, is his versatility. I think center is the only spot that he hasn’t played, but he’s an experienced NFL lineman that’s played both guard spots and both tackle spots. I think that’s his strength is his versatility.”

On Browns WR Josh Gordon’s practice, after playing against him last season: “Yeah, we’re very glad that he’s wearing the same jersey. It’s a credit to Josh. He’s been here. He’s worked hard. He’s really gotten after it in the meeting room and on the field, as well. He’s got a lot to learn. It’s a new system, but he’s been very open to coaching, to hard coaching. I think that will show up in the fall in his play.”

Lot's more notes in the link, some may have seen already, but I don't think anything's been posted here yet.

This is from yesterday :

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/here-s-what-coach-mike-pettine-is-saying-about-browns-today-1.485024

Taylor opinion :

On if Taylor fits into his defensive system: “Yeah, Phil’s explosive. He’s got some pass rush ability, yet he’s solid enough to be at the point of attack. Absolutely, he’s a fit for us.”

A Draft note :

On if the Browns have talked with the Falcons about potentially trading first round draft picks: “I think all the teams in the top 10…I know the phones have been ringing off the hook. I just think all the teams in the top have really talked and I know they have always been a franchise that’s been, especially recently, been active as far as moving up. I can’t speak for Ray. I would guess the answer is yes, but I can confirm that because I just know there’s been a lot of calls going both directions.”

Having just signed two more QB's, this is a bit unexpected :

On if the Browns will bring in any other quarterbacks before June camp: “I would say it’s a possibility. We’ll probably hold off on thinking about anything like that until after the draft and we see how that plays out.”

On Hoyer :

On Hoyer’s most distinct traits: “You talk about the ‘it’ factor, that’s one, but I think he’s a better passer than people have given him credit for. The one thing that jumped out at me this camp was his accuracy. Having gone and worked the quarterbacks out, and then it was nice to come back here and Kyle and Dowell put the quarterbacks through the exact same drills that we did when we went out and worked the quarterbacks out. It was nice to see that, to be able to compare him to those other quarterbacks, and the one thing that really jumped out to me was how accurate he is with the football.”

Archived