THE BROWNS BOARD

OSU football recruiting: Zach Boren & Melvin Fellows

Mr. T

OSU football recruiting: Experts' rankings don't faze Boren

Linebacker looking to exceed expectations

Tressel: 'I think this is an outstanding group'

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Every day at 5 a.m. -- a brutal hour for almost anyone, let alone a teenager -- Zach Boren would arrive at Pickerington Central High School, ready for work.

He would hit the weights, then sit down with defensive coordinator Jeff Lomonico for film study.

Pumping iron and studying, all before 7?

"That's fun for me," Boren said. "It helps you on Friday nights."

It helped him earn a scholarship to Ohio State, where the freshman linebacker already is enrolled.

The 2009 recruiting class that will sign letters of intent Wednesday is strong: Rated No. 1 nationally by Scout.com and Rivals.com.

It's safe to say Boren did not contribute a lot to that high rating. He is a three-star prospect, which in the murky world of recruiting, means he is considered merely an average Division I player.

Part of that may be because his size (6 feet, 245 pounds) and speed (about a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash) might not be considered ideal. Others suggest he was a throw-in; that OSU really was after his older brother Justin, an offensive lineman who transferred from Michigan in January 2008.

"Everyone has their opinions," Zach Boren said. "That actually has fueled my fire a little bit. It's no big deal at all; I don't feel underrated."

In terms of ratings, Boren can take heart, because just about every Ohio State recruiting class in recent history has contained some three-star prospects who produce five-star results.

In 2005, cornerback Malcolm Jenkins and linebacker James Laurinaitis were given three stars. Both were All-Americans and are rated as first-round NFL draft choices in April.

The 2002 class contained a player that fits Boren's description: A fullback/linebacker who wasn't the swiftest, but whose work ethic and football intelligence served him well -- A.J. Hawk.

Nobody can say that Zach Boren will be the next Hawk, but those who know him best say that he's from that mold.

"He was the heart of our team," said Pickerington Central safety Jamie Wood, who also committed to Ohio State. "He may not be the biggest or fastest, but his heart says it all. I may be a little biased, but I don't see anyone better than him in Ohio."

Pickerington Central coach Jay Sharrett said Boren played 100 plays a game between offense, defense and special teams.

"He's a great blocker, a great tackler," Sharrett said. "He's got great instincts. He doesn't get fooled by screens and reverses."

Boren suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear in a playoff game last fall and had surgery. He will be held out of contact in spring practice but should be cleared by May.

According to Rivals.com, Boren is one of eight three-star prospects in this OSU class, joining Adam Bellamy, Reid Fragel, Kenny Guiton, Adam Homan, Sam Longo, Jonathan Newsome and John Simon.

There is not much buzz around the others, with the possible exception of Simon, a defensive tackle.

History suggests, though, that at least one of them will emerge as a surprise standout.

"Granted, he's my son, but I'm probably harder on my boys than anyone else," said Mike Boren, Zach and Justin's father and a former linebacker at Michigan. "I know the position, and Zach is relentless, he's good. He's a playmaker. Let's just say Ohio State people are going to be pleasantly surprised."

kgordon

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...CR.html?sid=101

On(2-4-2009)it has been1901 Days since Michigan’s last victory over Ohio State in football:

Something To be proud of!!!! Soon the Brownies will be able to brag!!!!

I am waiting for a wide reciever..... Chris Carter's son...... O yes, a taller version of his father!! We cant land a top qb right now because we have Pryor who in all likelyhood will be with us for at least 2 if not 3 more years.

We need faster olinemen and defensive lineman......

Archived