THE BROWNS BOARD

My pick at 4 - Jake Matthews

LondonBrown

He is much further along in his progression than Robinson who at present is just an athletic prospect, albeit a very good one . He's NFL ready and can play anywhere along the line. Last year Jake would have been the number one pick and it wouldn't have even been up for debate.

This is not a good QB class at all and NONE of them are good enough to be drafted in the first round let alone @ 4. They all have too many questions to answer. Flimsy Manziel who refuses to throw to open receivers? Flimsy Teddy who's deep ball loses all flight? Bortles is probably the best of a bad bunch but he's not even a good thrower. And most importantly of all none of them are ready to start now.

The WR class is so deep that even if Sammy gets past STL or JAX (he won't) we should sit tight and get one at 26, my preference is a big guy like Benjamin if he lasts. We have our #1 in Josh, why take a WR at 4 in the deepest class for many years?

Go with Hoyer and draft an NFL ready guy that can play anywhere along the O line. With him and Thomas protecting and Gordon, Cameron, Hawkins and a #2 at 26 to throw too, Tate in the backfield, Hoyer WILL win plenty of NFL matches.

3-0 as starter last year, he deserves a chance.

Behind a solid line that can pass protect and run block, with Gordon, Cameron, Watkins and someone like Beckham, Benjamin or whoever as a solid No2 receiver, and with Tate and Lewis to hand off to, Hoyer can probably do as well as Andy Dalton at the very least.

Too many on here want us to rely on a QB. Seattle and SF are run based offenses with good defenses. We couldn't run the ball and OL was a big factor in that.

If you rely on your QB with an average team and he doesn't perform you lose, we need to build a good TEAM.

I'd settle for it, certainly. But then we might end up in the same situation as Cincy, hamstrung by having a QB that's just good enough to get them to the playoffs, but bad enough that they won't win. Picking so low in the draft they don't have a chance to get their franchise QB without selling the farm, the house, the car and the dog. You can only do that when you see the next Andrew Luck prospect, and if he comes around, chances are the team picking at #1 needs a QB and won't be trading down. Or, you hope that one of your later round guys is more Brady/Wilson than Dalton/McCoy.

But yes, I won't be upset if they add 3 starters that aren't QB with the first three picks.

well kyle shanahan, although not his father, believes in running the football with Rbs he either drafts late or picks off the street and has turned those backs (like his father) into annual 1,000 yard rushers. with the line as it stands, that ain't going to happen. it hasn't in cleveland in a while since our last couple of OCs were all over the place and when we committed to run in a game plan......came up short, literally.

shanahan likes big guys that can move and i think we'll be looking to add a guard early in the draft although i doubt it will be @4.

Yep. Just what we need. An offensive lineman. That will get us there...

At least you are consistent with your opinion of an O lineman. I do not understand why you think it wouldnt improve the team. We still have one and potentially even two more 1st round picks to hit a QB and receiver. Assuming Watkins is gone at 4 who are you taking? Are you really prepared to believe that one of the QBs is worthy of the number 4 pick?

So are you in the 'draft position players not a QB high' camp?

as it stands i'm leaving it to the FO of the browns to do the right thing. there are too many questions about the QBs that even the most experienced draft gurus don't want to firmly commit to one guy or another. if mack, clowney and watkins are gone then you'd think the FO would have to commit to a QB, an OL or maybe reach a couple of spots high on evans or even a CB, that is if they can't find a dance partner to trade down with.

we all know the positions that we need to fill, it's just where in the draft the FO figures out to do so.

i know everyone will lambast me but i'm fine with hoyer and some backups this year and then take a long hard look at hundley next year.

He is much further along in his progression than Robinson who at present is just an athletic prospect, albeit a very good one . He's NFL ready and can play anywhere along the line. Last year Jake would have been the number one pick and it wouldn't have even been up for debate.

This is not a good QB class at all and NONE of them are good enough to be drafted in the first round let alone @ 4. They all have too many questions to answer. Flimsy Manziel who refuses to throw to open receivers? Flimsy Teddy who's deep ball loses all flight? Bortles is probably the best of a bad bunch but he's not even a good thrower. And most importantly of all none of them are ready to start now.

The WR class is so deep that even if Sammy gets past STL or JAX (he won't) we should sit tight and get one at 26, my preference is a big guy like Benjamin if he lasts. We have our #1 in Josh, why take a WR at 4 in the deepest class for many years?

Go with Hoyer and draft an NFL ready guy that can play anywhere along the O line. With him and Thomas protecting and Gordon, Cameron, Hawkins and a #2 at 26 to throw too, Tate in the backfield, Hoyer WILL win plenty of NFL matches.

Yes! yes! yes!

There's a 'good' foundation here, we don't need to get IT ALL DONE IN ONE YEAR!

Continue to BUILD and maybe in 2-3 years we have a solid team to win the 'division'. -- Baby steps.

At least you are consistent with your opinion of an O lineman. I do not understand why you think it wouldnt improve the team. We still have one and potentially even two more 1st round picks to hit a QB and receiver. Assuming Watkins is gone at 4 who are you taking? Are you really prepared to believe that one of the QBs is worthy of the number 4 pick?

The game is won in the trenches.

Only a casual fan don't understand that. You can NEVER have enough top flight OLine in this league. The more the merrier.

You always have a pretty good chance of getting a solid NFL player if you take a Matthews. I mean, the bloodlines practically demand it.

Grandfather, NFL player

Father HOF player

Uncle: near HOF player

Cousin: considered best LB in game by many

Only question: what is Casey Matthews doing? Is he still playing?

I think Matthews is the best of the bunch but I don't want OT at #4. I hope to god someone they have ranked higher than a OT falls. I hope somehow Mack falls to us or Watkins falls and he is secretly rated higher. Or that we can trade down so we don't have to take an OT.

The only thing I am sure of is that The Browns are going to get the best value they can. If there top rated guy is an OT, they are going to grab him.

I think the Browns will pick an immediate impact player.

That could be Sammy Watkins, or Khalil Mack.

Or, it could be a trade down to say, ten...

and pick one of the top two corners, or wr's.

No qb at 4. Just don't see it. And I would love for Mathews to

be a Cleveland Brown, but that wouldn't have the same impact.

It needs to be a player that the rest of the division says "Oh, crap,

the Browns are going to be a far more serious kickass deal now."

I think the Browns will pick an immediate impact player.

That could be Sammy Watkins, or Khalil Mack.

Or, it could be a trade down to say, ten...

and pick one of the top two corners, or wr's.

No qb at 4. Just don't see it. And I would love for Mathews to

be a Cleveland Brown, but that wouldn't have the same impact.

I think you are right with Mack. I think they grab him if he falls to 4 and they can't trade down. But at this point I think trading down is what they are going to try and do. They want an impact play at a position with more need but they are not going to reach to grab that player. If Robinson/Matthews are the top rated guys and they can't move down from 4 they will take one or the other and have them playing RG or RT.

Our O-line can be fixed with a 3rd round pick at RG... why waste #4 overall

Our ILB situation can be fixed with a 3rd or 4th round pick... why waste #4 overall

There are no QBs worthy of a #4 pick, we can get one late-first early second

There are no CBs worthy of a #4 pick, we can get one late-first through the 3rd round

Our #2 WR situation can be fixed in the late-first or the second round

Shanahan makes late-pick RBs into studs, so no need to draft one high

FS is up in the air, and there are definetly no stud FSs in this draft

So, WHO the FU** are we supposed to draft?

Option 1 - Trade Down

Option 2 - Probably WR - Watkins and Evans seem elite

Option 3 - Reach on a QB - Bortles

Option 4 - BPA - regardless of position

This is killing me...

Our ILB situation can be fixed with a 3rd or 4th round pick... why waste #4 overall

There are no CBs worthy of a #4 pick, we can get one late-first through the 3rd round

Option 1 - Trade Down

This is killing me...

I think there are only two options and you named them both.

1. Trade down

2. Draft best player available regardless of position.

Option 1 - Trade Down

This is killing me...

I think you nailed the dilemna of the Browns and most the rest of the teams in the top 6. Bummer is we wont all be able to get trade downs but yea its option 1 or 4.

Matthews @ 4

Su'a Filo@ 26

Hyde @ 35

Tate and Hyde behind the baddest Mother effing line in the land!!!! RUN THE ROCK BABY! :D

Matthews @ 4

Su'a Filo@ 26

Hyde @ 35

Tate and Hyde behind the baddest Mother effing line in the land!!!! RUN THE ROCK BABY! :D

That would be great, if this were 1976. Unfortunately, the game doesn't revolve around the run anymore.

(Mathews) is much further along in his progression than Robinson who at present is just an athletic prospect, albeit a very good one . He's NFL ready and can play anywhere along the line. Last year Jake would have been the number one pick and it wouldn't have even been up for debate.

As you may have noted in the Mayock Mock thread, he passed over Sammy Watkins to take Jake as well to fill out RT need.

And then took Bridgewater at #26... so you only agree to a point.

Archived