THE BROWNS BOARD

war on drugs

So I was just listening to a couple folks discussing the legalization of drugs. In specific saving the money that we spend prosecuting and putting that money into treatment.

I think that's a ridiculous statement only for this reason... I do not believe that most people to take drugs are addicted nor do they care to stop. Probably no pot smoker nor recrational drug of any kind user. So with absolutely no desire for treatment what's the point? And even if there was a desire I think the record shows drug treatment is ineffective in over 90% of the cases if I recall correctly. Alcohol for instance. What's take all the money from DUI busts and put it toward treatment. I bet there's not one in 30 drunk drivers that are alcoholics and probably not 1 in a hundred of the ones that are who want, or could be helped by, treatment.

WSS

That is a very defeatist attitude. You don't think anyone is negatively affected by drugs wants treatment?

I think we should legalize weed, for sure. There seems to be a lot of money wasted there by our govt. Plus, there is money to be made by our govt there too

The biological mechanisms of addiction are pretty well characterized and those mechanisms certainly provide a motivation for not wanting to stop. So I am not sure the claim that most people are not addicted and do not care to stop is accurate.

If current treatments are ineffective, I would rather see new treatments developed than abandon treatment altogether.

You misunderstand. Sure addiction exists. Cigarettes weed crack sugar caffeine to some extent. What I am saying is it I would imagine that 99% of people who smoke marijuana regularly do so because they like it and do not believe they are addicted and need treatment.

I would venture the same opinion about people who drink 3 or 4 times a week which would be considered, buy some stringent set of criteria, to be alcoholics.

Oh you could make a case for crackheads or junkies, but even in those situations treatment doesn't seem all bad effective.

WSS

I think we have a false image of drug treatment too. It seems like everytime anybody is busted for anything illegal they claim addiction and the defense attorney makes a deal to opt for treatment rather than jail time. I would bet, not that I'm positive, that the vast majority are not addicted and looking for a way out of prison.

WSS

I'm not sure what the % is for treatment failures, but I would guess it is way over 50%. Treatment works BEST when the addict wants help, and it still fails a lot then too. Forcing someone into treatment isn't going to work most of the time.

It almost looks like he went form a white man to a black man. Damn that weed is the BOMB!!!!!!!

Archived