THE BROWNS BOARD

Leigh Bodden

WPB Dawg Fan

Guest ATENEARS

And guess who picked up Ty Law after we sat complacent with no depth for much too long?

That's right, Mangini and the NY Jets.

(Note: Ty Law turns 35 yrs old next Tuesday)

Guest Masters
And guess who picked up Ty Law after we sat complacent with no depth for much too long?

That's right, Mangini and the NY Jets.

(Note: Ty Law turns 35 yrs old next Tuesday)

On the other side of that coin, Ty Law didn't do squat while with the Jets.

If this was last year's office. He would be back in a heartbeat (at a good price). Sadly, he has no one vouching for him here anymore. I still think he can play. He'd be a nice plug that would could let slide come draft time. Since we do have holes at OL, RB, LB, WR, and DL

Keep in mind Kokinis is from within the AFC North...so his teams have played Bodden 6x in the past 4yrs...and also keep in mind he was in charge of FA's ...so it was his job to keep tabs on guys like Bodden as they approached FA. He may have more info on him than we give him credit for.

Is this really a thread about signing a slot CB that is about to get cut from a 0-16 team?

We have three good corners ... so unless someone has a great one ... you can always find a fourth guy.

Zombo

OUCH!!!

Bodden says release decision was mutual

Leigh Bodden - DB - DET - Feb. 6 - 9:07 am et

Leigh Bodden says his forthcoming release was a "mutual decision" between him and the Lions.

"It was just a mutual decision," he said. "From the beginning when I was in Detroit, it just didn't seem like it fit and I think everybody around there knew it." It's never a good fit when you're on the worst team in NFL history. Feb. 6 - 9:07 am et

Again...I see Bodden's struggles in Detroit as a case of square peg in round hole.

Is this really a thread about signing a slot CB that is about to get cut from a 0-16 team?

We have three good corners ... so unless someone has a great one ... you can always find a fourth guy.

Zombo

Besides..who exactly is our #3?

Holley? He is coming off an injury and is a FA.

Adams? He is a safety and is a FA

Cousins? Really?

Who is this mythical depth we have?

ahh but the point is he could be that 4th guy you can "always find", he's likely to come cheap, and as we saw he has some talent.

and as for your "you can always find a 4th guy", I have two words for you Terry Cousins.....

Good point. If he's willing to take fourth guy money, which I doubt he is.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Bodden. Even when he was getting arrested at the airport. His pick of Carson Palmer preserved one of our great wins in the new era in the barnburner in 07. And ... when healthy ... he can cover OK.

As for Cousins, and Ralph Brown before him ... seems the slot corner always gets no respect, Kinda like people always want the backup QB, they always hate that third corner, especially if he was a fourth. There's a reason he's a fourth. There are at least 96 better cornerbacks out there.

Gerald Lawson looked real interesting to me as a guy we can develop for that fourth corner. And maybe Travis Daniels. I don't think I'd bump Lawson off the roster right now for a hand-me-down vet.

Zombo

Besides..who exactly is our #3?

Holley? He is coming off an injury and is a FA.

Adams? He is a safety and is a FA

Cousins? Really?

Who is this mythical depth we have?

Is Holly UFA? I think he'll be back.

And Lawson looked interesting.

Bodden is not better than Wright , Mcdonald or Holly. he just isn't. Think he'll take 4th corner $?

Zombo

It is a big leap to assume Holly will be fully recovered from his injury and play at the same level he did before the injury.

Alright you guys have talked me down from Holly.

I still don't even sniff Bodden until after the draft and you see what you have with Holly (possibley) and Lawson.

If he's still hanging around in Training camp and we need a corner ... then OK. I just don't see him as a free agent signing by this club at all.

Zombo

It is a big leap to assume Holly will be fully recovered from his injury and play at the same level he did before the injury.

It is also a big leap to say that he was ever better than Bodden.

Let's not forget Bodden matched up with the other team's best game in and game out and alsoo played the slot when hurt. Bodden is a player, certainly more than just a 4th corner. This guy had six picks his last year here and had his hands on a few others.

He was also acquitted of the airport bullshit.

Guest Masters
Alright you guys have talked me down from Holly.

I still don't even sniff Bodden until after the draft and you see what you have with Holly (possibley) and Lawson.

If he's still hanging around in Training camp and we need a corner ... then OK. I just don't see him as a free agent signing by this club at all.

Zombo

I don't thiny anyone will be signing Bodden until after the draft. The question on Holly is when he can go through a full physical to evaluate him, and if CLE can even sign him if he is healthy.

I don't want to see CLE waiting until camp to get 3rd corner. That is far to late. You want and need those guys at OTA's before full camp.

I'd gladly take Bodden back, at a reasonable price.

Guest Masters
It is also a big leap to say that he was ever better than Bodden.

Let's not forget Bodden matched up with the other team's best game in and game out and alsoo played the slot when hurt. Bodden is a player, certainly more than just a 4th corner. This guy had six picks his last year here and had his hands on a few others.

He was also acquitted of the airport bullshit.

Throw in Bodden was the only one to get the check mark from Ocho-Cinco on who was able to cover him.

In '07 he had 6 INTs and 15 PDef.

Those are very good numbers. When Chad Johnson pumped him up for shutting him down...I think we all assumed he was now elite. While he was playing solid football he was never elite. Better than Holly? Absolutely.

Having a guy above six foot would be nice.

Now that I got through this thread.......I am still bewildered by all the aclaim of a secondary that in my estimation is ordinary at every position at BEST...........let me say that again ORDINARY! Our secondary scares NO ONE............notta

And if the front seven didn't suck so bad the secondary would have been exposed even more

Bodden can play.............DONE

How would a better front seven expose the secondary? If anything it would cover up a poor secondary. Remember 2001, with Jamir Miller wreaking havoc on the QB, we led the AFC in inerceptions. Rookie Anthony Henry had 10!

The secondary has some real talent back there, Wright is a good corner. McDonald is okay, and getting better. Pool is finally growing into the FS spot. Sean Jones is average, but has shown some flashes with 14 interceptions the past 3 years.

What we really need to improve is front seven help. Namely the pass rush.

How would a better front seven expose the secondary? If anything it would cover up a poor secondary. Remember 2001, with Jamir Miller wreaking havoc on the QB, we led the AFC in inerceptions. Rookie Anthony Henry had 10!

The secondary has some real talent back there, Wright is a good corner. McDonald is okay, and getting better. Pool is finally growing into the FS spot. Sean Jones is average, but has shown some flashes with 14 interceptions the past 3 years.

What we really need to improve is front seven help. Namely the pass rush.

because the opponent would have to throw the ball downfield instead of running right through us and dinking us to death..................front seven sucks ........NO NEED TO PASS much........which is what happened..........football 101..........if you stink upfront no need to take advantage of the secondary ......just ram it down the throat which is essentially what happened all year

and when that did not work well they hammered the secondary as needed

sign him to a one or two incentive ladden deal one that allows him to prove that he is as good as he thinks he is , and one that makes him prove he is not as injury prone as he was before. one that is not to expensive unless he earns that extra pay.

don't overpay him but don't disrespect him either.

Archived