THE BROWNS BOARD

Vince Young, 4 others released

LondonBrown

Interestingly, we just cut our two tallest QBs.

No one left taller than Hoyer at 6'2.

So we've got four guys with similar build and good to great mobility.

I guess Shanny has a type.

Going to be a fun camp with Hoyer v Manziel for #1 and Thigpen v Shaw for #3

Zombo

Wow Buckeye I sure hope you're wrong. He may have played for our past rival at UT, but I would certainly hope no one would use him this way. He's just coming out of bankruptcy proceedings.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/bankruptcy-cleared-vince-young-focuses-nfl-comeback-212602614--nfl.html

PS-with his size and speed he should have considered retooling as a TE, not just be set on QB.

Sanford should get a look from other teams. He put in some solid work last year.

I am convinced that the QB depth chart has already been decided with 1 - Manziel, 2 - Hoyer and 3 - Shaw.

There is no way that Manziel being on the bench with season tickets and jersey sales going like they have been. I know it isn't necessarily the 'smart' thing to do, but that isn't always what seems to happen.

Yea, releasing VY is a head scratcher after just getting him. Hell, if they just wanted something to use for practice why didn't they just use one of those Jugs gun or whatever it is that throws footballs out from a couple of tires.

Or, maybe they really took a look at him and said: "This guy's got nothing left....at all".

Hello Arena League?

Sanford should get a look from other teams. He put in some solid work last year.

I am convinced that the QB depth chart has already been decided with 1 - Manziel, 2 - Hoyer and 3 - Shaw.

There is no way that Manziel being on the bench with season tickets and jersey sales going like they have been. I know it isn't necessarily the 'smart' thing to do, but that isn't always what seems to happen.

i like the way haslam came out and said manziel is not the starter. brian hoyer is the starter.....GOING INTO TRAINING CAMP.

going into training camp?? god knows things never change in training camp.

i hope hoyer has a thick skin cuz there's a big monster getting ready to gnaw through it.

Wow Buckeye I sure hope you're wrong. He may have played for our past rival at UT, but I would certainly hope no one would use him this way. He's just coming out of bankruptcy proceedings.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/bankruptcy-cleared-vince-young-focuses-nfl-comeback-212602614--nfl.html

PS-with his size and speed he should have considered retooling as a TE, not just be set on QB.

it's a professional business, smokescreens happen. impossible to look at it like VY got used...practice squad players crack 6 figures, don't think having Young in for a few weeks didn't line his pocket enough to pay off his light bill. work is work, even if it's temporary. plus he got a chance to audition for a team and show his wares. any activity is a positive. it's just what you do.

but i don't think it was a smokescreen...i think Shanny just wanted a look. who wouldn't? it's Vince Young.

next to Vick, Young is a pretty damn accomplished running QB.

thinking anyone can just step in and be an NFL TE is wishful thinking. a CFL QB is more realistic.

Ha, I knew it. I knew Young wouldn't last long. Tanney can't hold a candle to the others, sorry but it's true.

ManZiel or bust from here on out. Hoyer, love ya and be ready cause we might need you any given play the way that maniac plays the game.

Why did they sign him (Young) in the first place? Anyone know?

I thought they signed him to have a body in the 3 day workout. How can they run a workout with only 1 healthy QB? Hoyer barely did anything so it was Tanny until Young and Thigpen were signed

I don't think you can just change a 31 year old QB to TE.

Yea, releasing VY is a head scratcher after just getting him. Hell, if they just wanted something to use for practice why didn't they just use one of those Jugs gun or whatever it is that throws footballs out from a couple of tires.

Or, maybe they really took a look at him and said: "This guy's got nothing left....at all".

Hello Arena League?

Because you can't suit up a juggs machine on Sundays. There was a chance, albeit slight, that Young still had something in the tanks. Bringing him in for pennies on the dollar to throw during a minicamp is a no-lose situation.

He just didn't have it.

Releasing him now gives him a chance to get on with a team that maybe didn't solve their QB woes as much as they'd hoped.

Interestingly, we just cut our two tallest QBs.

No one left taller than Hoyer at 6'2.

So we've got four guys with similar build and good to great mobility.

I guess Shanny has a type.

Going to be a fun camp with Hoyer v Manziel for #1 and Thigpen v Shaw for #3

Zombo

They were nothing more than arms for the mini camp last week.

He may have played for our past rival at UT...

Don't you mean "tu"?

Wish Vince well, but never saw him fitting here...

Ditto for "trick-shot"...

Because you can't suit up a juggs machine on Sundays. There was a chance, albeit slight, that Young still had something in the tanks. Bringing him in for pennies on the dollar to throw during a minicamp is a no-lose situation.

He just didn't have it.

Releasing him now gives him a chance to get on with a team that maybe didn't solve their QB woes as much as they'd hoped.

They don't play against other teams in minicamp, do they? Do they scrimmage?

it's a professional business, smokescreens happen. impossible to look at it like VY got used...practice squad players crack 6 figures, don't think having Young in for a few weeks didn't line his pocket enough to pay off his light bill. work is work, even if it's temporary.

Last I checked, guys like VY got zero money for being signed for a couple of weeks in the off-season.

Yes, you are correct that Practice Squad guys crack 6 figures,

and everybody gets paid for the entire year if they are on the roster for opening day.

For example:

Bruce Gradkowski was signed as an emergency measure by the Browns on December 2, 2008.

He started one game.

The score was CLE 0 PIT 31.

He was released 69 days later, on February 9, 2009.

He got paid for the whole season under the union contract at that time, and I don't think that was changed in the new CBA.

So, if yur a guy like Vince Young, who is not going to get any signing-bonus or guaranteed money, then the Browns liability is zero.

Maybe they sent a car to pick him up at the airport and gave him a 3-day stay at the Berea Econo Lodge, but that's about it.

Archived