THE BROWNS BOARD

Jordan Cameron News

cvcanedy

I hope we can work out a reasonable deal.

Per NFL.com

The Cleveland Browns' rollercoaster offseason ramped up with another headline Tuesday when they signed cornerback Joe Haden to a big long-term extension. The next player on the docket: tight end Jordan Cameron.

Just weeks after a report surfaced that Cameron and the Browns were getting nowhere in contract talks, Cameron has changed agents. The Akron Beacon-Journal notes that Cameron fired his previous agent last week and has hired CAA, who represented Browns center Alex Mack in his rocky talks with the Browns.

This figures to be a complicated contract to work out. The Browns likely want to see if Cameron can back up his breakout season under new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Cameron, meanwhile, might find it hard to get an offer he wants because the Browns know they have the franchise tag in their back pocket.

The franchise number for tight ends this season was around $7 million, which sounds like a fine backup plan for Cleveland if they can't come to a deal. With Josh Gordon's future in doubt and a shaky-looking wide receiver crop, Cameron will have every chance to improve on his 917-yard 2014 campaign

I really hope we sign him, but it's good to know we've got him for at least two more seasons if we franchsise him.

So we've got Mack for two more years, Taylor for two more years, haden now locked down for five ... who else was due next year, Sheard? would seem obvious to use the franchise on Cameron if it comes down to it.

Then there is the whole Gordon thing ... to messy to figure what happens there right now.

Zombo

I'd be very reluctant to give Cameron a big contract based on one year's production. Not saying he won't do it again, but maybe let's wait until next offseason to do it, with the franchise tag as a backup if nothing can be agreed?

So? Cameron has now signed up with Mack's agent. That would be Marvin Demoff.

FYI, it is my belief that this is a guy who will want to fuck with the Browns because recall that he made a very public announcement that "I can craft a deal for Alex Mack that the Browns cannot match". Well, once that deal was "crafted", it took the Browns about a nanosecond to match it......putting egg on Marvin Demoff's face. So, IMO, he will approach any further dealings with the Browns as a poutly little teenage bitch who didn't get her way.

His production seemed to drop off once later in the year too, doesn't deserve a big deal yet

I tend to agree. I'd like to see us lock him up, but not at Jimmy Graham like numbers.

FYI, it is my belief that this is a guy who will want to fuck with the Browns because recall that he made a very public announcement that "I can craft a deal for Alex Mack that the Browns cannot match". Well, once that deal was "crafted", it took the Browns about a nanosecond to match it......putting egg on Marvin Demoff's face. So, IMO, he will approach any further dealings with the Browns as a poutly little teenage bitch who didn't get her way.

That was my first thought, too.

God I would hate to Franchise tag him.. No surer way to piss a player off, but if he thinks he is getting elite TE money, he better be prepared to make 7mil a year(if the above post is true), because there is no way we are letting him walk away this year, not with the issues we have.

Again, this shows the savvy of our front office that they didn't waste the Franchise tag on Mack.. I am not sure where the Mack deal fell in regards to the Josh Gordon issues.. Could it be they held the Tag in the back pocket for just such a reason..

Looking at Google news stories, the Mack deal happened in early April, so it is safe to say they already knew about the potential issues with Gordon..

So they suck it up and pay Mack whatever it takes to make sure they can lock up Cameron should the need arise....

BOBPound!

I'd be very reluctant to give Cameron a big contract based on one year's production. Not saying he won't do it again, but maybe let's wait until next offseason to do it, with the franchise tag as a backup if nothing can be agreed?

Yes... we've been down that path before. DA immediately springs to mind.

So we've got Mack for two more years, Taylor for two more years, haden now locked down for five ... who else was due next year, Sheard?

Yes, Sheard ... was a topic on NFL Live yesterday in conjunction with the Haden deal.

And as an aside: This ("Well, welcome to the Browns Board, Bitch. Zombo") in the closed-while-I-was-typing-a-response TB thread was absolutely priceless.

Yes... we've been down that path before. DA immediately springs to mind.

Yes, Sheard ... was a topic on NFL Live yesterday in conjunction with the Haden deal.

And as an aside: This ("Well, welcome to the Browns Board, Bitch. Zombo") in the closed-while-I-was-typing-a-response TB thread was absolutely priceless.

LOL, I may open it back up now if Dickbag is gone. I enjoy the occasional troll ... but they should have an age limit of 18 and an IQ limit of 70 ... I don't think he qualified for either.

Z

His production seemed to drop off once later in the year too, doesn't deserve a big deal yet

1st 4 games - 30 catches, 360 yds, 5 TDs (1st two games, no Gordon in the lineup, 14 catches 203 yds)

2nd 4 games - 19 catches, 236 yds, 1 TD

3rd 4 games - 14 catches, 108 yds, 0 TDs

Last 3 games - 17 catches, 213 yds, 1 TD (didn't play week 16 @ NYJ)

"seemed to drop off" but did it really? Could probably blame a lot of it on spotty QB play, but he was pretty consistent if you ask me. His worst game came against Baltimore (1 catch, 4 yds), but that was the one day Greg Little decided to dominate the game.

I'd still be leary to give him a big extension until after this season. See how well he plays, and if he can stay healthy, during a contract season...

"seemed to drop off" but did it really? Could probably blame a lot of it on spotty QB play, but he was pretty consistent if you ask me. His worst game came against Baltimore (1 catch, 4 yds), but that was the one day Greg Little decided to dominate the game.

I think there was a "drop off"... from spectacular to damn good...

I also think it's fair to assume that Cam was not a focal point in our oppositions' Defensive game-plan at season's start...

1st 4 games - 30 catches, 360 yds, 5 TDs (1st two games, no Gordon in the lineup, 14 catches 203 yds)

2nd 4 games - 19 catches, 236 yds, 1 TD

3rd 4 games - 14 catches, 108 yds, 0 TDs

Last 3 games - 17 catches, 213 yds, 1 TD (didn't play week 16 @ NYJ)

I'd still be leary to give him a big extension until after this season. See how well he plays, and if he can stay healthy, during a contract season...

That 3.5 rec 27 yard 0 TD average in the 3rd quarter of the season was pretty rough.

I only "like" Cameron's potential, ("like..." not "love,") because I'm growing a liiiiiiittle bit weary of watching this gargantuan pulling his arms in as the pass is coming to him or ducking to the ground once he catches it, just because he hears the footsteps of a defender that is six inches shorter than him and weighs a good deal less.

I am not sold on this guy, at all, because he's soft. He's too soft to be truly effective and a difference maker at the NFL level.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd like to see the Browns make a play for TE/WR Jimmy Graham, if the Saints keep fucking around with him.

I only "like" Cameron's potential, ("like..." not "love,") because I'm growing a liiiiiiittle bit weary of watching this gargantuan pulling his arms in as the pass is coming to him or ducking to the ground once he catches it, just because he hears the footsteps of a defender that is six inches shorter than him and weighs a good deal less.

I am not sold on this guy, at all, because he's soft. He's too soft to be truly effective and a difference maker at the NFL level.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd like to see the Browns make a play for TE/WR Jimmy Graham, if the Saints keep fucking around with him.

Grahm isn't worth 2 1st round picks.

I think we share the same concern. I was surprised when I heard he signed on with Mack's agent. That guy's grand-standing tactics didn't exactly help Mack. We'll see what happens, but I think Cameron could have made a better choice. Keep in mind too that Cameron doesn't have Mack's track record of performance & durability. I like Cameron, but he's not yet established among the elite at his position.

Mike

Grahm isn't worth 2 1st round picks.

Since we'd be giving up our Cleveland 1st round pick in 2015, and would still retain our Buffalo's 1st and 4th, (which will probably be better than ours and likely Top 10,) in essence, we'd only be spending our 1st round pick in 2016.

Is Jimmy Graham worth our 2016 first round pick? That is the question...

57020ba4-f1b1-4efa-bae8-5769047ffc05_zps

Archived