THE BROWNS BOARD

Skip Bayless piece

Westside Steve

Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.

The good news is that it isn't new to him. He was already "Johnny Football" (or JFF) back in high school when he was something of a local/state legend.

He has been on Sportscenter seemingly every night since he took his first snap at A&M, both during the season and the off season... you could make an argument that he has drawn more media scrutiny than any college player in recent years, perhaps ever. He hasn't always handled it well, but the spotlight is more than a little familiar to him.

Anyone who knows me knows that the media has ZERO credibility with me. Even with all the garbage they have written/stated before that has proven to be wrong, folks continue to post as fact what they speculate & exaggerate.

I'm a huge Johnny Fan & a huge Farmer/Pettine Fan, so I'm waiting to see what actually happens & I will continue to support the Browns & the Browns Players.

Mike

No, Manziel is a backup until he learns the offense, NFL defenses, protections,

reads, etc etc

And he's actually a starter-in-waiting. But there isn't any reason to force him

in there, unless you lose Hoyer again to injury. If it weren't for how well Hoyer can play,

Manziel starting would be a given, but a pretty tall order.

I'm a big fan of all three qbs. Give Manziel some time already. But I've come around to

figuring that he'll excel when he gets his chance.

Actually risked the super cookie to have a look at this...

It was a good read and, at the risk of being punny, sobering.

If the Browns wanted a backup they shouldn't have drafted Manziel. He may not start from day one, but he is either going to be a huge star or a complete bust... nothing in between.

No one drafts a player in the first round with the idea that they will never be more than a back up.

While I hope there is nothing between "star or bust", my greatest JM fear is that there is a sizeable "almost" middle, and that is where he will land.

Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.

Wanted to say RG3 or Luck, but no... upon reflection, I agree, JM could be under more. Recognition of this by our FO would then be the reason for their National media ban and talk of being (and acting like) the back-up QB.

The good news is that it isn't new to him. He was already "Johnny Football" (or JFF) back in high school when he was something of a local/state legend.

He hasn't always handled it well, but the spotlight is more than a little familiar to him.

All true, but what is also true is that the stage is now bigger than any he's been on before...

my friend emailed me this last night and i'll say here what i said to him then...

skip bayless is the biggest poser on national tv. if you want a shot at sucking JF's cock you better get in line before him (hear me walter).

what an unabated faggot this dude is at every level. makes a 12 yr. old queef look like colossus. first it's tom brady, then it's tim tebow now it's johnny football.

if 'he' (bayless) feels one of his 'boys' isn't getting treated correctly he uses his position on espn's roto repeat show first take where he takes the stand for 10 mins per topic and gloms out this god-awful lathering of this guy or that guy and now it's aimed at the browns because we didn't anoint JF as KING ALMIGHTY when he blessed with his presence.

hmmmmmm. wasn't the kid falling into the 2nd round?

miktoxic-"hmmmmmm. wasn't the kid falling into the 2nd round?"

Not really. The Browns realized several teams were trying to maneuver into that #22 spot to take him. They just made a better offer. They didn't go up there just because Johnny asked them to. It makes for a good story, but no one makes that choice because a player asks. They make it to help their team win and to not let him slip away to someone else. Minn. made the same decision to beat Houston to Bridgewater before he went to them at the top of the second round.

Does anyone remember Shurmur declaring Weeden the starter the day he was drafted? It's bullshit to anoint JF the starter until he earns it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making it very clear he is the BACKUP until proven otherwise.

If the Browns wanted a backup they shouldn't have drafted Manziel. He may not start from day one, but he is either going to be a huge star or a complete bust... nothing in between.

Their is a difference between wanting a backup and telling someone with a chip on their shoulder to act like one. How does a backup with a chip on their soldier act? Like someone who wants to earn the starting job. C'mon people, read between the lines.

too many drama queens can't take the backup statement for it's true meaning.

I don't have a problem with telling the kids to get ready to be a backup. I don't think the front office thinks he is a career backup and sending any other message would be a slap in the face to Brian Hoyer.

Until he sets the world on fire in training camp or wins a game or even take a snap in the NFL I think he should be a backup. The starting job is his to take, not a present.

WSS

I don't have a problem with telling the kids to get ready to be a backup. I don't think the front office thinks he is a career backup and sending any other message would be a slap in the face to Brian Hoyer.

Until he sets the world on fire in training camp or wins a game or even take a snap in the NFL I think he should be a backup. The starting job is his to take, not a present.

WSS

Which is exactly as it should be & why I despise the media. They take everything & distort the hell out of it.

Mike

Does anyone remember Shurmur declaring Weeden the starter the day he was drafted? It's bullshit to anoint JF the starter until he earns it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making it very clear he is the BACKUP until proven otherwise.

I didn't even remember Shurmur until I read your post

Which is exactly as it should be & why I despise the media. They take everything & distort the hell out of it.

Mike

Well I guess they have to make a big commotion about something. To be honest I'm glad it's the Browns finally. I'm about sick of the Andrew Luck and rg3 hype. Time for some Cleveland Browns hype.

WSS

Well I guess they have to make a big commotion about something. To be honest I'm glad it's the Browns finally. I'm about sick of the Andrew Luck and rg3 hype. Time for some Cleveland Browns hype.

WSS

That's a good point Steve.

Mike

I have mixed feelings on how everything is being handled and i do fear that the coaching staff/gm is divided on Manziel. I dont have a problem with how the Browns are trying to slow things down a little but i dont like how they seem to be trying to embarrass him in public. The Browns owner is very vocal...i thought Jerry Jones only did stuff like that. The way everything has gone down has been messy and feels weird to me.

Please tell me how they are embarrassing him. Act like a backup?

They wouldn't have traded up in the draft if they were divided on him.

Actions speak louder than words.

Some of you newbs make me laugh. Manziel is a rookie, ROOKIE. He hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. You all act like he has A god given right to be starter. And how dare the owner say he has to earn the position. This isn't college. This is PROFESSIONAL. Big, big difference.

I dont have a problem telling him in private but coming out and saying it openly was a little too much. I think they obviously are divided on him. Why he was passed up twice, tried to trade for Cousins, wrote Bridgewater on the card (that one might be untrue), QB coaching having to text owner to draft him, homeless man giving advice to owner, lol! I mean really, this needs to be made into a movie. All that matters is Manziel is on board and i think he is.

I guess you don't understand what actions speak louder than words means. You're getting caught up in media speculation and accepting it as fact. Actions are all that matter.

As has been said and discussed ad nauseum, Haslem's statement was more about tempering the fans expectations of seeing JM start right off the bat than anything else, hence the need for it to be public.

Your boy seems to believe he needs to earn his spot as well.

I also think it's a good idea to say something like that public.

Kinda get the naysayers off your back.

As far as Kirk Cousins I'm not positive The Brass is all that secure with Brian Hoyer's knee.

Also if something like that is enough to shatter Johnny's fragile psyche he's probably not going to last long in the National Football League. I'm sure he's cool with it

WSS

I dont have a problem telling him in private but coming out and saying it openly was a little too much. I think they obviously are divided on him. Why he was passed up twice, tried to trade for Cousins, wrote Bridgewater on the card (that one might be untrue), QB coaching having to text owner to draft him, homeless man giving advice to owner, lol! I mean really, this needs to be made into a movie. All that matters is Manziel is on board and i think he is.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Every team in the league will entertain any trade offer that will make their team better and I must have missed where we "tried to trade for Cousins." Sure there was talk about both here and on various media sites, but I never heard any offers thrown out. Now on to the QB coach "having" to text the owner to draft Manziel, he may have sent a text message to them, but that doesn't mean that the text message was the reason they drafted Johnny Manziel. If you think that, then the Browns are in a lot of trouble, because they value the opinion of a QB coach more than anyone else in the organization. Now on to the most ridiculous thing that you said and the media has been reporting, about the homeless man giving advice to Haslam. So what that someone that is homeless told him to draft Manziel and we drafted him, I can bet you that someone somewhere else told him to draft Sammy Watkins, and someone somewhere else told him to draft Blake Bortles. This is so stupid. This media stuff that is making people say things exactly like this is beyond ridiculous.

Some of you newbs make me laugh. Manziel is a rookie, ROOKIE. He hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. You all act like he has A god given right to be starter. And how dare the owner say he has to earn the position. This isn't college. This is PROFESSIONAL. Big, big difference.

Of course he needs to earn the job, but lets be real here for a moment, he isn't competing with Peyton Manning... he is competing with a guy who is a former undrafted free agent, who has been cut by New England, Pittsburgh, and Arizona, has only started four games in his career... and that was before he blew his knee out.

Of course he needs to earn the job, but lets be real here for a moment, he isn't competing with Peyton Manning... he is competing with a guy who is a former undrafted free agent, who has been cut by New England, Pittsburgh, and Arizona, has only started four games in his career... and that was before he blew his knee out.

There are many bronze bust's in Canton that were undrafted free agents. Brian Hoyer may be on the verge of becoming a very talented QB, our offense was in quicksand when he was not in there and appeared to move fluidly with him. How many remember fans in Mich couldn't wait to get rid of Brady most people probably think he was good before he got to the NFL.

Archived