THE BROWNS BOARD

Hump Day cancelled because Somali Muslims offended in MN

Is This The Most Ridiculous Campus P.C. Story of the Year?

by Top Right News on May 17, 2014 in Education

by Jason DeWitt | Top Right News

We reported multiple stories of Hispanics forcing the cancellation of Cinco de Mayo-themed parties and/or fundraisers this month, calling them “racist.” But this story is even more ridiculous.

The Residence Hall Association (RHA) at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota was going to celebrate the end of the school year with a “hump day” event modeled after the popular GEICO commercial which has a camel walking through an office asking, “Guess what day it is?

But the event, which was to feature a live camel, was canceled after complaints that bringing a camel on campus couldoffend those of Middle Eastern cultures.

You heard right. This was seemingly benign event, “a petting zoo type of atmosphere” in which students could hang out and take photos with the camel. But other students were upset about it.

Per Campus Reform, “The complaining students said they were concerned that it would be racially insensitive to Middle Eastern cultures. The Facebook group called ‘Protest Hump DAAAAAAY!’ had more than 100 RSVP’d attendees before it was deleted on Wednesday.”

camel.jpg

RHA President Lindsay Goodwin added this statement to the group’s Facebook page:

RHA’s goal in programming is to bring residents together in a fun and safe environment where all people can enjoy themselves.
It appears however, this program is dividing people and would make for an uncomfortable and possibly unsafe environment for everyone attending or providing the program
. As a result, RHA has decided to cancel the event.
We are sorry to the students who brought forward the idea and to those students who were supportive of the program. We look forward to seeing all of you at future RHA events.
–Lindsay Goodwin, Current RHA President
Goodwin declined to comment any further to Campus Reform other than to clarify that there were no expenses spent or lost on the event.

Unsafe? How so? Is that because Minnesota’s rapidly increasing Muslim population has been fueled by tens of thousands of Somali refugees — hundreds of who who have latertrained for terror at Al Queda camps? So we can expect similar faux “outrages” any time these aggrieved Muslims complain, as we see in Dearborn, Michigan on nearly a weekly basis.

And if you read the posting carefully, at no point does it say it was the ME students that complained that it could be offensive, but others that were worried the ME students would be offended. If you are an ME student than you are either offended or not. The amount of bull, sorry I mean, camel shit in this article is hilarious. Keep at it though, Diehard, we all know why you are suddenly posting all this shit now.

The fact is a lot of people worry about offending others regardless of whether or not those others really are offended, and there is nothing offensive about bringing a camel on campus. I hit a home run in a company softball game once. One of the managers called me the Bomber. Later on he called me into his office to apologize he didn't realize what he said and he didn't mean it as a stereotype. I told him I took it exactly like he meant it and the other meaning never entered my mind.

Osiris I never once thought that the Middle Eastern kids are at the bottom of this stupid shit.

Kids love attention and look! This got nationwide press.

WSS

Of course you didn't. You have a brain and reading comprehension skills.

Hey shit for brains aka MLD Woody...

You do realize the guys in your avi are anti religious and don't like Muslims. Degrasse Tyson debated a few of them and has offended quite a few himself.

Alright? I'm not exactly the biggest fan of religion either ... lol

Archived