THE BROWNS BOARD

Sherlock

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but apparently it's a British series. It's based on Sherlock Holmes and dr. Watson but set in modern day London. Just the characters remain the same.

I was surprised, after watching one episode, that the writing and acting is as good as it is!

All the original characters motivations seem to be reasonably intact as is brother Mycroft who has never completely righted himself with Sherlock's behavior.

And so far Professor Moriarty is as vague as ever.

WSS

This is an amazing series! It's pretty big news here when it's on, but it's only been on for 9 episodes, over three seasons, in the last what, 4 years? Trouble is fitting in all the actors, like Bennedict Cumberbath (Sherlock, Kahn/Star Trek etc) and Martin Freeman (Dr Watson, The Hobbit, others).

The series was written by the same guy who wrote Dr Who recently, Steven Moffat. Excellent show, can't get enough of it, very intellectual, and quite funny at times.

I think there's some show called 'Elementary'? Is that the one you're talking about? I took a quick look, and it was shite. Not so fussed about the national treasure bit! But if someone took a crowbar to Prince Philip, fucked up that national treasure, that wouldn't go down so well. Well, maybe with the republicans (anti-monarchy type, not anti-abortion types :P )

Ha. I remember elementary and it was a turd indeed.

no the Dresden Files or a different series of books but the Canadians fucked up but we don't really consider Harry Dresden the national treasure like I would assume Sherlock Holmes is.

;)

Is Philip descended from Arthur?

WSS

Philip is actually of greek descent. He's an absolutely hilarious kind of guy, he comes out with the most outrageous things, considering he's effectively an ambassador for the UK. To give you some idea (and htese may be slightly incorrect but the gist is there):

Off to China are you? Don't stay there too long, you'll come back slitty eyed!

“Cats kill far more birds than men. Why don’t you have a slogan: ‘Kill a cat and save a bird?
To President of Nigeria, who was in national dress, 2003: “You look like you’re ready for bed!”
Peering at a fuse box in a Scottish factory, he said: “It looks as though it was put in by an Indian.”
“If you travel as much as we do, you appreciate the improvements in aircraft design of less noise and more comfort – provided you don’t travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.
To black politician Lord Taylor of Warwick, 1999: “And what exotic part of the world do you come from?”
“People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.”

Philip is actually of greek descent. He's an absolutely hilarious kind of guy, he comes out with the most outrageous things, considering he's effectively an ambassador for the UK. To give you some idea (and htese may be slightly incorrect but the gist is there):

Off to China are you? Don't stay there too long, you'll come back slitty eyed!

“Cats kill far more birds than men. Why don’t you have a slogan: ‘Kill a cat and save a bird?

To President of Nigeria, who was in national dress, 2003: “You look like you’re ready for bed!”

Peering at a fuse box in a Scottish factory, he said: “It looks as though it was put in by an Indian.”

“If you travel as much as we do, you appreciate the improvements in aircraft design of less noise and more comfort – provided you don’t travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.

To black politician Lord Taylor of Warwick, 1999: “And what exotic part of the world do you come from?”

“People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.”

just wondering... Prince Phillip quote, or yours... either way it seems a bit UN PC for libs like you eh?

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but apparently it's a British series. It's based on Sherlock Holmes and dr. Watson but set in modern day London. Just the characters remain the same.

I was surprised, after watching one episode, that the writing and acting is as good as it is!

All the original characters motivations seem to be reasonably intact as is brother Mycroft who has never completely righted himself with Sherlock's behavior.

And so far Professor Moriarty is as vague as ever.

WSS

I assume you are talking about the Bernard Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman version. I have watched it since it started being aired and enjoy it very much.

(I have not, however watched the American version set in NY with Lucy Liu as Watson......it just seems too contrived for me)

This is an amazing series! It's pretty big news here when it's on, but it's only been on for 9 episodes, over three seasons, in the last what, 4 years? Trouble is fitting in all the actors, like Bennedict Cumberbath (Sherlock, Kahn/Star Trek etc) and Martin Freeman (Dr Watson, The Hobbit, others).

The series was written by the same guy who wrote Dr Who recently, Steven Moffat. Excellent show, can't get enough of it, very intellectual, and quite funny at times.

And of course Martin Freeman is now over here doing the TV version of Fargo. (Can we assume that he has completed his turn as Bilbo...even though the 3rd movie is yet to come out?)

FWIW, as good as Cumberbatch is in the updated version, I have seen nothing yet to match Jeremy Brett in the role....though Basil Rathbone came close.

Archived