THE BROWNS BOARD

Memorial Day Weekend

TexasAg1969

Didn't know which board to put this on so moderators can move it if they wish.

In memory of 1LT Jim Cartright and Capt. Steve Mullin -KIA 1971 and 1972 respectively

For Capt. Vinh Vu and SSGT Lee Van Ngoc-both MIA 1975- to whom I owe my life.

This former 1LT USAR INF will never forget your sacrifices.

Other members feel free to add other names this Memorial Day Weekend 2014.

In Memory of My Stepfather, Richard E. Grambo. US Army .Served in Viet Nam in Charlie Company...RIP.

This is a weekend of remembrance. Bless all that stationed all over for our safety. Quick look at places that you thought we were not at.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/04/us/table.military.troops/

oddly enough irag and afpakistan arent on that list

guess barrack finally got us out of there.

Seriously though. Thank you for your service everyone. If I were president. I would just march you home where you belong.

I would just march you home where you belong.

yep. time for a big regroup.

hats off to everyone who has served this great country and protected our freedom. to all the vets on here, i respect and admire everyone of you. to all those who have fallen or who are still paying in one way or another for their service...... god bless.

Need a ruling: What if the person killed in war was not an American.....and was not a soldier but was a civilian employee of the military? Does that person count for Memorial Day?

I think so if he was serving our country. There are a lot of civilian contractors to the military.

Need a ruling: What if the person killed in war was not an American.....and was not a soldier but was a civilian employee of the military? Does that person count for Memorial Day?

Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the men and women who died while serving in the country's armed forces.[1] The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the last Monday of May,[2] was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil Warto commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the war. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.[1] It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

so, no a civilian employee would not count. The reason it states 'serving in the country's armed forces.'

Maybe not officially. But in the province where I served there were three American engineers working for a civilian construction firm who were blown off the road with a command detonated mine and then shot in the head. I never knew their names, but I certainly always remember them on Memorial Day. The Viet Cong made no distinctions, so neither do I.

Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the men and women who died while serving in the country's armed forces.[1] The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the last Monday of May,[2] was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil Warto commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the war. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.[1] It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

so, no a civilian employee would not count. The reason it states 'serving in the country's armed forces.'

Well, here is the deal. I am talking about my grandfather, who is the only person that I am aware who was related to me who was killed in war. He worked for the British Admiralty as a civil engineer.....and actually serving a country of which he was not even a citizen. (He was Irish working for the UK). He was killed in 1940....before we saw fit to join the fight, by a Nazi bomb that hit the building he was working in at one of the British southern ports (either Southhampton or Portsmouth...I don't recall which).

OK, so, after some research, it appears that in the British Commonwealth, they have converted November 11 into "Remembrance Day", more or less paralleling out Memorial Day, where we recognize 11/11 as Veterans Day...a slightly different holiday....to remember Veterans who survived.

Archived